Required time and distance calculation of a shock wave

In summary: So it will be heard AFTER it passes over head.In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the distance and time of a shock wave created by a supersonic plane passing overhead. The first attempt involves finding the hypotenuse of a triangle and dividing it by the speed of sound wave, resulting in a time of 13.07 seconds. However, there is uncertainty about the accuracy of this answer. Further discussion involves drawing diagrams and considering the movement of the shock wave in order to determine the correct answer.
Edel Crine
Homework Statement
A jet flying directly over you at an altitude of 3000 m produces
a shock wave. If the angle of the shock wave is 42°,
(a) how long will it be until the sonic boom reaches you, and
(b) how far does the jet travel during this time interval?
Relevant Equations
sin(θ)=vs/c
Untitled.png

I draw this picture in order to solve this problem. My first attempt was find the hypotenuse of the triangle and divide it by the speed of sound wave.
d=a/sin(θ)
d=4483.43m
t=d/c=13.07 sec
However, I am not sure whether I did it correctly or not... It looks the time is too big as an answer...
I appreciate every help from you! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks reasonable to me. Just think about the 3000m altitude and the speed of sound being 343m/s. That means if the aircraft were stationary right above you, it would take about 8.7 seconds for a sound to travel from it to you. So including the angular displacement because it's moving will increase the time somewhat, but probably not double it. :smile:

Likes Edel Crine
berkeman said:
Looks reasonable to me. Just think about the 3000m altitude and the speed of sound being 343m/s. That means if the aircraft were stationary right above you, it would take about 8.7 seconds for a sound to travel from it to you. So including the angular displacement because it's moving will increase the time somewhat, but probably not double it. :smile:
Actually, I'm having second thoughts about this answer now. I'll need to ask some others to have a look...

Likes Edel Crine
I'm finding an answer to (a) that is less than 7 seconds. I think it helps to draw the shockwave cone (Mach cone) at the instant the plane is directly overhead as well as the cone at the instant the shockwave reaches the person on the ground.

Likes etotheipi and Edel Crine
The sound doesn't propagate along d. What is labeled d is the place that receives sound at the same time.

Simple cross check: You receive the sound from the airplane that's directly above you within less than 10 seconds. The airplane will be audible even before that.

Likes Edel Crine
mfb said:
The sound doesn't propagate along d. What is labeled d is the place that receives sound at the same time.

Simple cross check: You receive the sound from the airplane that's directly above you within less than 10 seconds. The airplane will be audible even before that.
The question is not quite clear. You are probably right that it wants the time interval from when the plane is overhead to when you first hear the plane, but it could be read as asking for the time to when you hear the boom it was producing while it was overhead.

Also, I thought the speed of a shockwave was amplitude dependent, but no speed is given for it.

Likes Edel Crine
Untitled2.png

I am not sure do I understand what you are saying... sorry...

Edel Crine said:
View attachment 269336
I am not sure do I understand what you are saying... sorry...
Consider the moment at which you first heard the plane. Where was the plane when it made the sound you are hearing?

Likes Edel Crine
haruspex said:
Consider the moment at which you first heard the plane. Where was the plane when it made the sound you are hearing?
When it passed after me...?

Untitled2.png

Here is my new guess...?

Edel Crine said:
When it passed after me...?
Your diagram is impossible to interpret. What is l?

The given angle of 42 degrees is an angle to the horizontal, not the vertical.

Look at the circles you have drawn. Each circle is expanding from a fixed centre, namely, the position of the plane when that circular wavefront was created.
Which circle will reach you first? How far has it expanded?

Likes Edel Crine
The largest one would reach to me first then other wavefronts..?

Edel Crine said:
The largest one would reach to me first then other wavefronts..?
Where is the centre of the one that reaches you first?
It might help to think about the tangent line (the shock front) and which way it is moving. Backtrack from the time when the front reaches you to see where that bit of the front came from.

Likes Edel Crine
Untitled2.png

Sorry... I am doing my best to interpret this problem...

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Edel Crine said:
View attachment 269345
Sorry... I am doing my best to interpret this problem...
Mark on your diagrams which way the wave front is moving.

Likes Edel Crine
Untitled2.png

Edel Crine said:
No, as I described, the wavefront of the shock wave is the tangent line to all the circles at each instant, i.e. the hypotenuse of the triangles above.
Which way does that line move over time?

Likes Edel Crine
749762B6-3907-4291-A8A7-BAF74FE378CB.jpeg
In this way...? Or horizontally to the right...?

Attachments

• 44479C2C-DA3F-403B-8990-8D374434F1F7.png
    44479C2C-DA3F-403B-8990-8D374434F1F7.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 118
Edel Crine said:
View attachment 269355In this way...? Or horizontally to the right...?
Neither.
If you stand on the shore and watch a wave coming in at some angle alpha to the shoreline, which way does it look like the wave is advancing?

Likes Edel Crine
3DB04654-875D-455A-8BA3-C71DE052D2F0.png
Am not sure, but...

Edel Crine said:
View attachment 269358Am not sure, but...
Yes.
Now, follow that line back from the person to find where the plane was when it emitted that part of the boom.

Likes Edel Crine
mfb said:
I beg to disagree with the audible even before that..
  1. "Shock Wave" implies the plane is traveling supersonically, i.e. faster than sound. Otherwise there is no "Shock."
  2. If 1. is true, then to hear the plane before it is overhead the sound is traveling faster than the plane, which itself is traveling faster than sound.

I will go with the 343m/sec and 8.7s to travel 3000m, agreeing with:
berkeman said:
Looks reasonable to me. Just think about the 3000m altitude and the speed of sound being 343m/s. That means if the aircraft were stationary right above you, it would take about 8.7 seconds for a sound to travel from it to you.
The angle of the shock wave is given as 42°, but it is unclear in the problem statement whether this is the full-angle, or if it is the half-angle as sketched by the op. (edit: This could perhaps be determined with a sanity check on the calculated speed, shown below.)

In either case, knowing the speed of sound and the shock wave angle (pick which angle you like) is sufficient to calculate the plane speed.

You now have the answers to time and speed, from which distance traveled may be found.

Cheers,
Tom

• Skeptical
Likes Edel Crine and mfb
Tom.G said:
:
to hear the plane before it is overhead the sound is traveling faster than the plane, which itself is traveling faster than sound.
@mfb is not saying it will be heard before the plane is overhead. Rather, it will be heard before the sound from the plane in the overhead position arrives.

Likes Edel Crine, hutchphd and mfb
haruspex said:
Yes.
Now, follow that line back from the person to find where the plane was when it emitted that part of the boom.
Then, the equation would be time=(A/cos(42))/343m/s?

Edel Crine said:
This is not quite correct.

Hope I don't deflect the discussion too much. If so, ignore this post.

You drew the diagram

1600098587901.png

I added the point B which indicates where the sonic boom is on the ground. Think about the speed at which that point moves along the ground.

Can you use trig to find the distance x in terms of A?

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
See haruspex for how you misunderstood my post.
Tom.G said:
I will go with the 343m/sec and 8.7s to travel 3000m, agreeing with:
berkeman's answer was wrong. That's not how shock waves propagate.

• Sad
Likes Edel Crine and Tom.G
Edel Crine said:
Yes, that is the time it will take the sonic boom to reach you from the point the plane was when that bit of sound was emitted, i.e. the point where the dashed lines meet in your posts #16 and #17. But you are asked for the time from when you see the plane above you until you hear the boom, so there's a bit more work to do.

Likes Edel Crine and mfb
TSny said:
This is not quite correct.

Hope I don't deflect the discussion too much. If so, ignore this post.

You drew the diagram

View attachment 269393

I added the point B which indicates where the sonic boom is on the ground. Think about the speed at which that point moves along the ground.

Can you use trig to find the distance x in terms of A?
Tan(theta)=A/X?

Edel Crine said:
Tan(theta)=A/X?
Yes. So, you can find X.
1600182937199.png

Think of the plane as dragging point B along the ground. Can you figure out how much time it will take for B to reach the person?

1. How is the required time and distance for a shock wave calculated?

The required time and distance for a shock wave is calculated using the formula t = d/c, where t is the time, d is the distance, and c is the speed of sound. This formula assumes that the shock wave is traveling at a constant speed and in a straight line.

2. What factors affect the required time and distance for a shock wave?

The required time and distance for a shock wave can be affected by several factors, including the initial energy of the shock wave, the medium through which it is traveling, and any obstacles or barriers in its path. Additionally, the speed of sound can vary depending on the temperature and density of the medium.

3. Can the required time and distance for a shock wave be accurately predicted?

While the formula for calculating the required time and distance for a shock wave provides a good estimate, there are many variables that can affect the actual time and distance. Therefore, it may not always be possible to accurately predict the exact time and distance of a shock wave.

4. How is the required time and distance for a shock wave used in real-world applications?

The required time and distance for a shock wave is an important factor to consider in many real-world applications, such as in the design of blast-resistant structures, the development of airbags for vehicles, and the study of shock waves in supersonic flight. It is also used in the analysis of explosions, earthquakes, and other natural phenomena.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when dealing with shock waves?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when dealing with shock waves. These include wearing appropriate protective gear, maintaining a safe distance from the source of the shock wave, and following safety protocols and regulations. It is also important to understand the potential hazards and risks associated with shock waves and to take necessary precautions to minimize their impact.