Require assistance in physics concepts

In summary, Dave is asking for help with a high school physics exam he doesn't know how to do. He has tried to find information on his own but doesn't understand terminology and concepts. He asks if anyone has done research on the topics and asks for help finding information.
possiblyanidiot
I didn't know whether to post this here or the homework section. But because this isn't actually homework and there are no questions that require mathematical processes, I thought this would be a better place to post it. Feel free to redirect it to wherever it should belong.

So quick backstory. I am in high school and am reaching my final exam block. I offhandedly said to the physics teacher that I'd sit his exam, even though I haven't done the subject and having zero prior knowledge. I know this is annoying to help but I am a man(almost) of my word. By the way, due to previous exams for subjects that I actually do, I haven't been able to study this subject until today.

The exam is in 12 hours and I'd like to be more than a useless duck with a big ego.

With that being said, these are the concepts I need to learn:

- Photoelectric Effect, what is it? Honestly, it sounds pretty awesome.

- Carbon 14 1/2 life and how I could justify it through physics

- Explaining and understanding fission of nuclei

- How an electro microscope works

- Mass defect and Nuclear fission

I tried looking these up on my own but due to having zero base knowledge on the topic, I don't understand half the terminology.

Physics news on Phys.org
well there is a lifetime of study across all those subjects

sounds like time you learned how to do research
have you bothered to google any of them, it would easily provide all your answers ?

Dave

davenn said:
well there is a lifetime of study across all those subjects

sounds like time you learned how to do research
have you bothered to google any of them, it would easily provide all your answers ?

Dave
I actually have. However, there are so many terms I don't understand that go hand in hand with these topics that I have no idea how to grasp the concepts.

1. What are the basic concepts in physics?

The basic concepts in physics include motion, forces, energy, momentum, and thermodynamics. These concepts help us understand the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss and clarify any difficult concepts.

3. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the belief that all objects fall at the same rate, that heat and temperature are the same, and that electricity flows from positive to negative. It is important to understand these misconceptions and correct them to have a better understanding of physics concepts.

4. How can I apply physics concepts in real life?

Physics concepts can be applied in many areas of our daily lives, such as understanding how objects move, how electricity works, and how heat and energy are transferred. By understanding these concepts, we can make better decisions and solve problems in various fields, including engineering, medicine, and technology.

5. What are some useful resources for learning physics concepts?

Some useful resources for learning physics concepts include textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, educational websites, and practice problems with solutions. It is also helpful to engage in hands-on experiments or demonstrations to better understand and visualize the concepts.