Representing a region as limits of a volume integral

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving the Gauss divergence theorem for a given vector in a region bounded by a cylinder and two planes. The person is having trouble with the surface integral and is unsure of how many surfaces there are and how to represent them. The solution involves parameterizing the cylindrical surface and finding the normal vectors for the two circular ends at z= 0 and z= 3.
msslowlearner

Homework Statement

i have the region given as being bounded by x2+y2=4 and z=0 and z=3.
this problem asks to prove gauss divergence theorem for a given vector F

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As for the volume integral, i had no problem. But for the surface integral, how many surfaces are there actually? How are the normals represented?

I assumed it is a cylinder(Is it??).. and i got the normal vectors to the top surface and the bottom surfaces to be k and -k respectively. But these cancel out effectively. The problem here is i don't know how to represent any other surface, if any.. i really do not know to find the others. could you give me an idea on how to go about this ? i mean, finding the surfaces and limits..

Physics news on Phys.org
msslowlearner said:

Homework Statement

i have the region given as being bounded by x2+y2=4 and z=0 and z=3.
this problem asks to prove gauss divergence theorem for a given vector F

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As for the volume integral, i had no problem. But for the surface integral, how many surfaces are there actually? How are the normals represented?

I assumed it is a cylinder(Is it??).. and i got the normal vectors to the top surface and the bottom surfaces to be k and -k respectively. But these cancel out effectively. The problem here is i don't know how to represent any other surface, if any.. i really do not know to find the others. could you give me an idea on how to go about this ? i mean, finding the surfaces and limits..

Yes, the side surface is a cylinder. You might parameterize the surface x2+y2 = 4 for z between 0 and 3 like this:

R(θ,z) = <2cos(θ), 2sin(θ),z>, 0 ≤θ≤ 2pi, 0≤z≤3

There are three "sides", the cylindrical [itex]x^2+ y^2= 4[/itex] and two circular ends at z= 0 and z= 3.
For those good parametric equations would be [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\thet)[/itex], with r from 0 to 2 and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], z= 0 or 3.

1. What is the purpose of representing a region as limits of a volume integral?

The purpose of representing a region as limits of a volume integral is to calculate the volume of a 3-dimensional object or region. This is useful in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to solve problems involving volume and to make predictions about physical systems.

2. How do you determine the limits for a volume integral?

The limits for a volume integral are determined by the boundaries of the region in the x, y, and z directions. These boundaries can be defined by equations or inequalities that describe the shape of the region. By setting up the limits correctly, the volume of the region can be accurately calculated.

3. Can you represent any 3-dimensional region as limits of a volume integral?

Yes, any 3-dimensional region can be represented as limits of a volume integral as long as the region is bounded and the boundaries can be described by equations or inequalities. This method is applicable to a wide range of shapes, including simple geometric shapes and more complex irregular shapes.

4. What are the steps for setting up a volume integral to represent a region?

The steps for setting up a volume integral to represent a region are as follows:

1. Identify the boundaries of the region in the x, y, and z directions.

2. Determine the order of integration (which variable will be integrated first).

3. Set up the limits for each variable based on the boundaries of the region.

4. Determine the integrand (the function to be integrated) based on the volume element (dx, dy, dz).

5. What are some real-world applications of representing a region as limits of a volume integral?

Some real-world applications of representing a region as limits of a volume integral include calculating the volume of a liquid in a container, determining the mass of an irregularly shaped object, and estimating the amount of water in a reservoir. This method is also used in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer to model and analyze physical systems.