Reversible electric motor - what am I looking at?

In summary, the conversation discusses a reversible electric motor from 1985 that operates an automatic skylight. The person is uncertain about the rectangular gray components attached to the motor with a plastic zip-tie. It is determined that these are likely 27 ohm power resistors, possibly fusible cement resistors. Further discussion about cermet resistors and the potential for directional control with a series diode is also mentioned.
Nugatory
Mentor
TL;DR Summary
What are these components on my reversible motor and how is the whole thing supposed to work?
I have a reversible electric motor that operates an automatic skylight, vintage 1985. I'm trying to figure out how it is supposed to work, but I don't recognize the rectangular gray components that are secured to the motor case with a length of plastic zip-tie. What might they be and how would the whole thing work?
image000001.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
They are 27 ohm power resistors, probably to limit maximum motor current = torque.

• Informative
Likes cnh1995, Nugatory and Wrichik Basu
Nugatory said:
I don't recognize the rectangular gray components that are secured to the motor case with a length of plastic zip-tie
They look like fusible cement resistors, ##27~\Omega,\ 9~\mathrm{W}## with ##5\%## tolerance.

Edit: @Baluncore beat me to it.

Likes Nugatory
Wrichik Basu said:
They look like fusible cement resistors
Probably just a typo, but I believe you are referring to Cermet.

That is a compound of ceramic and metal, which combine to give characteristics of both.

Further info: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cermet

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
Tom.G said:
Probably just a typo, ...
Maybe not.
I think you will find the higher power, low value resistors like those are wire wound on the inside, with a ceramic or cement case to reduce wire oxidation and fire hazard.

Cermet resistors are usually more expensive, with power 1 watt or less, higher resistance, and lower inductance.

Destructive testing would resolve the question.

The series diode is interesting. Does it provide directional control of the torque limit?

Likes Wrichik Basu, DaveE and Tom.G
Tom.G said:
Probably just a typo, but I believe you are referring to Cermet.

That is a compound of ceramic and metal, which combine to give characteristics of both.

Further info: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cermet
I meant cement. I bought a few of those some months back to help in my experiments. In fact, I had never heard of cermet resistors; thanks for the information.

Likes Tom.G

1. What is a reversible electric motor?

A reversible electric motor is a type of motor that can rotate in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions. It is designed with a special mechanism that allows it to change the direction of its rotation, making it versatile and useful in a variety of applications.

2. How does a reversible electric motor work?

A reversible electric motor works by using an electromagnet to create a magnetic field that interacts with a permanent magnet, causing the motor to rotate. By reversing the polarity of the electromagnet, the direction of the rotation can be changed.

3. What are the advantages of a reversible electric motor?

One advantage of a reversible electric motor is its versatility. It can be used in a variety of applications, such as in household appliances, industrial machinery, and vehicles. It also allows for more precise control over the movement of the motor.

4. How is a reversible electric motor different from a regular electric motor?

A reversible electric motor is different from a regular electric motor in that it has a mechanism that allows it to change the direction of its rotation. Regular electric motors only rotate in one direction and do not have this capability.

5. What are some common uses for a reversible electric motor?

Reversible electric motors are commonly used in household appliances such as ceiling fans, washing machines, and refrigerators. They are also used in industrial equipment such as conveyor belts and cranes, as well as in vehicles for functions such as power windows and windshield wipers.