Resources to start understanding relativity

In summary: You are not ready for electrodynamics yet.In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's desire to learn about relativity and their current level of understanding in physics. They ask for recommendations on books to read and express a desire to learn more advanced concepts. The conversation also touches on prerequisites for studying relativity and electromagnetism, as well as the importance of having a strong foundation in Newtonian mechanics before moving on. The expert suggests starting with a book on special relativity and possibly learning vector calculus before diving into more advanced topics. The conversation ends with a reminder for the speaker to reflect on their current level of understanding before moving on to more complex concepts.
mark2142
Hi everyone, I want to learn relativity but right now I don't know where to start. I have been doing Newtonian mechanics for quite some time from resnik and Irodov and want to go further. Which book should I now read?

Physics news on Phys.org
mark2142 said:
Hi everyone, I want to learn relativity but right now I don't know where to start. I have been doing Newtonian mechanics for quite some time from resnik and Irodov and want to go further. Which book should I now read?
Get a book on Special Relativity first. That's an important prerequisite.

Other prerequisites are more advanced mathematical experience and classical electromagnetism.

Without those you are likely to make little progress with GR.

Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
Get a book on Special Relativity first. That's an important prerequisite.

Other prerequisites are more advanced mathematical experience and classical electromagnetism.

Without those you are likely to make little progress with GR.
So I don't need to learn Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics and all that undergraduate mechanics from Kleppner, Marion Thornton, Taylor, Goldstein books etc? Pardon me if I don't make sense to you. I don't know the map and path in all physics.

I think Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics is an important prerequisite to study SR as well as GR. For me the best book to start learning both is Landau&Lifshitz vol. II. It goes without much ado straight forward to the subject and with an emphasis on the physics.

Likes topsquark
mark2142 said:
So I don't need to learn Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics and all that undergraduate mechanics from Kleppner, Marion Thornton, Taylor, Goldstein books etc? Pardon me if I don't make sense to you. I don't know the map and path in all physics.
That was included in the more advanced mathematical experience.

Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
That was included in the more advanced mathematical experience.
Can you tell which books should I get first?

mark2142 said:
Can you tell which books should I get first?
There are lots of options. Griffiths for EM?

Hartle is the simplest GR book and avoids as much of the heavy mathematics as possible. That said, it's still advanced undergraduate level.

Carroll's GR book is good.

The risk is that you flounder if you jump into GR too soon.

Likes topsquark, vanhees71 and PhDeezNutz
PeroK said:
There are lots of options. Griffiths for EM?
I have griffths Introduction to Electrodynamics but I don't have introductory knowledge that is taught after high school like Coulomb’s Law , Electric Fields , Gauss’ Law , Electric Potential , Capacitance , Current and Resistance Circuits , Magnetic Fields , Magnetic Fields Due to Currents. Should I do that first?

But that's all contained in Griffiths's book!

Likes topsquark and mark2142
vanhees71 said:
But that's all contained in Griffiths's book!
Oh great. What about its maths? Should I get another book to learn its maths?

mark2142 said:
I have griffths Introduction to Electrodynamics but I don't have introductory knowledge that is taught after high school like Coulomb’s Law , Electric Fields , Gauss’ Law , Electric Potential , Capacitance , Current and Resistance Circuits , Magnetic Fields , Magnetic Fields Due to Currents. Should I do that first?
That's a different question. There are several threads on here about EM books prior to Griffiths.

Likes topsquark, vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
I looked at a few of your threads, and think you will progress faster if you get a more solid foundation in Newtonian mechanics before moving on.

Likes PhDeezNutz, Mondayman, topsquark and 3 others
Vanadium 50 said:
I looked at a few of your threads, and think you will progress faster if you get a more solid foundation in Newtonian mechanics before moving on.
Its just that I got bored with resnik and thought maybe try some electromagnetism. Although electromagnetism is given in resnik but I don't want to read about capacitors and transistors. I want to study something else and come back later to resnik. Resnik is very simple and I get nothing than just solving some simple problems which I actually have trouble with solving. I am not leaving anything but just want to refresh. And it will be good for my understanding GR.
PeroK said:
There are several threads on here about EM books prior to Griffiths.
I have Vector analysis by schuam's. Maybe that and griffths will work. I read online you need to understand vector calculus for this book.

mark2142 said:
I have Vector analysis by schuam's. Maybe that and griffths will work. I read online you need to understand vector calculus for this book.
The first 60+ pages of Griffiths are vector calculus!

Likes vanhees71
mark2142 said:
Its just that I got bored with resnik and thought maybe try some electromagnetism. Although electromagnetism is given in resnik but I don't want to read about capacitors and transistors. I want to study something else and come back later to resnik. Resnik is very simple and I get nothing than just solving some simple problems which I actually have trouble with solving. I am not leaving anything but just want to refresh. And it will be good for my understanding GR.
You need to reflect on what you are trying to do. You have issues with freshman physics, but want a multiple component path to senior level physics?

Taking your desire for a “refresh” at face value, I still suggest special relativity (post 7).
After that, you could try their black hole book. You might also look at Gravity by Schutz or General Relativity from A to B by Geroch.

• Informative
Likes mark2142, vanhees71 and PeroK
Thank You for helping. I will get one of those.
What about the book Theoretical minimum by Susskind (classical machanics) ?

Likes vanhees71
Likes vanhees71
mark2142 said:
Thank You for helping. I will get one of those.
What about the book Theoretical minimum by Susskind (classical machanics) ?
Susskind’s Theoretical Minimum books (and the videos they are based on) are designed for non-physicists who want a serious introduction. They are not sufficient for learning the material at the level of a physicist. That being said, I like them and have gained insight from them.

Likes mark2142 and vanhees71
mark2142 said:
Looks a bit hard! Can you describe this book in short so that I can know what I am going into?
It doesn‘t assume math above calculus, so you should be able to handle it. If you do not like the book, there are multiple PF threads discussing textbook options for special relativity.

Likes mark2142 and vanhees71
Frabjous said:
Susskind’s Theoretical Minimum books (and the videos they are based on) are designed for non-physicists who want a serious introduction. They are not sufficient for learning the material at the level of a physicist. That being said, I like them and have gained insight from them.
Its good to have some insight rather than be in awe where you are going. I will read it.
Frabjous said:
It doesn‘t assume math above calculus, so you should be able to handle it. If you do not like the book, there are multiple PF threads discussing textbook options for special relativity.
Thanks.
I think in order to avoid getting overwhelmed I should just change how I do my problems by randomly jumping into problems from random chapters.

mark2142 said:
I do my problems by randomly jumping into problems from random chapters.
That is not an approach I would recommend.

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. Why is it important to understand relativity?

Understanding relativity is important because it has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has led to many technological advancements. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics, particularly in fields such as cosmology and astrophysics.

3. What are some good resources to start understanding relativity?

Some good resources to start understanding relativity include books such as "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking and "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein. Online resources such as videos and lectures by renowned physicists like Neil deGrasse Tyson and Brian Greene are also helpful.

4. Is relativity difficult to understand?

Relativity can be challenging to understand, especially for those without a strong background in physics and mathematics. However, with the right resources and dedication, it is possible to gain a basic understanding of the theory.

5. Are there any practical applications of relativity?

Yes, there are many practical applications of relativity, including GPS technology, nuclear energy, and medical imaging. Relativity also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the development of future technologies.