Requirements for an observable pattern in young's experiment

In summary: However, the spatial coherence and temporal coherence of a light beam are still important, because they determine how much interference fringes overlap. 3. Laser: Why is laser used mostly in the experiment? I understand that it is "more monochromatic" than the other light. (although I don't why) But besides that, what else matter?Young used a laser because it is very monochromatic, meaning that its lightwaves have a single wavelength. Normally, lightwaves have a spectrum of colors, with the longest waves being at the red end of the spectrum and the shortest waves being at the violet end. A laser emits lightwaves in a single wavelength, so it is not affected by the colors of
Andy123

Homework Statement

It's not in fact a question of homework but something I have been wondering but cannot get answers about the requirements for an observable pattern in young's experiment:

1. Polarisation: In my study, the book derived the intensity function of light assuming the light beams are polarised. But I wonder if the experiment will work if unpolarised light beam is used, or the light beams have different degree of polarisation exiting the two slits?

2. Coherence: Some information from the internet tells that "coherence" of light beam from the two slits are not actually important. But its the "spatial coherence" and "temporal coherence" that matter. I am confused by what these terms mean and cannot understand anything by referring the wikipedia.

3. Laser: Why is laser used mostly in the experiment? I understand that it is "more monochromatic" than the other light. (although I don't why) But besides that, what else matter?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

That's all the requirements I can think of for the young's experiment. I tried to answer the above questions but I failed. Please help! Thanks![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_interference_experiment

You need slits that are very thin and spaced a reasonable distance apart to make the formulas work. The slits must be in an opaque material.

You need a relatively bright source of light. Mono-chromatic works better, but Young used sun light. A laser is a very convenient source of mono-chromatic light, and it is also very bright so you can easily see it.

You need an opaque "box" to perform the experiment in. You want the light to come in only through the slits so you can see the pattern.

You need some nice measuring equipment to know how far apart your slits are, how wide each slit is, and to lay out your observation screen.

Some kind of way to record your results is good. These days a digital camera such as on a cell phone would probably be quite adequate.

Andy123 said:
1. Polarisation: In my study, the book derived the intensity function of light assuming the light beams are polarised. But I wonder if the experiment will work if unpolarised light beam is used, or the light beams have different degree of polarisation exiting the two slits?
If the polarization of the light is position independent, interference fringes can still be observed. In order to understand this, you can think of an unpolarized light as a lightbeam whose polarization direction rotates randomly with time- But since the fringe structure is independent on the polarization orientation of the interfering beams (so long as both are polarized at the same direction), a stable and by-eyes-observable fringes can be observed. This issue is actually what Fresnel-Arago experiments dealt with hundred years ago.
Andy123 said:
2. Coherence: Some information from the internet tells that "coherence" of light beam from the two slits are not actually important. But its the "spatial coherence" and "temporal coherence" that matter. I am confused by what these terms mean and cannot understand anything by referring the wikipedia.
As DEvens said, the effect of partial coherence can be minimized by making the slits narrow enough and not separating them too far.

Related to Requirements for an observable pattern in young's experiment

What is Young's experiment?

Young's experiment, also known as the double-slit experiment, is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits, creating an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

What are the requirements for an observable pattern in Young's experiment?

The requirements for an observable pattern in Young's experiment include a coherent light source, two parallel slits with a small separation, and a screen to capture the interference pattern. The slits must be very close together (on the order of the wavelength of the light) and the screen must be far enough away from the slits to allow for the interference pattern to form.

Why is a coherent light source necessary for Young's experiment?

A coherent light source is necessary for Young's experiment because it produces light waves that have a constant phase relationship with each other. This allows for the constructive and destructive interference patterns to form as the waves pass through the slits and overlap on the screen.

What is the significance of the interference pattern in Young's experiment?

The interference pattern in Young's experiment is significant because it provides evidence for the wave-like nature of light. This experiment helped to solidify the understanding of light as an electromagnetic wave and played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics.

How does changing the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern in Young's experiment?

Changing the distance between the slits can affect the interference pattern in Young's experiment by altering the spacing between the bright and dark fringes on the screen. A smaller distance between the slits will result in a wider interference pattern, while a larger distance will result in a narrower pattern.