How Can You Remove Dissolved Oxygen from Water Without Chemicals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of rusting in water-filled test tubes containing magnetite sculptures. The speaker mentions that one of the specifications is chemical-free water, ruling out the use of oxygen scavengers. They believe that the dissolved oxygen is causing the rusting and are looking for a relatively easy process to remove it. It is suggested to use boiled and distilled water with a layer of oil to create a barrier, but the speaker has already tried this without success. Other options such as degassing the water with a vacuum chamber and using cathodic protection are also mentioned.
Fabricator123
Hello, I am working with an artist to build enclosures that would hold magnetite sculptures in water filled test tubes... and they are rusting. One of the specifications I was given is it has to be chemical free water, so that rules out oxygen scavengers. Seeing as it is the dissolved oxygen I believe that is causing the rusting, I was looking for a 'relatively' easy process I can do myself to remove the dissolved oxygen. I know there are a lot of problems with this idea, but first I would like to tackle the dissolved oxygen. Many thanks.

Likes ISamson
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Is the water deionized in your project?

Standard procedure for removing oxygen call for purging it with an inert gas (like argon or nitrogen). Note that it has to be sealed after that.

Chemical free water in this context means mostly water that has no dissolved ions that speed up charge transfer. If you have an oxygen free water dissolved ions should not matter (no oxygen -> no oxidation). So in the sealed container presence of the oxygen scavenger should not facilitate rusting - yes, there are ions, but there is no process they can speed up.

Distilled (DI, RO) water will definitely slow down the rusting, but whole things still has to be sealed so that no oxygen can enter the solution.

Likes Asymptotic
Fabricator123 said:
One of the specifications I was given is it has to be chemical free water, so that rules out oxygen scavengers. Seeing as it is the dissolved oxygen I believe that is causing the rusting, I was looking for a 'relatively' easy process I can do myself to remove the dissolved oxygen.

Have a look at "The rusting process of water" (http://www.docbrown.info/page03/Reactivitya.htm). Put the sculptures into boiled, distilled water in a sealed enclosure, with a layer of oil, too. The boiling drives off dissolved air and the oil provides an extra barrier.

Likes Asymptotic
Removal of oxygen will stop rust forming ie iron 3 oxide. However corrosion to the iron2 stage is possible and will generate hydrogen, but very slowly. The oxidation of iron in central heating systems in the absence of oxygen produces hydrogen, which is vented away normally. Are you creating a system that could overpressureise over time?

Oops sorry, misread magnatite not iron, you should be OK

Ivan Samsonov said:
Welcome to PF!
Is the water deionized in your project?
Yes, I have tried deionized and distilled water.

Lord Jestocost said:
Have a look at "The rusting process of water" (http://www.docbrown.info/page03/Reactivitya.htm). Put the sculptures into boiled, distilled water in a sealed enclosure, with a layer of oil, too. The boiling drives off dissolved air and the oil provides an extra barrier.
I have tried this and still a browning of the scuplture is occurring, I have also added Polyvinyl Alcohol to create a barrier, but still I get a slight browning.

alchemyst said:
Removal of oxygen will stop rust forming ie iron 3 oxide. However corrosion to the iron2 stage is possible and will generate hydrogen, but very slowly. The oxidation of iron in central heating systems in the absence of oxygen produces hydrogen, which is vented away normally. Are you creating a system that could overpressureise over time?
I was leaving an air bubble at the top to help with heating and expanding, but no way to release pressure. The sculptures are quite small, so I am not sure how much hydrogen would be released.

Borek said:
Standard procedure for removing oxygen call for purging it with an inert gas (like argon or nitrogen). Note that it has to be sealed after that.

Chemical free water in this context means mostly water that has no dissolved ions that speed up charge transfer. If you have an oxygen free water dissolved ions should not matter (no oxygen -> no oxidation). So in the sealed container presence of the oxygen scavenger should not facilitate rusting - yes, there are ions, but there is no process they can speed up.

Distilled (DI, RO) water will definitely slow down the rusting, but whole things still has to be sealed so that no oxygen can enter the solution.

The test tubes have a cap are and tightly sealed. Would degassing water with a vacuum chamber have the same effect of removing dissolved oxygen as purging it would?

Fabricator123 said:
The test tubes have a cap are and tightly sealed. Would degassing water with a vacuum chamber have the same effect of removing dissolved oxygen as purging it would?

In general probably yes, but I have no idea how fast it will be. Purging with an inert gas - for small volumes, like 50-100 mL - does the trick in about 15 minutes. Or at least that was the standard procedure we followed during experiments.

Fabricator123 said:
I have tried this and still a browning of the scuplture is occurring, I have also added Polyvinyl Alcohol to create a barrier, but still I get a slight browning.

What about cathodic protection or sacrificial protection (see under "Rust prevention" at http://www.docbrown.info/page03/Reactivitya.htm) with a small piece of zinc connected to the sculpture?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Asymptotic

What is the purpose of removing dissolved oxygen from water?

The purpose of removing dissolved oxygen from water is to reduce the amount of oxygen present in water. This is important in certain industries, such as brewing and wastewater treatment, where high levels of dissolved oxygen can negatively affect the quality of the final product.

How do you remove dissolved oxygen from water?

Dissolved oxygen can be removed from water through various processes such as aeration, chemical treatment, and membrane separation. Aeration involves exposing water to air, allowing oxygen to escape. Chemical treatment involves adding chemicals that react with dissolved oxygen, converting it into a non-dissolved gas. Membrane separation uses a semi-permeable membrane to separate dissolved oxygen from water molecules.

What are the effects of high levels of dissolved oxygen in water?

High levels of dissolved oxygen in water can lead to various negative effects, including corrosion of metal pipes and equipment, changes in pH levels, and damage to aquatic life. In wastewater treatment, high levels of dissolved oxygen can also hinder the growth of certain bacteria responsible for breaking down pollutants.

Can removing dissolved oxygen from water be harmful?

Removing dissolved oxygen from water in controlled environments, such as in industrial processes, is not harmful. However, removing dissolved oxygen from water in natural environments can have negative impacts on aquatic ecosystems. This is because dissolved oxygen is essential for aquatic organisms to survive.

Are there any methods for removing dissolved oxygen from water that are more environmentally friendly?

Yes, there are methods for removing dissolved oxygen from water that are more environmentally friendly. These include using natural aeration methods, such as plants and algae, and implementing sustainable chemical treatment processes that minimize the use of harsh chemicals. It is also important to carefully monitor and control the amount of dissolved oxygen removed to minimize negative impacts on aquatic life.