Relativistic vs. Nonrelativistic KE Operator question

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has started taking a MOOC quantum mechanics course with little background knowledge in the subject. The first lecture discusses the time-dependent Schrodinger Equation for a single, nonrelativistic particle. The person is struggling to understand the equation and the jump from one representation to another. Another person suggests starting with a course that covers the foundations of QM to better understand the subject. However, the person is determined to try their best and make the most of the opportunity.
Zacarias Nason
Hey, folks. I, on a whim today, started taking a MOOC quantum mechanics course that I have the functional math skills necessary to do but have virtually no background knowledge of quantum to start with and am incredibly rusty on stuff like PDE's; Quite frankly I'm out of my league, but the course just started and I'm going to work my butt off to do as well as I can and at least pass. The first lecture of the course is discussing the time-dependent Schrodinger Equation for a single, nonrelativistic particle:

[tex]i \hbar \frac{\partial \psi(x,t)}{\partial t} = \bigg( - \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + v(x,t) \bigg) \psi (x,t)[/tex]

And he makes it clear that it's obvious that we can tell that this is the nonrelativistic version because of the kinetic energy operator is p^2/2m. But I don't see p^2/2m, I see what is a kinetic energy operator, [tex]\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}[/tex], but that isn't equivalent to p^2/2m, is it? I'm guessing based on poking around Wikipedia that this has to do with the Hamiltonian/Lagrangian, of which I think I only ever messed with Hamiltonians in Analytical Mechanics, a little bit. How do I understand the jump from one representation to another?

Physics news on Phys.org
The momentum operator is [itex]i \hbar \nabla [/itex].

Yes, you right when you say you are out of your league. I think you need to start a course or two further back. You will understand QM faster and better by getting the foundations in order than by failing this class, possibly a few times.

Likes Zacarias Nason
It's already both a rare opportunity and literally sunk cost at this point and I have a huge wealth of free time for the next months, so I might just try really hard..that being said, I trust your judgment and quite frankly feel like things won't end well. I genuinely had no idea what I was getting myself into, but, eh.

Vanadium 50 said:
The momentum operator is [itex]i \hbar \nabla [/itex].
The minus sign is not detected.

Related to Relativistic vs. Nonrelativistic KE Operator question

1. What is the difference between relativistic and nonrelativistic kinetic energy operators?

The relativistic kinetic energy operator takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, on the kinetic energy of a particle. The nonrelativistic kinetic energy operator, on the other hand, only considers the classical Newtonian mechanics of a particle's motion.

2. How is the relativistic kinetic energy operator derived?

The relativistic kinetic energy operator is derived using the principles of special relativity, specifically the equation E=mc2 and the relativistic momentum equation p=mv/√(1-v2/c2). By substituting the relativistic momentum equation into the classical kinetic energy equation, the relativistic kinetic energy operator is obtained.

3. What are the applications of the relativistic kinetic energy operator?

The relativistic kinetic energy operator is used in various fields of physics, such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It is also used in technologies such as particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.

4. How does the nonrelativistic kinetic energy operator compare to the relativistic one?

The nonrelativistic kinetic energy operator is a special case of the relativistic kinetic energy operator when the speed of the particle is significantly lower than the speed of light. In this case, the effects of special relativity are negligible and the classical Newtonian mechanics can be used.

5. Can the relativistic kinetic energy operator be used for all types of particles?

Yes, the relativistic kinetic energy operator can be applied to all types of particles, including massive particles like electrons and protons, as well as massless particles like photons. However, for massless particles, the equation reduces to E=pc, where p is the momentum of the particle.