What chemicals will take up dissolved oxygen?

In summary, the student is developing a model of dissolved oxygen consumption by yeast in the fermentation process. They would like to use a solution that will predictably take up DO over the course of 1 or 2 hours so that they can test a more basic model with the laboratory equipment they have. This would prove they have the means to test a model of the more complex fermentation process.The DO will be bubbled up through the solution in a fermentation tank. The student is a senior Bioengineering undergraduate student and does not have much experience with or knowledge of useful chemicals, so they need your help. What cost effective chemicals will take up DO over the course of 1 to 2 hours, much the way yeast consumes DO in the fermentation process?
MenkeBenjammin
I am developing a model of dissolved oxygen (DO) consumption by yeast in the fermentation process. I would like to use a solution that will predictably take up DO over the course of 1 or 2 hours so that I can test a more basic model with the laboratory equipment I have. This would prove I have the means to test a model of the more complex fermentation process.

The DO will be bubbled up through the solution in a fermentation tank. I am a senior Bioengineering undergraduate student, and I do not have much experience with or knowledge of useful chemicals so I need your help.

What cost effective chemicals will take up DO over the course of 1 to 2 hours, much the way yeast consumes DO in the fermentation process?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you looking for something with a specific reaction/stoichiometry to use as an additional analytical method, or would something that requires calibration be suitable?

Edit: (add) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_scavenger

Last edited:
Something with a specific stoichiometry is what I am imagining. In this way I could apply a linear flow rate of air bubbled through the solution until it is saturated.

I'm not sure what you mean by "something that requires calibration".

Just thinking in terms of using charcoal/activated carbon. You did say, "cost effective," which I translated as "cheap."

Yes, cheap is the idea! But I think relatively cheap in the world of Sigma Aldrich chemicals is more what I had in mind. The adsorption of DO on activated carbon depends on many things including surface area and porosity.

I need something that has only one variable; the presence of oxygen.

Thanks for your help!

At which point, hit the Wiki link for pointers to oxygen scavengers.

Bubble purge with Argon or Nitrogen .

If I understand your query you are looking for something to take up or utilize dissolved oxygen as a method to prove another process you are working on. Not knowing what your base process is I have a suggestion that may suit your needs. This assuming that you have a method of measuring dissolved oxygen at your disposal.

In the Waste water world there is a test called a BOD5 this stands for Biological Oxygen Demand at 5 days. They use a calibrated bacteria which acts very similar to a yeast. It is added to a dilution of the waste water and measured and sealed up. The bacteria uses residual biological foods and the dissolved oxygen. After 5 days it is remeasured ( post bacterial lifespan) for the amount of DO that was used the numbers produced are an indication of the waste water strength.

It would be possible to purchase or even obtain economically from a local sewage treatment plant or septic system lab some of this BOD seed. A few self developed test will give you a baseline for your own test.

1. What is dissolved oxygen and why is it important?

Dissolved oxygen (DO) refers to the amount of oxygen that is present in water or other liquids. It is important because it is necessary for the survival of aquatic organisms, and it is also an indicator of the health of a water body.

2. What chemicals can affect dissolved oxygen levels?

There are several chemicals that can affect dissolved oxygen levels, including fertilizers, pesticides, and sewage. These chemicals can lead to an increase in nutrient levels, which can then lead to an increase in algae growth. As algae die and decompose, they consume oxygen, leading to lower levels of dissolved oxygen in the water.

3. How do I measure dissolved oxygen levels?

Dissolved oxygen levels can be measured using a dissolved oxygen meter or a dissolved oxygen test kit. The meter measures the amount of oxygen in the water, while the test kit uses a chemical reaction to determine the levels.

4. What are the acceptable levels of dissolved oxygen in water?

The acceptable levels of dissolved oxygen vary depending on the type of water body. Generally, a healthy freshwater ecosystem should have dissolved oxygen levels of 5-6 mg/L, while a healthy marine ecosystem should have levels of at least 4-5 mg/L.

5. How can we increase dissolved oxygen levels in water?

One way to increase dissolved oxygen levels in water is through aeration, which involves adding oxygen to the water through mechanical means such as fountains or pumps. Another way is to reduce the amount of pollutants that can lead to decreased oxygen levels, such as limiting the use of fertilizers and properly treating sewage.