Resting masses of isolated neutrons versus neutrons in atoms

In summary, the Higgs field gives mass to particles and the mass of a neutron is caused by the kinetic energy of its constituent quarks. Neutrons in a nucleus are actually lighter than their unbound partners, and this is due to the "mass defect" of nuclei. The energy from binding the nucleus together is more than enough to compensate for the kinetic energy of nucleons. This is why the mass of a neutron does not come entirely from the binding energy of a nucleus.
NotJimmy
I'm a high school student reading through a book on the discovery of the Higgs boson, and, among several other things, there's one part that I don't understand completely.

I understand that the Higgs field is what gives mass to lots of particles that would otherwise be the same without the Higgs breaking their symmetry, and I also understand that particles like protons and neutrons aren't massive just because of the Higgs.

The explanation that the book offers is that the mass of a neutron is caused by the kinetic energy of the constituent quarks held together by the strong interaction. That much makes sense to me, but why wouldn't neutrons in a nucleus have higher mass? They're bound to protons by the strong interaction as well, and that interaction holds a lot of energy that we've used to make bombs and power plants and stuff. Are neutrons that are 'alone' lighter than neutrons next to protons?

Sorry if this is a question that's been covered before. I tried a lot of different ways to search my question but didn't get the answer I was looking for.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
NotJimmy said:
I'm a high school student reading through a book on the discovery of the Higgs boson, and, among several other things, there's one part that I don't understand completely.

I understand that the Higgs field is what gives mass to lots of particles that would otherwise be the same without the Higgs breaking their symmetry, and I also understand that particles like protons and neutrons aren't massive just because of the Higgs.

The explanation that the book offers is that the mass of a neutron is caused by the kinetic energy of the constituent quarks held together by the strong interaction. That much makes sense to me, but why wouldn't neutrons in a nucleus have higher mass? They're bound to protons by the strong interaction as well, and that interaction holds a lot of energy that we've used to make bombs and power plants and stuff. Are neutrons that are 'alone' lighter than neutrons next to protons?

Sorry if this is a question that's been covered before. I tried a lot of different ways to search my question but didn't get the answer I was looking for.

Thanks!

Sure! But it's the other way around. Neutrons (and protons) in nuclei are lighter than their unbound partners. Or more precisely - nuclei are less massive than the sum of the masses of their individual constituents. This is something that is quantified by the "mass defect" of nuclei - the difference between the mass of the nucleus, and the sum of the individual masses of protons and neutrons. For 16O this is - 123.53 MeV/c^2. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=mass+16O+-(8*mass+neutron)+-+8*(mass+proton)+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_binding_energy

NotJimmy said:
Are neutrons that are 'alone' lighter than neutrons next to protons?
No, if they were the nucleus would be unstable. There is some additional energy due to the kinetic energy of the nucleons, but this is more than compensated by the fact that the potential energy is smaller.

So, I think I see how some of their mass becomes the energy binding the nucleus together, but why doesn't that energy stay as mass?

Like, if the mass of a neutron comes from the binding energy of the quarks, then why doesn't more mass come from the binding energy of a nucleus? What's the difference?

1) What is the difference between the resting mass of an isolated neutron and a neutron in an atom?

The resting mass of an isolated neutron is approximately 1.0087 atomic mass units (amu), while the mass of a neutron within an atom can vary depending on its location in the atom's nucleus. In general, the mass of a neutron in an atom is slightly higher than its resting mass due to the presence of other subatomic particles and the binding energy that holds the nucleus together.

2) How is the resting mass of an isolated neutron determined?

The resting mass of an isolated neutron is determined through experiments and calculations using particle accelerators and other nuclear physics techniques. These measurements have been refined over time, and the current accepted value for the resting mass of a neutron is 1.00866491588 amu.

3) What is the significance of the difference in mass between an isolated neutron and a neutron in an atom?

The small difference in mass between an isolated neutron and a neutron in an atom may seem insignificant, but it has important implications in nuclear physics and cosmology. This difference in mass affects the stability and behavior of atoms and their nuclei, and also plays a role in understanding the formation and evolution of the universe.

4) Can the mass of a neutron in an atom change?

Yes, the mass of a neutron in an atom can change due to processes such as nuclear reactions and radioactive decay. In these cases, the mass of the atom as a whole may also change, as the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus can be altered.

5) Are there any other factors that can affect the mass of a neutron in an atom?

Aside from nuclear reactions and radioactive decay, the mass of a neutron in an atom can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and pressure. In extreme conditions, such as those found in the core of a star, the mass of a neutron in an atom may be significantly different from its resting mass due to these external effects.