Resistance of a semicircular conductor with a rectangular cross section

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resistance between points A and B on a conductor with a square-shaped area, given the radii, width, and resistivity. The solution involves using various equations, integrating over the radii, and considering different cases where the radii may play a role in the calculation.
Basel H

Homework Statement

There is a conductor with the square-shaped area. the Radii are r1 , r2 with width b and resistivity ## \rho_R##.
Find the resistance R between A and B
Aufgabe6.PNG

2. Homework Equations

##I = \iint_A\vec J \cdot d \vec A##
## \vec J = \kappa \vec E ##
## \vec E = \rho \vec J##
## V = \int\vec E\cdot d\vec s ##
## V = IR##

The Attempt at a Solution

## I = \iint_A\vec J \cdot d \vec A = Jb(r_2-r_1)##
## \vec J = {\frac{I}{b(r_2-r_1)}}\hat e_\theta ##
## \vec E = \rho_R \vec J = (\rho_R I/b(r_2-r_1) ) \hat e_\theta##
## V = \int_0^\pi \vec E\cdot d\vec s ##
## d \vec s = r d\theta \hat e_\theta ##
## V = {\frac{\pi \rho_R I r}{b(r_2-r_1)}}##
The Total Voltage
## \int d V = \int {\frac{\pi \rho_R I d r}{b(r_2-r_1)}} ##[/B]
After integration over ##[r_1, r_2]##
## V = IR = {\frac{\pi \rho_R I}{b}} ##
## R = {\frac{\pi \rho_R }{b}} ##
I don't know, if the solution is right. It is a bit weird since R is not dependent of the Radii but the units are right.
I hope someone can clear my confusion and help me :)

Attachments

• Aufgabe6.PNG
    Aufgabe6.PNG
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,049
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think that the radii should play a role. It would seem so at first glance. Consider some extremes. One case I can think of: what if r2 is just a little bigger than r1, but both r1 and r2 are very large (you essentially have a very long wire). What happens if r1 and r2 are very small?

I was thinking of approaching the problem this way: what if you slice it into thin semicircles, then find the conductance of a semicircular slice (conductance is reciprocal of resistance). You can sum up (integrate) all of these parallel conductances, since conductances in parallel just add.
Once you have an expression for conductance, just take the reciprocal to find the resistance. I haven't worked all the calculations through, but the radii do play a role, in this situation.

1. What is a semicircular conductor with a rectangular cross section?

A semicircular conductor with a rectangular cross section is a type of conductor that has a semicircular shape on one side and a rectangular shape on the other side. This shape is commonly used in electrical circuits and can be found in various electronic devices.

2. How is the resistance of a semicircular conductor with a rectangular cross section calculated?

The resistance of a semicircular conductor with a rectangular cross section can be calculated using the formula: R = (ρL)/A, where R is the resistance, ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length of the conductor, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a semicircular conductor with a rectangular cross section?

The resistance of a semicircular conductor with a rectangular cross section is affected by the material used, the length of the conductor, and the cross-sectional area. It is also affected by temperature, as the resistivity of most materials increases with temperature.

4. How does the shape of a conductor affect its resistance?

The shape of a conductor can affect its resistance by changing the cross-sectional area and the length of the conductor. A larger cross-sectional area will result in a lower resistance, while a longer length will result in a higher resistance.

5. What are some practical applications of semicircular conductors with rectangular cross sections?

Semicircular conductors with rectangular cross sections are commonly used in electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, and televisions. They are also used in various electrical circuits and wiring systems. Additionally, they can be found in components such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes.