Representation theory of supersymmetry

In summary, Lie algebras have had a significant impact in theoretical physics, particularly in the representation theory of Lie algebras. The representation theory of supersymmetry, however, is still underdeveloped and relies on the use of adinkras, which were originally intended to play this role. This is due to the complexity of non-compact Lie groups and the lack of a general representation theory for them. This highlights the need for further research in this field. Additionally, while there has been significant progress and advancements in the field of supersymmetry, it is not surprising that the fundamentals are still relatively unknown, given the difficulty of the subject.
mitchell porter
Gold Member
"Lie algebras have had a tremendous impact in theoretical physics... the Jordan-Chevalley decomposition is at the heart of the representation theory of Lie algebras.
"Little in the context of spacetime supersymmetry compares to the comprehensive nature of the representation theory achieved for Lie algebras. Two Casimir operators, the “superspin” and “mass,” are often used to provide a basis for classification. But these provide at best a partial classification. We have been developing the theory of adinkras to fill this gap." -- S.J. Gates and 12 other authors, "On the Four Dimensional Holoraumy of the 4D, N = 1 Complex Linear Supermultiplet"
I had heard of adinkras but didn't realize that they were meant to play this role. Nor did I realize that the representation theory of supersymmetry is mathematically underdeveloped.

Likes arivero
Physics news on Phys.org
This is fascinating, although it sounds a bit hard to believe. There are thousands of people who for for decades on topics related to supersymmetry, but still the fundamentals are still relatively unknown? I think one problem is that representation theory works for groups and Lie algebra, but supersymmetry is neither.

jakob1111 said:
... but supersymmetry is neither.
It's still an algebra and thus a representation theory is defined. Maybe not a convenient one. If you're interested in the subject, have a look on Virasoro algebras.

mitchell porter said:
I had heard of adinkras but didn't realize that they were meant to play this role. Nor did I realize that the representation theory of supersymmetry is mathematically underdeveloped.
I (really) am not an expert on this, but to hear that the representation theory of SUSY spacetime is underdeveloped does not a priori surprise me as - from my limited understanding - this probably involves non-compact groups, and the representation theory for e.g. general non-compact Lie groups is immensely harder than for "nice" (e.g. compact) Lie groups and is still underdeveloped within pure mathematics!

In particular, the irreps generally become infinite-dimensional, there is no natural inner product between irreps which could be used in some analogue of Schur orthogonality relations (which are extremely useful in the study of representations of compact or finite groups), etc. The irreps for non-compact Lie groups are built up case-by-case and the general theory is still unknown - in stark contrast to the representation theory of compact Lie groups which is well understood. Adinkras, as used in the paper, are probably one of the case-by-case constructions (I did not read the paper yet, but this is my guess from what you quoted).

jakob1111 said:
This is fascinating, although it sounds a bit hard to believe. There are thousands of people who for for decades on topics related to supersymmetry, but still the fundamentals are still relatively unknown?
Mathematicians have been studying Lie groups for over a hundred years and they still don't have a general representation theory for non-compact Lie groups. What makes you think that physicists could so easily crack this in a mere few decades?

P.S. I work in physics, but I took some courses in group theory at the mathematics department at our university and that is the source of my information.

Here is the quick idea of Adinkras.

I feel at times that publications in this field tend to have a high ratio of repeated conjectures and computational ideas over hard results. For a reading experience closer to the usual practice in mathematical physics I recommend the articles by Yang Zhang

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the representation theory of supersymmetry?

The representation theory of supersymmetry is a branch of mathematical physics that studies the symmetries of supersymmetric systems. It involves using mathematical tools to describe the behavior of particles and fields that exhibit supersymmetry, which is a theoretical symmetry between fermions and bosons.

2. What is the significance of supersymmetry in physics?

Supersymmetry is significant because it provides a way to unify certain theories in physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. It also helps to address some of the issues and limitations of the Standard Model of particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the lack of a dark matter candidate.

3. How does representation theory explain supersymmetry?

Representation theory explains supersymmetry by using mathematical structures called superalgebras to classify the different types of symmetries that exist in supersymmetric systems. These symmetries can then be used to construct mathematical models that describe the behavior of particles and fields in these systems.

4. What are some applications of representation theory of supersymmetry?

The representation theory of supersymmetry has a wide range of applications in theoretical physics, including string theory, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It is also used in condensed matter physics to study systems with topological order.

5. Are there any experimental confirmations of supersymmetry?

While there is currently no direct experimental evidence for supersymmetry, many physicists believe that it may be observed at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) or in future experiments. However, the lack of confirmed evidence has also led to some skepticism about the validity of supersymmetry as a theory.