Imperial College London or University of Waterloo?

In summary, the IB student wants to go to either Imperial College London or Waterloo to study mathematics and computer science, but is concerned about the high tuition cost and whether he'll enjoy living in London. He also thinks that a good US graduate school would be a good option after he completes his undergraduate studies at Waterloo.
chrypton1
Hi,

I am an IB student in Norway, and I want to go abroad to study mathematics next year. A few months ago I applied to a few British universities and got an offer from Imperial College London to do Mathematics and Computer Science next year, provided I get a 7 in higher level Math and Physics.

I am also soon going to be applying to Waterloo because I've heard its math department is quite impressive, and I really liked the university(From what I've read about it). Now obviously I haven't applied yet and so I don't have an offer from them, but I do fulfill their grade requirements and I'm hopeful about getting an offer from them.

Now my dilemma is that if I get an offer from Waterloo, where should I go?
The thing is that Imperial is a great university, but since Norway is not in the EU, I am an overseas student and will be required to pay over 20K pounds in tuition every year, and living in London is not very cheap either. The Norwegian government is very supportive when it comes to financing students who want to go abroad, but even after the scholarships they give I will have a considerable amount of debt on my hands upon finishing.

Now Waterloo is much cheaper than Imperial, even though a bachelors degree there is 4 years, as opposed to 3 in the UK. They also have the co-op program which I'm applying to. And living in Waterloo will be much cheaper than London.

I should also say that I'm interested in pure mathematics and would probably like apply to a good US grad school after I'm done with my undergraduate studies. I'm guessing Waterloo would be better for that?

So any advice is highly appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have nothing to say other then University of Waterloo has the largest Mathematics department in North America. Well, one question, which campus do you like better: http://mur.uwaterloo.ca/virtual_tour/Main%20copy.html?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone who did applied math at the University of Waterloo and he absolutely loved it.

The only problem I have with Waterloo (I live in Ontario) is that the town itself is kind of blah. But you're in a good location - close to Toronto and Niagara Falls.

I'm pretty sure with co-op, the Waterloo program will be 5 years. And Waterloo has the top co-op program in North America, and probably the world.

Yea, the architectural aspect of Waterloo is lacking some High-Tech quality. Although they are beginning to construct some beautiful buildings such as the new math department, the Quantum-Nano Center, Institute for Quantum Computing and the Perimeter Institute.

Yes, the co-op program is 5 years long. The basic bachelor's degree is 4 years.

Thanks, I think Waterloo is the place to go for me :)

Good luck and have fun!

1. What are the main differences between Imperial College London and University of Waterloo?

Imperial College London and University of Waterloo are both highly reputable universities, but there are some key differences between them. Firstly, Imperial College London is located in London, UK, while University of Waterloo is located in Waterloo, Canada. Additionally, Imperial College London has a stronger focus on science and technology fields, while University of Waterloo has a broader range of academic programs. The student population at Imperial College London is also smaller, with around 17,000 students compared to University of Waterloo's 36,000 students.

2. Which university has a better reputation in terms of research and innovation?

Both Imperial College London and University of Waterloo have strong reputations in research and innovation. However, Imperial College London is consistently ranked higher in global university rankings for its research output and impact. It is also home to several world-renowned research centers and has a strong track record of commercializing research and fostering innovation.

3. What are the job prospects for graduates of Imperial College London and University of Waterloo?

Both universities have excellent job prospects for their graduates. Imperial College London has a strong partnership with major companies and organizations, providing students with opportunities for internships, research projects, and job placements. University of Waterloo also has a cooperative education program, where students can gain practical work experience throughout their studies. Both universities have high graduate employment rates, with Imperial College London at 94% and University of Waterloo at 95%.

4. Which university has a better campus and student life?

This is subjective and can vary depending on personal preferences. Imperial College London has a more urban and compact campus, with most of its facilities and student accommodations located in central London. University of Waterloo, on the other hand, has a larger and more spread-out campus with a mix of modern and traditional buildings. In terms of student life, both universities have a vibrant and diverse community with numerous clubs, societies, and events for students to participate in.

5. What are the admission requirements and application process for these universities?

The admission requirements and application process for Imperial College London and University of Waterloo can vary depending on the program and country of origin. Generally, both universities require strong academic performance and proficiency in English. International students may also need to take standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, or TOEFL. The application process typically involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. It is important to check the specific requirements and deadlines for each university and program.