Reverse Engineering Plastics: Is It Cost Effective?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reverse engineering plastic and how it can be destroyed or degraded. The goal is to educate oneself and potentially help with the issue of plastic pollution. The conversation also mentions bacterial enzymes that can degrade plastic, and provides a review article and a less technical source on the topic.
Derek lynch
I would like to know if plastics can be reverse engineered or are the costs too significant .

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the context of your question? Do you mean ALL plastics? What is your goal?

Likes jim mcnamara
Hi thank you for the reply , yes with the state of ocean's and with plastic of all nature is there or is it plausible with the help of physics that plastics of certain types can or could be reverse engineered , I am aware that they have found enzymes that can eat plastic to degrade it ,my goal is to educate myself more about the subject and help if I can.

Derek lynch said:
Hi thank you for the reply , yes with the state of ocean's and with plastic of all nature is there or is it plausible with the help of physics that plastics of certain types can or could be reverse engineered , I am aware that they have found enzymes that can eat plastic to degrade it ,my goal is to educate myself more about the subject and help if I can.
I still don't understand. When you say "reverse engineer", In English, that means to learn exactly how the plastic was MADE so that you could make it yourself. I think that is not what you mean, yes? You mean how can you DESTROY plastic (turn it into something not harmful), yes?

Some bacteria species haves enzymes that make all sorts of degrading kinds of changes to plastic.

Here is an review article on bacterial degradation of plastic:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/9916223/shah-biological_degradation_of_plastics_a_comprehensive_review.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A&Expires=1546135205&Signature=f%2BB9HsDzf9vXL%2BaGNq%2FO6%2F06zwQ%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DBiological_degradation_of_plastics_a_com.pdf

less technical:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/does-newly-discovered-bacteria-recycle-plastic/

1. What is reverse engineering plastics?

Reverse engineering plastics is the process of taking apart a product made of plastic and analyzing its components, design, and functionality in order to recreate or improve upon it.

2. Why is reverse engineering plastics important?

Reverse engineering plastics allows for a better understanding of the materials and design used in a product, which can lead to improvements in its production, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.

3. Is reverse engineering plastics cost-effective?

It can be cost-effective in certain cases, as it can help identify and eliminate unnecessary components or processes, leading to cost savings in production. However, the initial investment in equipment and expertise may be expensive.

4. What are the steps involved in reverse engineering plastics?

The steps may vary depending on the specific product, but generally involve disassembling the product, analyzing its components and materials, creating a 3D model or CAD design, prototyping, and testing for functionality and performance.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with reverse engineering plastics?

There can be ethical concerns if reverse engineering is used to replicate or reproduce a patented product without permission from the original manufacturer. It is important to follow ethical guidelines and obtain proper legal permissions before proceeding with reverse engineering.