Seeking Recommendation on Multivariable Calculus (theories)

In summary, a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics and microbiology is seeking advice on selecting a theoretical, proof-based textbook on multivariable calculus. They mention various textbooks by authors such as Serge Lang, Apostol, Marsden, Hubbard, and Fleming. After receiving a vote for Marsden and an explanation of its benefits, the student asks for further opinions and recommendations. Other suggested textbooks include Munkres' "Analysis on Manifolds" and Edwards' "Advanced Calculus," which cover traditional topics in vector calculus with more emphasis on theory. The student is looking for a textbook that covers both theories and applications and is considering Marsden as a potential choice.
bacte2013
Dear PF personnel,

I am a college sophomore with double majors in mathematics and microbiology. I wrote this email to seek your advice on selecting a theoretical, proof-based textbook on the multivariable calculus. I will be taking a multivariable calculus on this Summer but it unfortunately is a computational one with little theories. I would like one that comprehensively covers the theories of multivariable calculus and perhaps including sections on the applications too (but not necessary). Couple of textbooks I have in my mind are ones written by Serge Lang, Apostol, Marsden, Hubbard, and Fleming. Which one is good for self-learning?
PK

Physics news on Phys.org
^
Thank you for the vote! Is this better textbook than Hubbard or Lang for the contents, explanation, and problem sets quality? I heard some bad reviews about it, more frequent than Hubbard and Lang.

From those authors, I have only used Marsden (for Complex Analysis)...
and have referred to more advanced physics texts by Marsden.
The Hubbard text looks interesting with its treatment of differential forms.
I haven't used any of them for vector calculus.

^
Thank you very much for the explanation. However, I am not sure if Marsden's book will be in similar quality to his other books...I am awaiting for more responses. Unfortunately, available books for Marsden in my college library are all checked out..I read some portions of Lang and Hubbard, and I feel like I miss something in Lang while Hubbard covers less contents in vector calculus than other books.

^
Thank you very much for the recommendation! Do they cover traditional topics in vector calculus? I took a look on them and they seem to only cover the theories behind vector calculus? Vector calculus course I will be taking on Summer is purely computational, and my aim is to get a book on vector calculus that covers both theories and applications. I have two volumes of Apostol's Calculus but the second volume (covering multivariable and linear algebra) seems very outdated...Currently, my mind is on Marsden but I am not sure if this textbook can be a standalone.

Yes, they cover all the traditional topics. There are some computational aspects covered in both texts, but there is more emphasis on the theoretical side, so I guess it's up to you. Check them out and see if you like them.

1. What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables. It extends the concepts of single variable calculus to functions with multiple independent variables, and involves the use of partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

2. What are some real-world applications of Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable Calculus has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. Some examples include analyzing the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, optimizing the shape of structures for maximum strength, and modeling economic systems with multiple variables.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying Multivariable Calculus?

A strong foundation in single variable calculus is essential for understanding Multivariable Calculus. It is also recommended to have a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and analytical geometry.

4. What are some common topics covered in Multivariable Calculus?

Some common topics in Multivariable Calculus include partial derivatives, gradients, multiple integrals, line and surface integrals, vector fields, and theorems such as Green's Theorem, Stokes' Theorem, and the Divergence Theorem.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Multivariable Calculus theories?

To improve your understanding of Multivariable Calculus theories, it is important to practice solving problems and to visualize concepts using graphs and diagrams. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups to supplement your learning.