Relativity of Measures: A vs B Frame & Light Source S

• B
  • Thread starter AlMetis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, an observer at rest in an inertial frame of reference would see the light flash from the source as originating from an angle different from the angle the observer would see it originate from if they were in the moving frame.
Dale said:
If I understand you correctly the asymmetry that you are worried about is that t(E2)−t(E1)<t(E4)−t(E3). Is that a correct understanding of the asymmetry you are looking at?
Yes.
With one correction, that does not change your question or my answer.
As robphy points out I have the green too far up the timeline, it should be below the blue.

Physics news on Phys.org
AlMetis said:
Yes.
With one correction, that does not change your question or my answer.
As robphy points out I have the green too far up the timeline, it should be below the blue.
OK, then the answer is
Dale said:
... you think some symmetry is predicted and it isn’t, ...
Relativity does not predict that ##t(E_2)-t(E_1)=t(E_4)-t(E_3)## in all frames

Dale said:
Relativity does not predict that t(E2)−t(E1)=t(E4)−t(E3) in all frames
I am not saying it does.

I am saying that what relativity does predict will be observed when at rest with Green, t ( E 2 ) − t ( E 1 ) = t ( E 4 ) − t ( E 3 ) in diagram 1. changes when the information not available in diagram 1 is revealed in diagram 2. when t ( E 2 ) − t ( E 1 ) ≠ t ( E 4 ) − t ( E 3 ).

We are still at rest with Green and the symmetry of the motion between Red, Green and Blue still exists, but the time of the light pulse, i.e. the distance travelled observed at rest with Green, is not what is predicted from the information available in diagram 1.

I thought about this last night and realized there is a much more familiar way to pose my question.
I’ll post it shortly.

AlMetis said:
I am not saying it does.
Yes, you did:
AlMetis said:
But we don’t regain the symmetry.
The symmetry is not exclusive to Galilean relativity, it is also predicted by Einsteinian relativity on the left and lost on the right.

Why did it disappear?
(emphasis added)

I don’t need you to defend your words, but that was my reason to be involved in the thread.

AlMetis said:
the information not available in diagram 1 is revealed in diagram 2
The amount of information is the same in both diagrams. The Lorentz transform is a lossless transformation in terms of information. The representation is different, but the amount of information is the same. There is no unavailable information that is revealed.

AlMetis said:
I thought about this last night and realized there is a much more familiar way to pose my question.
I’ll post it shortly.
I think not. This is useless. We are nearly 150 posts in and you are still trying to formulate your question. Nobody coming to this thread later will know to look on page 5 for the question.

I am going to close this thread. Please do not post your new question shortly. There are only a few days left in the month. Take that time to formulate the question well and do not post a new thread until the beginning of next month.

When you do, please label all important events, worldlines, measures, and frames. Do not refer to any frame variant quantity (speed, distance, time) without explicitly mentioning the frame. And use LaTeX to write symbols.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, PeterDonis, weirdoguy and 2 others