Rewriting Maxwell's Equations in Tensor Form

In summary, Sean Carroll's notes on general relativity state that the equation F_{[\alpha\beta,\gamma]} = 0 is equivalent to half of the Maxwell equations. This equation can be rewritten as: F_{[\alpha\beta,\gamma]} = 0 − \epsilon^{ijk}B_{k}, where εijk is the normalization constant. The first equation in step 3 is three equations, one for each value of i. The second equation is just one. The final result is a set of four equations. To solve for F_{[\alpha\beta,\gamma]} in terms of εijk, one must first determine the identities of contracted epsilon symbols
Sycobob

Homework Statement

From Sean Carroll's notes on general relativity (chapter 1, pg. 20):

Show that [itex]F_{[\alpha\beta,\gamma]} = 0[/itex] is equivalent to half of the Maxwell equations.

Homework Equations

[itex]F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is the electromagnetic tensor

[itex]\Phi_{,\nu} \equiv \partial_{\nu}\Phi[/itex]

[itex]F_{i0}= E_{i}[/itex]

[itex]F_{ij}= \epsilon^{ijk}B_{k}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm specifically looking to turn Maxwell's (homogeneous) equations into tensor form, not just show that they fall out of [itex]F_{[\alpha\beta,\gamma]} = 0[/itex]. I sort of have a solution, but I feel like I'm missing a step.

[itex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
\nabla×\textbf{E} + \partial_{t}\textbf{B} = 0 \\
\nabla\cdot \textbf{B} = 0
\\
\\
\epsilon^{ijk}\partial_{j}E_{k} + \partial_{0}B^{i} = 0 \\
\partial_{i}B^{i} = 0
\\
\\
\epsilon^{ijk}\partial_{j}F_{k0} + \frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{ijk}\partial_{0}F_{jk} = 0 \\
\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{ijk}\partial_{i}F_{jk} = 0
\end{eqnarray*}
[/itex]

which can be rewritten as:

[itex]\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\partial_{\rho}F_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex]

which, up to a normalization constant, is just:

[itex]F_{[\alpha\beta,\gamma]} = 0[/itex]

My question is about going from step 3 to step 4. I sort of pulled it out of my hat and checked that it was correct (term by term). I'm looking for some kind of justification for this step, or a nudge in the right direction if I'm approaching this all wrong.

Also, I'm still getting the hang of tensor notation, and I feel like equation 4 doesn't make sense. Only 3 indices are contracted, leaving the right side a vector, not a scalar. On the other hand, trying to use the Levi-Civita tensor with 3 indices here seems wrong too, as the indices run from 0 to 4 leaving you with stuff like [itex]\epsilon^{013}[/itex].

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump. : (

The first equation in your step 3 is actually three equations, one for each value of i. And the second equation is just one. That's why the final result is a set of four equations.

I think the final step will be easier to understand if you make sure that you understand every step of the following rewrites: (Here A is anything with three indices from 0 to 3).

\begin{align}
&\varepsilon^{ijk} A_{ijk} =\varepsilon^{ijk0} A_{ijk} =\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\rho 0} A_{\mu\nu\rho}\\
&\varepsilon^{ijk} A_{0jk} =\varepsilon^{0jki} A_{0jk} =\varepsilon^{0\nu\rho i} A_{0\nu\rho} =\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\rho i} A_{\mu\nu\rho}
\end{align}

Fredrik said:
The first equation in your step 3 is actually three equations, one for each value of i. And the second equation is just one. That's why the final result is a set of four equations.

I think the final step will be easier to understand if you make sure that you understand every step of the following rewrites: (Here A is anything with three indices from 0 to 3).

\begin{align}
&\varepsilon^{ijk} A_{ijk} =\varepsilon^{ijk0} A_{ijk} =\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\rho 0} A_{\mu\nu\rho}\\
&\varepsilon^{ijk} A_{0jk} =\varepsilon^{0jki} A_{0jk} =\varepsilon^{0\nu\rho i} A_{0\nu\rho} =\varepsilon^{\mu\nu\rho i} A_{\mu\nu\rho}
\end{align}
need help here

how did you obtain these rules>
thank you

How many independent components does a 1-form have in 4 dimensions? And a 3-form? This is a first step to check whether your result makes sense (hint: it does :P )

Hit your equation then with an (4-comp.) epsilon symbol with the free index contracted. Find/derive the identities of contracted epsilon symbols in terms of kronecker deltas and apply those.

Hope this helps ;)

haushofer said:
How many independent components does a 1-form have in 4 dimensions? And a 3-form? This is a first step to check whether your result makes sense (hint: it does :P )

Hit your equation then with an (4-comp.) epsilon symbol with the free index contracted. Find/derive the identities of contracted epsilon symbols in terms of kronecker deltas and apply those.

Hope this helps ;)
thank for your help
i have trouble in "εijk A0jk=ε0jki A0jk "
i get stuck in this equation
i don't know how can they put a zero into the εijk
such that εijk ---> ε0jki
i think A0 is "fixed variable" and you cannot do anything for it
right? if you put a zero there,then A0 will become dummy variable (so we can contract an upper and lower index together)

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are the foundation of classical electromagnetism.

2. Why is it important to rewrite Maxwell's Equations in tensor form?

Rewriting Maxwell's Equations in tensor form allows for a more concise and elegant representation of the equations. It also makes it easier to generalize the equations to different coordinate systems and allows for a better understanding of the symmetries present in the equations.

3. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents a physical quantity and its relationship to other physical quantities. It is a multidimensional array that follows certain transformation rules under coordinate transformations.

4. How does rewriting Maxwell's Equations in tensor form affect their physical meaning?

The physical meaning of Maxwell's Equations remains the same when rewritten in tensor form. However, it allows for a more abstract and general understanding of the equations and their application to different systems.

5. What are some practical applications of rewriting Maxwell's Equations in tensor form?

Rewriting Maxwell's Equations in tensor form has numerous practical applications in fields such as electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. It allows for a more efficient and elegant representation of complex systems and enables the development of new technologies and theories.