Resultant displacement of vectors

In summary, to find the resultant displacement for the given vectors, you add the north and south components to get 2.4m and the east and west components to get -33.3m. Using the Pythagorean theorem, you can find the magnitude of the resultant displacement to be approximately 33.4m. To find the direction, you can use the tangent inverse function and subtract it from 270 degrees to get approximately 184.1 degrees. A diagram can also be helpful in visualizing the resultant displacement.
Coco12

Homework Statement

Find the resultant displacement(magnitude and direction of the following vectors: 12.3m North, 45.6m East, 78.9m West, 14.7m South

Homework Equations

c=sqrt a^2 + b^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Do you just add the vectors so the north and south added together will give you 2.4m, etc then use Tan inverse to get the angle? when I did that... I got 33.4m for the magnitude and 85.9 degrees for the direction , however do you need to minus that from 270 to get 184.1 degrees? Am i doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram and show us

Crake said:
Draw a diagram and show us

i just drew it on a cartesian plane so it is in the third quadrant.. the y-axis is -2.4m and the x-axis is -33.3m I got those numbers from adding the directions together.

What is the definition of "resultant displacement of vectors"?

The resultant displacement of vectors is the overall displacement of an object or particle that is the sum of the individual displacements caused by multiple vectors acting on it.

How do you calculate the resultant displacement of vectors?

The resultant displacement of vectors can be calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the magnitude and direction of each vector, and then using trigonometric functions to find the resultant magnitude and direction.

What is the difference between resultant displacement and net displacement?

Resultant displacement and net displacement are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between the two. Resultant displacement refers to the final displacement of an object after considering multiple vectors, while net displacement refers to the total change in position from the starting point to the final position.

Can the resultant displacement of vectors be negative?

Yes, the resultant displacement of vectors can be negative. This occurs when the individual vectors have opposite directions and their magnitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a negative final displacement.

Why is the resultant displacement of vectors important in physics?

The resultant displacement of vectors is important in physics because it helps us understand the overall motion and position of an object or particle. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, navigation, and mechanics to calculate and predict the movement of objects.