Reputation of Imperial College London in the US

In summary: As far as distance it really isn't an issue, I'll be thousands of miles from home either ways. However...Some US residents have told me that they've never heard of the ICL, even though the school is quite highly ranked internationally. If you're accepted, congratulations!
HomogenousCow
Is ICL well recognized in the United States for it's physics? Even though it's quite highly ranked internationally, I've heard some US residents tell me they've never heard of the school.
I'm in the middle of my undergrad choices right now and I'm unsure how to proceed.
(International btw)

Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly international schools will have a bit less visibility in the states but anyone who knows anything will know the ICL is a renowned school. If you get accepted then celebrate and good luck!

Likes Independent
Greg Bernhardt said:
Certainly international schools will have a bit less visibility in the states but anyone who knows anything will know the ICL is a renowned school. If you get accepted then celebrate and good luck!

In terms of quality, what school would be comparable to ICL in the United States?
I'm asking because I intend on doing my post graduate in the United States, hopefully at a top tier research university.

MIT, Caltech, Princeton.

For real?

HomogenousCow said:
For real?
Yes, it's generally regarded as the 3rd best school in the UK (just behind Oxford and Cambridge).

Almeisan said:
MIT, Caltech, Princeton.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes, it's generally regarded as the 3rd best school in the UK (just behind Oxford and Cambridge).

I'm aware of this, however I thought Imperial was a tier below the likes of MIT and Princeton.

HomogenousCow said:
I'm aware of this, however I thought Imperial was a tier below the likes of MIT and Princeton.
It's a top 15 school in the world. When you talk top 15, the lines get a bit blurred and the differences aren't usually that large. Then it's usually better to compare specific programs.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's a top 15 school in the world. When you talk top 15, the lines get a bit blurred and the differences aren't usually that large. Then it's usually better to compare specific programs.

The specific program I was accepted to recently was Msc Physics with Theoretical Physics at Imperial. I have a few more decisions coming up towards the end of the month like Berkeley and Cornell. My chances are far from certain for those schools, but I was wondering if I should take Berkeley over Imperial if I get in?
I would be much more comfortable living in the United States but I've heard that Imperial has a more detailed and focused physics program.

I would visit Berkeley because yes the lifestyle differences are very large. London is great, but if I had to choose I'd go Berkeley because the weather is so much better. However international travel is much easier with London.

HomogenousCow said:
The specific program I was accepted to recently was Msc Physics with Theoretical Physics at Imperial. I have a few more decisions coming up towards the end of the month like Berkeley and Cornell. My chances are far from certain for those schools, but I was wondering if I should take Berkeley over Imperial if I get in?
I would be much more comfortable living in the United States but I've heard that Imperial has a more detailed and focused physics program.
You can look into the course websites to compare. Keep in mind that there is no such a thing as general education at Imperial (Although that does not necessarily count as an advantage.)
Also, did you mean MSci or MSc ? because there are differences between the two.

montadhar said:
You can look into the course websites to compare. Keep in mind that there is no such a thing as general education at Imperial (Although that does not necessarily count as an advantage.)
Also, did you mean MSci or MSc ? because there are differences between the two.

Yes, my mistake.
Greg Bernhardt said:
I would visit Berkeley because yes the lifestyle differences are very large. London is great, but if I had to choose I'd go Berkeley because the weather is so much better. However international travel is much easier with London.

Thing is I'm a little daunted by how American universities work. There seems to be a huge emphasis on community culture and athletics, both of which make me a little uncomfortable.

HomogenousCow said:
Thing is I'm a little daunted by how American universities work. There seems to be a huge emphasis on community culture and athletics, both of which make me a little uncomfortable.
The culture of Berkeley is very unique and full of history. It's very liberal and full of activism. Not so much into athletics. The close proximity to San Fran is a huge plus. Fantastic area.

Greg Bernhardt said:
The culture of Berkeley is very unique and full us history. It's very liberal and full of activism. Not so much into athletics. The close proximity to San Fran is a huge plus. Fantastic area.

Is it true that the school admits a large number of underqualified in-states? It's not a huge issue but I've heard that Berkeley attracts a certain type of in-state students.

As far as distance it really isn't an issue, I'll be thousands of miles from home either ways. However I have spent a lot of time in California and loved it there.

I think you should go to the UK university, if only to be able to later tell people that you went to the Imperial College because you disagreed with how imperialistic the US has become.
Never pass an opportunity to mess with people's minds.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I go to Berkeley, what difference would it make about what some in-states are doing? All you should focus on is yourself and your research. The UC schools were made for California residents, they let international students come to pay the out-of-state tuition. I don't understand how in the OP you state you are looking for undergrad choices, then you apply for MSc degree? Interesting.

Last edited:
Maylis said:
I go to Berkeley, what difference would it make about what some in-states are doing? All you should focus on is yourself and your research. The UC schools were made for California residents, they let international students come to pay the out-of-state tuition. I don't understand how in the OP you state you are looking for undergrad choices, then you apply for MSc degree? Interesting.

Was a typo, suppose to be Msci. I'm sorry if that offended you, it was an untactful thing to say.

Last edited:

1. What is the overall reputation of Imperial College London in the US?

Imperial College London has a strong reputation in the US, particularly in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). It is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world and is highly regarded by employers and academics alike.

2. How does Imperial College London compare to top US universities?

Imperial College London ranks among the best universities in the world, often placing within the top 10. It is highly competitive and offers rigorous academic programs that are on par with top US universities. Its strong focus on research and innovation also sets it apart from other institutions.

3. Are there any notable partnerships between Imperial College London and US institutions?

Yes, Imperial College London has several partnerships with US universities and organizations. Notable examples include collaborations with MIT, Stanford, and the University of California, as well as partnerships with companies like IBM and Microsoft.

4. How do US students perceive the reputation of Imperial College London?

US students who have studied at Imperial College London often speak highly of the university's reputation. Many are drawn to its strong academic programs, research opportunities, and global perspective. Overall, the university has a positive perception among US students.

5. Does Imperial College London have a strong alumni network in the US?

Yes, Imperial College London has a thriving alumni network in the US. Its graduates can be found working in top companies and organizations across various industries. The university also has alumni chapters in major US cities, providing opportunities for networking and professional development.