Shock absorber (oscillation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the spring constant and friction constant for a truck's shock absorbers. The problem involves solving a differential equation using the natural frequency, ω0, which is defined as √(k/mR). The value of the damping ratio, ζ, determines the behavior of the system and can be used to classify it as critically damped, overdamped, or underdamped. The undamped frequency is a characteristic of simple harmonic motion and can be used to analyze and solve differential equations for oscillatory systems.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everyone! I'm still trying to make my way through the wonderful land of oscillations. That's going to take a while. :DD

The springs and shock absorbers of a small truck have been conceived, so that the truck body sinks of a distance s = 100mm by full load (total mass m = 1.8 t) and that the wheels (mass mR = 40 kg) oscillate in aperiodic damping. The four wheels carry the same amount of weight and each wheel has its own spring and shock absorber. Consider a general damping force FR = -b⋅v.
How big must the spring constant k and the friction constant b of a shock absorber be?

Homework Equations

Newton, oscillations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve this old homework using what another student did. There are a few obscure points I'd like to ask your opinion about, so that I can better understand them. Please check the attached photo to have a visualisation of how I conceive the situation in my head.

I would like to start with a question: does "aperiodic damping" refer to "critically damped"? I translated the problem from German, so I'm not sure but that's what I assumed when solving the problem.

So first I think that by full load and no oscillation, the forces of gravity (I named F'g the force of gravity acting on one wheel) and spring are balanced and there is no damping force:

ΣF = 0 ⇔ F'g = FF
⇔ ¼⋅m⋅g = -k⋅s
I solve for k:
k = m⋅g/4⋅s = 44100 N⋅m-1

To get b, I thought the first thing to do was to set up an equation of motion for one wheel:

mR⋅a = ¼⋅m⋅g + k⋅x - b⋅dx/dt
⇔ mR⋅d2x/dt2 + k⋅s - k⋅(x + s) + b⋅dx/dt = 0
⇔ mR⋅d2x/dt2 + k⋅x + b⋅dx/dt = 0
d2x/dt2 + (k/mR)⋅x + (b/mR)⋅dx/dt = 0

Hopefully this is correct. Now I saw on wikipedia that the next step is to define the natural frequency ω0 = √(k/mR). Why do we do so? Do we really define it? Anyway I can then write the equation of motion as:

d2x/dt2 + ω02⋅x + (b⋅ω0/k)⋅dx/dt = 0

And now comes a step I don't really understand. Apparently from the equation of motion (but maybe not) follows:

b/mR = 2⋅ω0

What? Where does that come from? Is it because the oscillation is critically damped? I saw (on wiki, again) that for the case of a critically damped system, b/(2√(mk)) = 1 which basically leads to the same result but without having to define ω0.

Hopefully someone can help me understand that step, while I hope the previous calculations are correct.

Thank you very much in advance.Julien.

Attachments

• Photo 01-04-16 11 35 34.jpg
    Photo 01-04-16 11 35 34.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 499
Physics news on Phys.org
JulienB said:
Now I saw on wikipedia that the next step is to define the natural frequency ω0 = √(k/mR). Why do we do so? Do we really define it? Anyway I can then write the equation of motion as:
from wiki
ω0 is the undamped angular frequency of the oscillator and ζ is a constant called the damping ratio. This equation is valid for many different oscillating systems, but with different formulas for the damping ratio and the undamped angular frequency.

The value of the damping ratio ζ determines the behavior of the system such that ζ = 1 corresponds to being critically damped with larger values being overdamped and smaller values being underdamped. If ζ = 0, the system is undamped.

actually one has a differential equation with a term proportional to velocity and the easier way to analyse it is -in terms of undamped frequency which has a well known nature and if one superimposes a solution on it taking the damping coefficient
the actual /real solution comes out as a function of the undamped frequency- that is the advantage. one does the same exercise for forced oscillations.

@drvrm Thank you very much for your answer. Does that mean that anytime I have to deal with a simple harmonic motion, the undamped frequency ω0 is going to be √(k/m)? Maybe that is even the "definition" of SHM so to say?Julien.

JulienB said:
Does that mean that anytime I have to deal with a simple harmonic motion, the undamped frequency ω0 is going to be √(k/m)? Maybe that is even the "definition" of SHM so to say?

As i understand the SHM's its representative equation is Force= - k . displacement ;
therefore the 2nd order differential equation is regular with no in homogeneous terms.
k may differ from system to system but all further involvement of terms in the differential equation- will lead to superposition of particular solutions on the base of pure SHM's- the frequency w0is a good characteristic of the nature of oscillatory systems.

Likes JulienB
@drvrm thank you that was a very good explanation.

1. What is a shock absorber?

A shock absorber is a mechanical or hydraulic device that is designed to reduce the impact of vibrations or oscillations on a vehicle or other moving object. It is typically used in the suspension system of a vehicle to provide a smoother and more comfortable ride by absorbing the energy from bumps and other disturbances on the road.

2. How does a shock absorber work?

A shock absorber works by converting the kinetic energy of the oscillating motion into heat energy. When a vehicle hits a bump or encounters a rough patch on the road, the shock absorber compresses and releases hydraulic fluid or gas, which dissipates the energy and reduces the impact on the vehicle. This process helps to keep the tires in contact with the road and maintain stability and control of the vehicle.

3. What are the signs of a worn-out shock absorber?

Some common signs of a worn-out shock absorber include excessive bouncing or swaying of the vehicle, uneven tire wear, and a bumpy or uncomfortable ride. You may also notice a knocking noise coming from the suspension system. It is important to have your shock absorbers checked regularly and replaced if necessary, as worn-out shock absorbers can affect the handling and safety of your vehicle.

4. How long do shock absorbers last?

The lifespan of a shock absorber can vary depending on the type of vehicle and driving conditions. On average, shock absorbers can last anywhere from 50,000 to 100,000 miles. However, if you frequently drive on rough roads or carry heavy loads, your shock absorbers may wear out more quickly. It is important to have them inspected by a professional mechanic regularly to ensure they are functioning properly.

5. Can I replace my shock absorbers myself?

Replacing shock absorbers requires specialized tools and knowledge, so it is recommended to have them replaced by a trained mechanic. However, if you have experience working on vehicles and access to the necessary tools, you may be able to replace them yourself. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when doing so.