Resolvent formalism in quantum mechanics

In summary: In reality, I am discovering this formalism of resolvent right now, while reading the Cohen Tannoudji books (interaction process between photons and atom- french version). It is amazing for me that formalism stronger than perturbation approach exists. It seems like difficult and complex but, be that as it may, I want to understand deeply and master it. Could you advice me some lectures or books that can help me in this sense?Perturbation theory is the weakest of all approaches. Its the stuff that one begins with because it is so easy to use, as long as it works.If you want more details, provide the formulas relevant for a deeper discussion.
Konte
Hi everybody,

While reading some quantum mechanics book, I met the resolvent formalism which is presented as more powerful than the pertubative approach. For a system with a hamiltonian ## H = H_0 + H_{int} ##, when the interaction part ## H_{int} ## is no more a pertubation but rather having the same importance as ## H_0 ##, the perturbation theory is obviously no more appropriate to solve the problem.
My question:
Is the resolvent formalism can solve this specific case and viewed as the appropriate approach for?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Konte said:
The resolvent formalism which is presented as more powerful than the pertubative approach. For a system with a hamiltonian ## H = H_0 + H_{int} ##, when the interaction part ## H_{int} ## is no more a pertubation but rather having the same importance as ## H_0 ##, the perturbation theory is obviously no more appropriate to solve the problem.
My question:
Is the resolvent formalism can solve this specific case and viewed as the appropriate approach for?
It depends on what you understand by ''solving'' the problem. The resolvent formalism is exact and nonperturbative, but to get numerical results out of it one needs to make approximations at some point. These approximations may or may not be in terms of perturbation theory.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba and Konte
A. Neumaier said:
The resolvent formalsism is exact and nonperturbative, but to get numerical results out of it one needs to make at some point approximations. These approximations may or may not be in terms of perturbation theory.
What I wanted is to reassure myself about the scop of the resolvent formalism in comparison to other approach.
Now, through your answer, I understand that resolvent formalism is not even an approximation but an exact method.
I put aside all about numerical results, I am only interested in the nature and the formal aspect of different methods.

Thanks

A. Neumaier said:
The resolvent formalism is exact and nonperturbative.
I am back for some precisions. What do you mean by "nonperturbative"? Can I understand it by: the resolvent formalism always works for all ##H_{int}## even if it is as big and strong as ##H_0##?

Thanks

Konte said:
I am back for some precisions. What do you mean by "nonperturbative"? Can I understand it by: the resolvent formalism always works for all #H_{int}# even if it is as big and strong as #H_0#?
Yes, if we refer to the same by ''the resolvent formalism''. Since nowhere any approximation is made, strength nowhere enters. If you want more details, provide the formulas relevant for a deeper discussion.

A. Neumaier said:
Yes, if we refer to the same by ''the resolvent formalism''.

In your reply, you seem like hinting that there is another formalis of resolvent or am I misunderstanding?
A. Neumaier said:
If you want more details, provide the formulas relevant for a deeper discussion.

Thanks for your answer. In reality, I am discovering this formalism of resolvent right now, while reading the Cohen Tannoudji books (interaction process between photons and atom- french version). It is amazing for me that formalism stronger than perturbation approach exists. It seems like difficult and complex but, be that as it may, I want to understand deeply and master it. Could you advice me some lectures or books that can help me in this sense?

Konte said:
It is amazing for me that formalism stronger than perturbation approach exists.
Perturbation theory is the weakest of all approaches. Its the stuff that one begins with because it is so easy to use, as long as it works.

I can only repeat:
A. Neumaier said:
If you want more details, provide the formulas relevant for a deeper discussion.

Likes dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:
Ok. As you know, I'm just starting to read this book and learn slowly the formalism, I may need time. But I will be back soon to discuss deeply about. Sure.

Thanks

Related to Resolvent formalism in quantum mechanics

1. What is resolvent formalism in quantum mechanics?

Resolvent formalism is a mathematical approach used in quantum mechanics to solve for the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions of a quantum system. It involves using the resolvent operator, which is a function of the Hamiltonian operator, to find the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the system.

2. How does resolvent formalism differ from other methods in quantum mechanics?

Resolvent formalism differs from other methods, such as the Schrödinger equation or the Heisenberg equation, in that it allows for the calculation of energy levels and wavefunctions for any potential energy function, not just those that are solvable analytically. It also provides a more efficient way to calculate these quantities for systems with complex interactions.

3. What are the advantages of using resolvent formalism?

One of the main advantages of using resolvent formalism is its ability to handle a wide range of complex quantum systems. It also provides a more efficient and flexible way to calculate energy levels and wavefunctions compared to other methods. Additionally, resolvent formalism allows for the study of time-dependent systems, which is not possible with some other methods.

4. Are there any limitations to resolvent formalism?

While resolvent formalism has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is most applicable to systems with discrete energy levels, and it does not provide information about the dynamics of the system. Additionally, it can be more difficult to use for systems with continuous energy levels.

5. How is resolvent formalism used in practical applications?

Resolvent formalism is used in many practical applications, such as in the study of atomic and molecular structures, quantum computing, and in the analysis of complex systems in condensed matter physics. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as in the design of quantum sensors and detectors.