Rescaling equations in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation involving the inflaton field and various parameters such as the Hubble parameter and inflaton mass. To simplify the equation, the parameters are rescaled using the reduced Planck mass. The correct approach for solving the rescaled equation is to input the rescaled initial conditions, rather than rescaling the equation itself.
Whitehole
Suppose I have a differential equation

$$\ddot \phi + 3H (1+Q) \dot \phi + V_{,\phi} = 0$$

where ##\phi## is the inflaton field. ##H## is the Hubble parameter, ##Q## is just a number, ##V_{,\phi}## is the derivative with respect to ##\phi##, and initial conditions given by ##\phi[0] = 2 M_p~,## ##\dot\phi[0] = 0.1 M_p## .

Now, an example situation would be, ##V = \frac{1}{2} m^2 \phi^2## where ##m## is the inflaton mass. Parameters are given by: ##~m = 10^{13} GeV~##, ##M_p = 10^{18}## (reduced Planck mass). Since these numbers are big, I want to rescale these equations using ##M_p##

##d\tilde{t} = M_p dt \quad,## ##\tilde{H} = \frac{H}{M_p} \quad,## ##\tilde{\phi} = \frac{\phi}{M_p} \quad,## ##\tilde{m} = \frac{m}{M_p}##

So that,

##\dot\phi = M_p^2 \tilde{\phi'}~,## ##~\ddot\phi = M_p^3 \tilde{\phi''}~,## ##\phi[0] = 2~,## ##\dot\phi[0] = 0.1##

If I want to solve these, I would just input (let ##\phi = y##)

NDSolve[ {##y''[t] + 3 H (1+Q) y'[t] + \tilde{m}^2 y[t] = 0, y[0] = 2, y'[0] = 0.1##}, {t,0,10^7}, PlotRange -> Full]

Is this correct? I think by entering the rescaled initial conditions for the variable y would rescale the equation in NDSOlve right? I think it's wrong to write for example,

NDSolve[ {##y''[t]/M_p^3 + 3 H/M_p (1+Q) y'[t]/M_p^2 + \tilde{m}^2 y[t]/M_p = 0, y[0] = 2 Mp, y'[0] = 0.1 Mp##}, {t,0,10^7}, PlotRange -> Full]

Physics news on Phys.org
because this would mean that I am trying to solve the original equation (without rescaling). Am I correct?

1. What is the purpose of rescaling equations in Mathematica?

Rescaling equations in Mathematica allows for easier manipulation and comparison of equations, as well as ensuring numerical stability and accuracy in calculations.

2. How do I rescale an equation in Mathematica?

To rescale an equation in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function "Rescale". This function takes in the desired range of the rescaled equation and the original equation as parameters, and returns the rescaled equation.

3. Can I rescale multiple equations at once in Mathematica?

Yes, you can rescale multiple equations at once in Mathematica by using the "Map" function. This function applies a specific operation, in this case rescaling, to each element in a list of equations.

4. Is there a way to undo a rescaling in Mathematica?

Yes, you can undo a rescaling in Mathematica by using the inverse function of "Rescale", which is "RescaleInverse". This function takes in the rescaled equation and the desired range of the original equation as parameters, and returns the original equation.

5. Are there any limitations to rescaling equations in Mathematica?

While rescaling equations in Mathematica can be useful, there are some limitations. For example, rescaling can sometimes lead to loss of precision in calculations, and may not work well with complex or nonlinear equations.