Rewrite curve as arclength function

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the arclength function for a given curve and initial point using the equation s = integral |r'(t)|dt. The solution is found to be 3^(1/2)e^(3t), but there is confusion about the use of the initial point t = 0 in the calculation. It is clarified that the lower limit in the integral should be handled correctly to obtain the correct solution.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Consider the curve r = <cos(3t)e^(3t),sin(3t)e^(3t),e^(3t)>
compute the arclength function s(t) with the initial point t = 0.

Homework Equations

s = integral |r'(t)|dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so if you work all of this out it turns out it's not as bad as it looks.. it's set up to come out really nicely it appears. I end up with

s = 3^(1/2)e^(3t)

but my online homework program is saying that this is wrong... Do I ever use the information that the initial point is t = 0? I don't understand why they need to tell me that...

Physics news on Phys.org
When you put ##t=0## you aren't getting ##s(0)=0## like the problem asks. You need to calculate$$
s(t) - s(0) = \int_0^t|r'(t)|dt$$with s(0)=0. I'm guessing you didn't handle the lower limit correctly.

1) What does it mean to rewrite a curve as an arclength function?

Rewriting a curve as an arclength function means expressing the curve in terms of the distance traveled along the curve. This allows for a more precise and accurate representation of the curve.

2) Why is it important to rewrite a curve as an arclength function?

Rewriting a curve as an arclength function allows for easier calculations of important properties such as length, curvature, and arc length. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the curve.

3) How do you rewrite a curve as an arclength function?

To rewrite a curve as an arclength function, you must parameterize the curve with respect to its arclength. This means expressing the coordinates of the curve in terms of the arclength variable, typically denoted as t.

4) What are the benefits of using an arclength function?

Using an arclength function allows for more accurate and precise calculations of properties such as length and curvature. It also simplifies the process of finding the arc length of a curve between two points.

5) Can any curve be rewritten as an arclength function?

Yes, any curve can be rewritten as an arclength function. However, some curves may have more complex arclength functions than others. In general, it is easier to rewrite a curve as an arclength function if it is smooth and one-to-one.