Repairing recliner couch mechanism

• Misc.
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary: ∞-2) Apply a big hammer! :cry:Yeah, I thought so too. But really the whole extension mechanism all the way to the back seems to be at-fault.I would recommend removing one or more of the hinge pins and testing the movement. This will require some delicate work, so be prepared to take pictures and/or video of the process.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Recliner couch got misaligned when it was extended with something underneath. Won't fully open. Have checked all the obvious culprits. A real headscratcher.
Bought this recliner couch DC (During Covid). Left side was opened while the Roomba was underneath and that has caused some misalignment so that now it doesn't open all the way anymore. It doesn't close all the way either, but that's hardly noticeable.

I've finally gotten the courage to flip it on its back and try to fix it. Thing is, I can't find anything amiss.

I've checked every strut against the working side, and none of them are bent or disconnected.
I've checked every pivot point and none of them have popped.
I've checked for adjustment points where a factory mechanical might fine-tune it, but as far as I can tell there are none.
I've checked that the piston is fully retracting and fully extending - both sides are the same.

What I can say is that all the struts seem to be off by an inch or so compared to the working side.
When retracted, the struts are about an inch shy of fully-retracted.
When extended, the struts don't extend enough to push the 2nd foot rest (there are two) out.

1662246156167.png

1662246858795.png

I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you interrogated the Roomba? Sounds like an inside job...can't trust those robots. Resistance is futile

Can you find parts for it online? I find the exploded drawings are often more useful than staring at the couch.
Also I have a La-Z-Boy recliner and their online service were wonderful. The lifetime warranty allowed me to rebuild the entire mechanism for 13.95 shipping fee for a bunch of new parts.
Maybe someone at the factory can point you at the part that usually screws up. My chair has a lever that lifts the feet but also releases "ratchet" when pushed back down. It requires tight tolerance

DaveC426913 said:
I'm stumped.
From here, it looks to me like a two bar hinged linkage near the end footrest, has become inverted and is being pushed upwards, instead of dropping downwards during deployment.

Likes hutchphd
hutchphd said:
Have you interrogated the Roomba? Sounds like an inside job...can't trust those robots. Resistance is futile
You may just have something there.

In unrelated shenanigans, the Roomba (who responds to "Spot" of course)
1662248873870.png

was sent to do its thing in the bedroom, but has not been seen in two weeks, despite an extensive search.
hutchphd said:
Can you find parts for it online? I find the exploded drawings are often more useful than staring at the couch.
Yeah. I've been looking. No joy yet. I get all-in-one shots from sales sites but nothing useful.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd
Baluncore said:
From here, it looks to me like a two bar hinged linkage near the end footrest, has become inverted and is being pushed upwards, instead of dropping downwards during deployment.
Yeah, I thought so too. But really the whole extension mechanism all the way to the back seems to be at-fault.

A few ideas.

1) As @Baluncore mentioned, the linkage near the end footrest sure looks confused. Try starting with the assembly in the 'closed'/'retracted' position. Then have someone pull strenuously on that last footrest while starting the 'recline' procedure in the normal fashion.

2) I can't tell for sure, but it looks like some of the linkage joints have bolts rather than rivets. If so, try removing one/some of them, then getting the footrest in the correct position and re-assemble.

∞-1) Apply a big hammer! :cry:

DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, I thought so too. But really the whole extension mechanism all the way to the back seems to be at-fault.
The mechanism is made from a chain of cross connected links. A force is applied to one end of the chain, that flows out and along the chain until there is a mechanical collision. The chain between the source and the collision will lock solid, but any link beyond the point of collision should have some movement in the hinge pins and further links.

The linkage that controls the far footrest is clearly inverted. I believe that is causing a premature collision during deployment, which limits the total movement. I therefore expect the entire chain to be rigid.

Search the chain again for the actual points of collision.

• Informative
Likes Lnewqban and DaveC426913

1. How do I know if my recliner couch mechanism needs to be repaired?

There are a few signs that indicate your recliner couch mechanism may need to be repaired. These include difficulty in reclining or returning to an upright position, unusual noises or squeaking when using the recliner, and visible damage or wear on the mechanism itself. If you experience any of these issues, it is best to have a professional inspect and repair the mechanism.

2. Can I repair the mechanism myself?

It is not recommended to attempt repairing the mechanism yourself, as it can be complex and may require special tools. Additionally, attempting to repair it yourself may void any warranty on the recliner. It is best to consult a professional or contact the manufacturer for repair services.

3. How much does it cost to repair a recliner couch mechanism?

The cost of repairing a recliner couch mechanism can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the type of recliner. On average, it can cost anywhere from $100 to $500 for repairs. It is best to get an estimate from a professional before proceeding with the repair.

4. How long does it take to repair a recliner couch mechanism?

The time it takes to repair a recliner couch mechanism can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the availability of parts. In some cases, it can be repaired within a few hours, while in others it may take a few days. It is best to consult with a professional for a more accurate timeline.

5. Can a broken recliner couch mechanism be replaced?

In most cases, yes, a broken recliner couch mechanism can be replaced. However, it may be more cost-effective to repair the existing mechanism instead of replacing it entirely. It is best to consult with a professional for their recommendation based on the specific situation.