Resolving Discrepancies in Photon Gas Thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation is discussing the discrepancy between two results regarding the behavior of a photon gas. The first result, based on the Gibbs free energy, gives the equation dG=0=Vdp-SdT. However, the second result, based on the expressions for G, p, and S, gives the equation p=1/4sT. The student is struggling to reconcile these two results and is seeking advice on how to properly differentiate p=1/4sT.
ed321

Homework Statement

I’m struggling to reconcile two results about the behaviour of a photon gas, any help would be appreciated:
First of all the Gibbs free energy=0, which means that dG=0=Vdp-SdT
But also p=1/3 U/V and S=4/3 U/T which means p=1/4 ST/V. Now if we call the entropy per unit volume S/V=s, p=1/4sT and differentiating both sides with respect to p at constant s we get 1=1/4s dp/dT which doesn’t agree with the result from the Gibb’s function.

Homework Equations

(My expressions for G, p and S agree with wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon_gas)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I must not be differentiating p=1/4sT correctly, but I can’t see what I need to do differently.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would this be more appropriate somewhere else?

Hey ed,

I'll rephrase your question for you.
Why do you think you can transform

[tex]0 = V dp - SdT[/tex]

into

[tex] \frac{S}{V} = \left( \frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_s[/tex]

(which is really what you're comparing your derivation to - correct me if I'm mistaken.)

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply.

I thought [tex] \frac{S}{V} = \left( \frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_s[/tex]
followed straight away from [tex]0 = V dp - SdT[/tex] by "dividing" by dT at constant s. Maybe this step isn't valid since you can't always treat dT like a ordinary number, but I can't see any reason this would be the case this time?

Any further advice appreciated.
Thanks

[tex]
dG = 0 = V dp - SdT
[/tex] gives
[tex]
\frac{S}{V} = \left( \frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_G
[/tex], not
[tex]
\frac{S}{V} = \left( \frac{\partial p}{\partial T}\right)_s
[/tex].

Related to Resolving Discrepancies in Photon Gas Thermodynamics

1. What is a photon gas?

A photon gas is a theoretical model that describes a gas composed of particles that have no mass, but instead have energy and momentum. These particles are called photons and are the fundamental units of light.

2. How does the thermodynamics of a photon gas differ from a traditional gas?

The thermodynamics of a photon gas follows the same principles as a traditional gas, such as the ideal gas law. However, unlike traditional gases, which have a fixed number of particles, the number of photons in a photon gas can vary and is dependent on the temperature and energy of the system.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and the energy of a photon gas?

In a photon gas, the energy of the individual photons is directly proportional to the temperature of the system. This means that as the temperature increases, so does the energy of the photons.

4. How does the energy distribution of a photon gas differ from a traditional gas?

The energy distribution of a photon gas follows a different pattern compared to a traditional gas. In a traditional gas, there is a bell-shaped curve representing the distribution of energy among the particles. In a photon gas, the distribution follows a power-law curve, with more particles having higher energies.

5. What is the significance of a photon gas in thermodynamics?

Photon gas plays an important role in understanding the behavior of light and energy in various systems. It is also used in many theoretical models, such as the blackbody radiation and the cosmic microwave background, to explain the behavior of photons and their interaction with matter.