Relativity with energy and momentum question

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a pi meson, including its rest mass, total energy, and momentum. The first two parts of the question are solved using equations and formulas. However, the third part, which involves the decay of the pi meson into two photons, proves to be more challenging. The observer must consider the asymmetric nature of the decay in the lab frame and the potential violation of momentum conservation. The difference in angles and velocities of the two photons is related to the Doppler effect, but formulas for this effect are not practical in this scenario.
StonedPhysicist
Here is the question, I was able to complete part a and b but c has beaten me!

A pi meson has rest mass 131 MeVc-2 and total energy 1.000 GeV

a) What is its momentum, expressed in MeVc-1
For this I obtained 991 MeVc-1 using the equation E2=c2p2+M2c4

b) By how much is its speed less than c?
Using γ=E/mc2 i got a value of γ = 7.63 so therefore this system is highly relativistic then subbed this into γ=1/√(1-v2/c2) to get an answer of 2.57x106 ms-1 less than c.

c) This is the one i am stuck on: The pi meson decays in flight into two photons. Find the maximum and minimum energies (in MeV) possible for the photons in the coordinate system (or reference frame) of the observer who measures this total energy, and the minimum and maximum wavelengths corresponding to these energies.

I do not quite understand what it means by or how to get the maximum and minimum energies. I would of assumed both photons get half the total energy and half the total momentum each.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the rest frame of the pion, the decay is symmetric, but in the lab frame (where the pion is moving) it can be asymmetric. The two photons can have different angles relative to the pion flight direction.

mfb said:
In the rest frame of the pion, the decay is symmetric, but in the lab frame (where the pion is moving) it can be asymmetric. The two photons can have different angles relative to the pion flight direction.

I don't see how this will give them different energies though?

could it be a doppler effect?

StonedPhysicist said:
I don't see how this will give them different energies though?
Imagine one flying in the pion flight direction and one backwards. If they would have the same energy and momentum, total momentum would be zero after the decay but non-zero before. A violation of momentum conservation.

It is related to the Doppler effect, but formulas for that are impractical here.

Related to Relativity with energy and momentum question

What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how gravity affects the motion of objects in space and time.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity includes accelerated motion and the effects of gravity.

How does relativity relate to energy?

Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², shows that energy and mass are interchangeable and that a small amount of mass can produce a large amount of energy. This is a key component of the theory of relativity.

How does relativity affect momentum?

Relativity states that momentum is not a fixed quantity, but rather it depends on the frame of reference in which it is measured. This means that an object's momentum can change depending on its speed and location in space.

What are some real-world applications of relativity?

Relativity has been used to explain the orbits of planets, the behavior of black holes, and the effects of gravity on light. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as GPS systems and nuclear energy.