Cosmic inflation using mathematica

In summary, the goal is to find the proper initial conditions and ##tf## that will produce the desired result of N1x = 60 after the plot/calculation.
Whitehole
In cosmic inflation, we have the equation of motion for the inflaton given by,

$$\ddot\phi + 3H(1 + Q)\dot\phi + V_\phi = 0$$

the Friedman equation is given by

$$H^2 = \frac{1}{3 M_p^2}(\frac{1}{2} \dot\phi^2 + V + \rho_r)$$

where ##M_p## is the reduced Planck mass. The differential equation for the radiation density is given by

$$\dot\rho_r + 4H\rho_r = 3 Q H \dot\phi^2$$

Now for a given ##V##, I want to solve these differential equations using NDSolve, let ##V = \lambda (\phi^2 - \sigma^2)^2##

Let ##\phi[t] = y[t]##, ##\rho_r[t] = \rho[t]##, ##Q=100##

Mp = 2.4353*10^18; (* Reduced Planck mass = 2.4353*10^18 GeV *)
m = 1.8*10^13; (* Inflaton mass = 1.8*10^13 GeV *)
Rm = (1.8*10^13 )/(2.4353*10^18); (* Rescaled inflaton mass *)
##\sigma## = 2.24*10^19; (*Energy scale of symmetry breaking = 2.24*10^19 GeV*)
##R\sigma## = (2.24*10^19)/(2.4353*10^18); (*Rescaled energy scale of symmetry breaking*)
##\lambda## = ((1.8*10^13)/(2.4353*10^18))^4;
tf = 10^9;
sol[a_, b_] := NDSolve[{dy'[t] + 303 H[t] dy[t] + 4 \lambda (y[t]^2 - R\sigma^2) y[t] == 0, H[t] == Sqrt[(0.5 dy[t]^2 + \lambda (y[t]^2 - R\sigma^2)^2 + \rho[t])/3], \rho'[t] + 4 H[t] \rho[t] == 300 H[t] dy[t]^2, y'[t] == dy[t], y[0] == -a, dy[0] == b, \rho[0] == Rm^4}, {y, dy, H, \rho}, {t, 0, tf}]
sol[1, 1/100000]

This will generate interpolating functions. I need to determine the proper initial conditions ##y[0] = -a## and ##tf## (##dy[0] = b##, but it can be set to ##10^{-6}##) for a fixed ##Q##, in this case suppose I choose ##Q=100##, so that I can get the correct values for the quantities.The initial conditions and ##tf## should be adjusted so that,

(##N = \int Hdt## where I represented ##N## by N1x in the code)
H[t] == Sqrt[(0.5 dy[t]^2 + \[Lambda] (y[t]^2 - R\[Sigma]^2)^2 + \[Rho][t])/3];
ndsol[a_, b_] := NDSolve[{D[N1x[t], t] == Evaluate[H[t] /. First@sol[a, b]], N1x[0] == 0}, N1x, {t, 0, tf}]

This plot should reach N1x = 60 after the plot/calculation,

Manipulate[Plot[Evaluate[N1x[t] /. First@ndsol[a, b]], {t, 0, tf}], {{a, 1}, 0, 100, Appearance -> "Labeled"}, {{b, 1/100000}, 0, 0.00009, Appearance -> "Labeled"}]

and the plot of ##T## vs. ##t## and ##H## vs ##t## generates a plot like the image below. (##~T = \Big(\frac{3 \rho_r}{10 \pi^2}\Big)^\frac{1}{4}##)
Manipulate[Plot[{Evaluate[H[t] /. First@sol[a, b]], Evaluate[(3 \[Rho][t]/10 Pi^2)^(1/4) /. First@sol[a, b]]}, {t, 0, tf}, PlotRange -> Automatic], {{a, 1}, 0, 50, Appearance -> "Labeled"}, {{b, 1/100000}, 0, 0.00009, Appearance -> "Labeled"}]

My code generates an error "For the method IDA, only machine real code is available. Unable to continue with complex values or beyond floating-point exceptions" for some ##y[0] = -a## and ##tf##, so I'm having a hard time determining those two parameters. Actually, I don't know what tf to actually use, I'm just guessing. Is there a way to tell which ##tf## I should use so that the only thing I need to vary is ##y[0]##?
A general rule for determining ##y[0]## is that it shouldn't be too far from the minimum of the potential ##V## but also not too close.
Image.jpg

An example of my plot where ##T \rightarrow yellow## and ##H \rightarrow blue## (you can't even see it)

rho.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to determine the proper initial conditions and ##tf## is to use a numerical optimization algorithm. For example, you can use Mathematica's FindRoot command to find the roots of the equation N1x[tf] = 60, where N1x[tf] is the numerical solution for the integral of H with respect to t. This should give you the proper initial conditions for ##y[0]## and ##tf## that will produce the desired result. Another approach could be to use a simple brute force method of trying different values for ##y[0]## and ##tf## and seeing which ones give the desired result. However, this could take a long time and the results may not be very accurate.

1. What is cosmic inflation?

Cosmic inflation is a theory in cosmology that proposes that in the very early stages of the universe, it underwent a rapid and exponential expansion, causing it to grow in size by an enormous amount in a very short period of time.

2. How is cosmic inflation related to the Big Bang theory?

Cosmic inflation is a component of the Big Bang theory, as it helps to explain some of the unanswered questions and inconsistencies in the traditional Big Bang model, such as the uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the lack of observed magnetic monopoles.

3. What role does mathematics play in studying cosmic inflation?

Mathematics is crucial in understanding and modeling cosmic inflation. It allows us to make precise calculations and predictions about the behavior of the universe during this early expansion phase, and to test these predictions against observational data.

4. How can Mathematica be used to study cosmic inflation?

Mathematica is a powerful computational tool that can be used to solve and analyze complex mathematical equations and models. It can be used to simulate and visualize the behavior of the universe during cosmic inflation, and to test different theoretical models against observational data.

5. What are some current research topics related to cosmic inflation using Mathematica?

Some current research topics include using Mathematica to study the effects of different initial conditions and parameters on the behavior of cosmic inflation, investigating the possibility of multiple inflationary periods in the early universe, and exploring the implications of cosmic inflation for the formation of large-scale structures in the universe.