Review of Cycles of Time

In summary, Penrose's new book Cycles of Time explores the concept of a cyclic universe, where the end of one universe leads to the beginning of a new one. He suggests that the accelerating expansion of our current universe is essential for this theory, as it allows for the geometry of the end of one universe to match with the beginning of the next. Penrose also offers an explanation for the low entropy of the Big Bang, attributing it to the destruction of information by black holes. However, his theory requires the eventual disappearance of rest mass, which he has yet to explain. The book contains minimal equations and is accessible for those familiar with physics, but not experts.
lark
I put the following review of Penrose's new book Cycles of Time on Amazon as "Light Pebble".

Penrose puts forth an old idea, that the end of our universe is the start of a new one, in a beautiful new way. That is, eventually the universe will lose track of the scale of space and time. Then, having no scale left, it collapses to about zero size, and that's the start of the Big Bang of the next eon.
Astronomers have recently found out that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, so it doesn't look like it will ever recollapse in the ordinary way. But in Penrose's theory, this apparently depressing reality is essential for a cyclic universe, because it means that the universe at the end of time is a spacelike surface, so its geometry can match the geometry of the Big Bang singularity in the next eon.
He offers a partial answer for an old puzzle: why did the Big Bang have such incredibly low entropy? The second law of thermodynamics tells us that entropy never decreases. The low entropy of the Big Bang defines the arrow of time, since entropy has been increasing since then, and life wouldn't be possible without a low-entropy state to start from. But where did the very low-entropy Big Bang come from?
Penrose's answer (or part of it) is that black holes destroy the information that goes into them (whether black holes destroy information is a big controversy in physics). That means that when the black hole eventually evaporates by Hawking radiation, the entropy that was in the matter that fell in has been permanently destroyed. I don't know if this can destroy enough entropy to explain the next very low entropy Big Bang.
Penrose doesn't believe the inflation theory, which is that space expanded incredibly rapidly right after the Big Bang. He says his conformal cyclic cosmology theory explains the things that inflation was invented to explain: it explains correlations in temperature in the cosmic microwave background between areas that are separated by large angles, and the scale invariance in the temperature fluctuations. The CCC theory also requires Weyl curvature to be zero at the Big Bang. This apparently explains why we don't see magnetic monopoles, another thing that inflation is invoked to explain, although Penrose doesn't discuss this in his book.
The CCC theory seems much more appealing than the inflation theory. It's more parsimonious, not requiring extra fields or an incredibly rapid expansion of spacetime. The universe would have expanded at the normal rate, only over a very very long time before the Big Bang.
The big hole in Penrose's theory is that our universe can only lose track of the scale of space and time if rest mass disappears. Rest mass gives a scale to spacetime. So it's necessary that all particles should eventually decay into massless particles like photons, or lose their rest-mass some other way. He hasn't come up with any good explanation for how this would happen. His best attempt at a theoretical framework for the decay of rest mass is:
“A standard procedure for addressing the idea of an 'elementary particle' is to look for what are termed the 'irreducible representations of the Poincare' group'. Any elementary particle is supposed to be described according to such an irreducible representation. The Poincare' group is the mathematical structure describing the symmetries of the Minkowski space M, and this procedure is a natural one in the context of special relativity and quantum mechanics. The Poincare' group possesses two quantities referred to as Casimir operators, these being rest-mass and intrinsic spin, and accordingly the rest-mass and spin are deemed to be 'good quantum numbers', which remain constant so long as the particle is a stable one and does not interact with anything. However, this role of M appears to be less fundamental when there is a positive cosmological constant L (Greek letter Lambda in the book) present in physical laws (as L=0 for M), and it would seem that, when we are concerned with matters related to cosmology, it should be the symmetry group of de Sitter space-time D, rather than of M, that should ultimately be our concern. However, it turns out that rest-mass is not exactly a Casimir operator of the de Sitter group (there being a small additional term involving L), so that its ultimate status is more questionable in this case, and a very slow decay of rest mass seems to me to be not out of the question.”
I don't know how convincing this is. Does rest mass need to be a Casimir operator of the spacetime, to be a good quantum number, so that it's conserved for a particle as long as it exists? Apparently nobody's worked out what becomes of quantum mechanics and the Standard Model of particle physics in de Sitter spacetime. Until they do, and rest mass really does turn out to fade away in the expanding universe, Penrose's theory will limp badly.
Perhaps the above quote will tell you whether you'll find Cycles of Time to be readable, or whether it'll make your eyes glaze over. I found it readable, but I'm somewhere between the “intelligent layman” and a real expert. I loved Penrose's earlier book The Road to Reality, and worked all the exercises in it that looked challenging, except for one.
In Cycles of Time, unlike in Road to Reality, Penrose relegates almost all equations and mathematics to a couple of appendices, where he explains the transition from the scale free geometry at the end of the previous eon, to the Big Bang. The dynamics of the earlier universe propagate through the Big Bang. There's a loose end: unwanted freedom in the spacetime metric right after the Big Bang, so it isn't fully determined by the universe before the Big Bang. Penrose proposes various ways of eliminating this freedom.
Penrose tends to throw around technical language without much explanation. You might find yourself trying to understand via Google. He mentions “gravitational degrees of freedom” early in the book. What concretely ARE gravitational degrees of freedom, I wondered? I asked online, then noticed he defines them later in the book!
Even though he uses technical language, he's very good at making advanced physics accessible. I found Road to Reality to be intellectually nurturing. It stimulated me to learn multivariable complex analysis, which he uses in his work.
Penrose is a maverick who disagrees with much of the contemporary physics consensus. He dislikes many contemporary physics theories that are science-fictiony or kludgish, like string theory with its extra dimensions, and inflation. But as Mark Twain said, “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).” Penrose has done it again in this book: come up with a wonderful and beautiful idea for Penroseland, his mirror of reality. Perhaps his mirror focuses better than the consensus mirror.

Laura

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
, thank you for your insightful review of Penrose's new book Cycles of Time. I find Penrose's theories and ideas to be thought-provoking and worth exploring. I agree with you that his conformal cyclic cosmology theory offers a more parsimonious explanation for some of the phenomena that inflation theory was invented to explain. However, I do have some concerns about the viability of his theory.

One major issue, as you mentioned, is the idea that all particles must eventually decay into massless particles for the universe to lose track of the scale of space and time. While this is an intriguing concept, it remains to be seen if this is actually possible. As you pointed out, there is still much we do not understand about the behavior of particles in de Sitter spacetime. Until we have a better understanding of this, it is difficult to fully support Penrose's theory.

Additionally, I am also curious about the implications of Penrose's theory on the second law of thermodynamics. As you mentioned, the very low entropy of the Big Bang is a puzzle that has yet to be fully explained. While Penrose offers a partial explanation through the destruction of information in black holes, it is still unclear if this can fully account for the low entropy of the Big Bang. Further research and investigation will be needed to fully understand this aspect of his theory.

Overall, I appreciate your thorough and thoughtful review of Cycles of Time. As a fellow "intelligent layman", I also found Penrose's earlier book The Road to Reality to be intellectually stimulating and challenging. It is exciting to see scientists like Penrose challenging the current consensus and offering new ideas and theories to further our understanding of the universe. I look forward to reading Cycles of Time and delving deeper into Penrose's concepts.

1. What is the purpose of a review of cycles of time?

A review of cycles of time is meant to analyze and evaluate the various theories and concepts surrounding the idea of time cycles. It aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of how time has been perceived and studied throughout history, and how these perceptions have shaped our understanding of the universe and existence.

2. What are the main theories and concepts that are discussed in a review of cycles of time?

A review of cycles of time may cover a variety of theories and concepts, such as the cyclical theories of ancient civilizations, the concept of time as a repeating pattern in nature, and the idea of time as a spiral or spiral-like structure. It may also explore the relationship between time and consciousness, and the role of cycles in the evolution of the universe.

3. How does a review of cycles of time contribute to scientific knowledge?

A review of cycles of time can contribute to scientific knowledge by providing a deeper understanding of the concept of time and how it affects our perception and understanding of the natural world. It can also highlight the commonalities and differences between various theories and concepts, allowing for a more comprehensive and nuanced perspective on the subject.

4. What are some potential implications of cycles of time in our daily lives?

Cycles of time can have various implications in our daily lives, such as influencing our beliefs and attitudes towards the concept of time, shaping our understanding of history and the future, and impacting our decision-making processes. It can also provide a framework for understanding patterns and cycles in nature and human behavior.

5. How can a review of cycles of time inform future research and studies?

A review of cycles of time can serve as a foundation for future research and studies on the topic. It can identify gaps in current knowledge and highlight areas that require further investigation. Additionally, it can provide a framework for developing new theories and concepts related to cycles of time, encouraging further exploration and understanding of this complex and fascinating subject.