Riding a Bike to Class: Students & Faculty Experiences

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bike Class
In summary, some students at this university actually ride bicycles to class. For the past few weeks, I have been thinking about doing the same. I live near the university, and there are virtually no busy intersections that I would have to cross. Traffic has been so random lately that some days if I leave an hour early, I still can't find reasonable parking anywhere near my classes. I have class at 10am a few days a week, and others in the evening on the other days, but if I am not out the door by 8:30, you literally cannot park anywhere. I have not done it yet because I don't own a bicycle, I don't even know
QuarkCharmer
Do any students here (or faculty for that matter) actually ride a bicycle to class? For the past few weeks I have been thinking it's a good idea. I live something like 2 miles from my university, and there are virtually no busy intersections that I would have to cross.

Lately, traffic has been so random that some days if I leave an hour early I still can't find reasonable parking anywhere near my classes. I have class at 10am a few days a week, and others in the evening on the other days, but if I am not out the door by 8:30 you literally cannot park anywhere.

I have not done it yet because:

a.) I don't own a bicycle, and I don't even know what type would be appropriate. I'm not 17, I'm in my late 20's.

b.) I live in Florida where it's hot as heck most of the year (which is nice), but I don't want to show up drenched in sweat. During the winter it can get a bone-chilling 70°F and I don't even want to leave the house I am so accustomed to the warmth.

c.) What the heck do you wear to bike to class? I worked a full-time business casual/formal job before going back to school, and practically everything I own consists of slacks et al. What if it rains?

d.) I don't know, I have some sort of stigma about pedaling anywhere at my age.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I rode a bicycle to my office (in grad school) rather than park a car. I was in my mid to late 20's. It was good exercise, especially with a 40+ lb backpack. I could ride as fast or faster than the cars on campus.

It was also the middle of Texas, and it go pretty warm, especially in the summer. It also got me across campus and to neighborhoods some distance from campus. It was much easier to navigate congested roads, and I didn't have to worry about parking.

I used to ride my bike to school every day, even in the winter time. Its about a 5 mile ride. I stopped because I started working very late hours and was just getting to tired at the end of the day to ride home.

Now I work and go to school so I converted my pedal bike to an ebike so I don't show up to work covered in sweat. The electric part gets the bike up to about 25mph and I can pedal until I start to get sweaty. Works out great.

I find it weird that you live just 2 miles from your classes and you drive.I have to walk about a mile in addition to 45 mins in public transportation.Parking doesn't even exist around my school.

I brought a bike freshman year, never rode it and the tires deflated. I pretty much walk everywhere.

Astronuc said:
It was also the middle of Texas, and it go pretty warm, especially in the summer.

Still does.

I tried to use a bike for on-campus commuting, but wasn't rich enough to afford a bike that the campus cops would give a damn about when it was stolen. After spending my money to buy two new bikes and having them stolen, I gave up and walked.

I love biking now, basically anywhere (aka cycling? :)) And I'm 28. Our whole group of friends all bought bikes last summer and we ride all the time, feels like being 10 again.

But as for class, look for a bike on craigslist if you're cheap(<$100). Bikesdirect.com if you're not that cheap.(cheapest road is about 279)

Get a ROAD bike. Find out what size you need, itll be really uncomfortable at first, but the lack of effort needed to ride it around a city will keep you from sweating and YOUR seat will break in after about a week of riding.

If you're only going a few miles a single speed (read NOT FIXED GEAR) is also great.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/track.htm

like that. A bunch of us got our bikes off there. You can assemble it yourself, its basically completely put together and takes about 15 minutes to figure the rest out. (have to put on handlebars, seat and front wheel)Some of my friends have mountain bikes, some have hybrids and both struggle to keep up the pace we set with our road bikes, and we're basically coasting a lot.

Also, if you get a bike with lock in feet or straps, remove them. You don't need them for city riding and they'll probably just get you hurt if you haven't ridden in a while.
I should stress that cycling happens to be back in style(especially for ages 25-30) as its not just fun, its healthy and economical. This means there are a LOT of bike shops that can help you figure out what you want (then go buy on bikesdirect) in almost ever area. Streets are constantly being upgraded with bike paths, cities have added a ton of bike-lock-stands. It costs you zero gas, zero parking, and if its stolen you're only out of about 300 bucks. Just get a good u-lock with an extra small cable lock. The new road bikes are REALLY light, i carry mine up and down my apartments stairs every day, especially the single speeds.

I promise you won't be sorry you bought it.

Last edited:
bp_psy said:
I find it weird that you live just 2 miles from your classes and you drive.I have to walk about a mile in addition to 45 mins in public transportation.Parking doesn't even exist around my school.

Well, google maps claims the total distance is 2.6 miles. The internet tells me that a "modest pace" is 2.5 mph walking. That's a little more than an hours walk and there is no public transportation around here, well there is, but it's about 2.0 miles to the bus stop. The average bicycle is around 13.5 mpg though, so that would likely take me 15 minutes. That's shorter than the time it takes me to park usually.

Thanks Hepth!
I'll look into that site. How would I go about sizing a bike? I'm approx 6'0" 190lbs. That one you posted doesn't even have brakes unless it's one of those pedal backwards things?

Last edited:
QuarkCharmer said:

a.) I don't own a bicycle

Buy one.

and I don't even know what type would be appropriate.

One that fits you, your cycling experience, and your riding style.

I'm not 17, I'm in my late 20's.

So? I'm over 50 and I still ride a mountain bike and a road racer.

b.) I live in Florida where it's hot as heck most of the year (which is nice), but I don't want to show up drenched in sweat.

Most commuting cyclists don't wear their work/school clothes while cycling. They wear appropriate cycling gear and keep their normal clothes in a locker. I used to keep my shoes and a jacket at work and haul my daily shorts/pants and a shirt back and forth.

During the winter it can get a bone-chilling 70°F and I don't even want to leave the house I am so accustomed to the warmth.

I used to live in Florida, but in the panhandle. Every once in a blue moon the bird bath might actually freeze!

At least you'll save on cycling clothes.

c.) What the heck do you wear to bike to class? I worked a full-time business casual/formal job before going back to school, and practically everything I own consists of slacks et al. What if it rains?

That's why commuter cyclists wear cycling clothes. If it rains, I put on a rain jacket and rain legs. Both are very lightweight and breath well.

Bottom line, if it rains, you'll get soaking wet, it's just part of the fun! Bring a towel.

You're in your late 20's? Lol, like I said, I'm in my early 50s. Look around and you'll find cyclists of all ages.
QuarkCharmer said:
The average bicycle is around 13.5 mpg though...

I think they get a lot better milage than that! Ok, 13.5 mph sounds reasonable.

How would I go about sizing a bike? I'm approx 6'0" 190lbs.

The only way to properly size a bicycle is to go to very good bicycle store and have an experienced cyclist size you. In fact, go to three different ones. If they agree, that's your size. If not, they should be close. Try several different bicycles of both sizes.

That one you posted doesn't even have brakes unless it's one of those pedal backwards things?

If an old-fashioned is your style, go for it. I'm more of a roadster.

Last edited by a moderator:
just get any bike, it doesn't really matter.

QuarkCharmer said:
Thanks Hepth!
I'll look into that site. How would I go about sizing a bike? I'm approx 6'0" 190lbs. That one you posted doesn't even have brakes unless it's one of those pedal backwards things?

Woops meant http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/clockwork_blkbrry.htm

Im exactly the same size as you then, I think the 56-58 are fine, try them at a bike store first.
Yeah the one i linked said single speed but its actually a fixie.

I ride to work, 5 miles each way, I'm in Connecticut where the weather hits both extremes, ... what else...

Consider a "cyclocross" bike, but do NOT get a "hybrid." Spend as much as you can afford, get the right size frame, and keep at it.

Everything else said so far I agree with.

QuarkCharmer said:
How would I go about sizing a bike?

As a first approximation, you should be able to straddle the bike (not sitting on the seat, but standing in front of the seat) with the top horizontal bar an inch or two below your crotch.

There's also a rule for the length of a bike (how far the handlebars are from the seat), but I forgot what it is. In any event, with your height the bike is more likely to be a bit too short than too long. A bike that's too short is less of a problem than one that's too long and makes you bend too far forward to reach the handlebars.

Then adjust the seat so that when a pedal is at the bottom of its cycle, your leg on that side should be straight when the heel is on the pedal. In practice when you're riding, the ball of your foot will be on the pedal, your heel will be somewhat raised (like you're in the middle of a step) and your knee will be slightly bent.

I didn't use a bike when I was an undergrad because I was at a small college where I could walk from one side of campus to the other in less than ten minutes.

In grad school I got a bike and used it for most of my transportation in town. I didn't have a car until the last year before I finished my Ph.D. I didn't have to worry about parking it while at work because I could keep it in my office.

I was talking to some people about this today and everyone generally thinks it's a good idea, and not strange at all. I'm an avid runner, I probably do 10 miles every other day, and I think this might be good exercise on the weekends if I am so inclined. Granted, I haven't been on a bicycle since I was 16.

What are your thoughts on the following two bikes?

This is my first choice, the price is fantastic, it's a bit above an entry level, has carbon forks and some other things it looks like. The color is a-okay with me, reminds me of a storm trooper.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/liberty_1.htm

Here is choice number two. Everywhere online (review wise) says that this is a pretty decent bike. It's a bit more expensive though.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_record_x.htm

I read a ton of reviews and how-to's online and I simply cannot find any reason why I would take a single gear over multiple or the other way around. After reading all of that and talking to two local bike shops I still can't decide on one or the other.

QuarkCharmer said:
Do any students here (or faculty for that matter) actually ride a bicycle to class? For the past few weeks I have been thinking it's a good idea. I live something like 2 miles from my university, and there are virtually no busy intersections that I would have to cross.

Lately, traffic has been so random that some days if I leave an hour early I still can't find reasonable parking anywhere near my classes. I have class at 10am a few days a week, and others in the evening on the other days, but if I am not out the door by 8:30 you literally cannot park anywhere.

a.) I don't own a bicycle, and I don't even know what type would be appropriate. I'm not 17, I'm in my late 20's.

b.) I live in Florida where it's hot as heck most of the year (which is nice), but I don't want to show up drenched in sweat. During the winter it can get a bone-chilling 70°F and I don't even want to leave the house I am so accustomed to the warmth.

I've recently started try to cycle as often as I can to school (15 to 20 km each way, 2 to 5 times a week)--I generally just wear shorts (not necessarily gym shorts) and t-shirt, and since I don't have BO (at least I don't think so) I just wipe down a little in the washroom with soap and water so that I don't feel as grimy or sticky. Some people actually bring changes of clothes and shower in the rec center (or, in some of the newer buildings, the shower stalls they put in for the bike commuters!)

Bone chilling 21 C!? That's a balmy (but not hot) day around here! Then again, I'd probably die of exhaustion trying to cycle during a hot day in Florida.

For sizing (and getting a first bike / servicing), I'd recommend your LBS (Local Bike Shop). Prices shouldn't be that much different from the online sites. If not, Sheldon Brown has some suggestions:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Chi Meson said:
I ride to work, 5 miles each way, I'm in Connecticut where the weather hits both extremes, ... what else...

Consider a "cyclocross" bike, but do NOT get a "hybrid." Spend as much as you can afford, get the right size frame, and keep at it.

Everything else said so far I agree with.

What's wrong with a hybrid or commuter? I've got one (Norco Malahat) and I love it! The suspension works great, I like the upright position, and the saddle is (IMO) quite comfy!

For the past year I've rode a hybrid city bike to and from uni. With all the nightmare traffic in London it was much faster than any other form of transport over distances of up to 10 miles (obviously not for all routes). My advise would be to go to a bike store and talk to the people there about what you want. Try out sitting on a few of the bikes and get an idea of how they size up.

Lastly make sure you know what roads are safe to ride on and what ones should be avoided. I have no idea what it is like where you are but in a major city there are always hotspots where cyclists regularly get injured or die because there is insufficient infrastructure (segregated cycle paths, pedestrian/cyclist/traffic stop lights etc) and too much traffic.

For the past year I've rode a hybrid city bike to and from uni. With all the nightmare traffic in London it was much faster than any other form of transport over distances of up to 10 miles (obviously not for all routes). My advise would be to go to a bike store and talk to the people there about what you want. Try out sitting on a few of the bikes and get an idea of how they size up.

Lastly make sure you know what roads are safe to ride on and what ones should be avoided. I have no idea what it is like where you are but in a major city there are always hotspots where cyclists regularly get injured or die because there is insufficient infrastructure (segregated cycle paths, pedestrian/cyclist/traffic stop lights etc) and too much traffic.

Oh yeah, from temps of -40 to 85F

I used to live in Philadelphia and walked to work. Then I lived in Japan for 9 years and rode my charinko bike to work about 3 miles each way. Then I moved back to the states, got a job and bought a house about a mile from work and rode my bike for about a year. Then the company moved about 3 miles up the road, but I continued to ride my bike. Then I got a job 35 miles away and finally bought my first car for commuting at the age of 49.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Then I got a job 35 miles away and finally bought my first car for commuting at the age of 49.

Do you mean that you bought your first car at that time? Or you had other cars for purposes other than commuting before?

KrisOhn said:
Do you mean that you bought your first car at that time? Or you had other cars for purposes other than commuting before?
I bought my first car when I was 44, but it was for getting around in the burbs, not commuting.

First car at 44 wow! I have never really lived in a place that would facilitate such transportation. I can commute to school where I live now, but virtually everything else is on the other side of town.

I think I am going to order the white Gravity in the link I posted today. I measured my leg length from crotch to ground without shoes and it was 32.5cm. All of the road bike size calculators (the ones that took into account geometry) claim I need a 56cm, but that bike only comes in 55.5cm. Hopefully everything will work out okay.

I'm going to order those rods that lock in the wheels/seat and a small U lock.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I bought my first car when I was 44, but it was for getting around in the burbs, not commuting.

That is awesome. My friends are pushing me to buy a vehicle (instead of the streetbike I bought), but I am going to put it off until there is no other option.

QuarkCharmer said:
First car at 44 wow! I have never really lived in a place that would facilitate such transportation. I can commute to school where I live now, but virtually everything else is on the other side of town.

I think I am going to order the white Gravity in the link I posted today. I measured my leg length from crotch to ground without shoes and it was 32.5cm. All of the road bike size calculators (the ones that took into account geometry) claim I need a 56cm, but that bike only comes in 55.5cm. Hopefully everything will work out okay.

32.5 cm leg length? Are you sure?

In any case -- I know we've had this discussion before on PF, and it can get heated -- but I want to urge you to wear a helmet. Protect your investment!

QuarkCharmer said:

Never ever, cheap out on the lock.

lisab said:
In any case -- I know we've had this discussion before on PF, and it can get heated -- but I want to urge you to wear a helmet. Protect your investment!

I do agree with this.

lisab said:
32.5 cm leg length? Are you sure?

Oops, I meant 32.5 in, and 56cm for the bike. It's depressing to make unit mistakes as a physics major lol.

I see no problem with a helmet.

I'm going to get a Kryptonite mini U lock as advised in that blog that was posted.

Thats a nice bike! The best part of it is that most road bikes on bikesdirect only have brake handles at the fronts of the bars, so you have to lean more to break. This is fine when going quick, but a pain if youre coasting. The one you posted lookst like it has both forward and top brake levers which is a huge bonus.

Now when you get it, itll be basically with the handlebars off, but all the brake stuff is connected. The seat will be off, and the front tire off.
They RECOMMEND you TRUE your wheels, which means get all the spokes adjusted to uniform tension so they don't wobble at all. This is usually anywhere from 20-50 bucks at a local bike shop, but when i put my girlfriends together i checked them and they were already true. I am not sure if its by manufacturer whether or not they come pre-set.

Good luck on your bike! After your first week on that road bike you'll be thinking about getting one of those plush gel seats you see at walmart DONT DO IT! Just stick with it and you'll get used to it :)

Oh and make sure to TAKE OFF THE FOOT STRAPS. I can't stress this enough, all my friends had their straps on and every one of them had some situation where they couldn't get their feet out in time and ended up wiping out. (city riding)

Hepth said:
Thats a nice bike! The best part of it is that most road bikes on bikesdirect only have brake handles at the fronts of the bars, so you have to lean more to break. This is fine when going quick, but a pain if youre coasting. The one you posted lookst like it has both forward and top brake levers which is a huge bonus.

Now when you get it, itll be basically with the handlebars off, but all the brake stuff is connected. The seat will be off, and the front tire off.
They RECOMMEND you TRUE your wheels, which means get all the spokes adjusted to uniform tension so they don't wobble at all. This is usually anywhere from 20-50 bucks at a local bike shop, but when i put my girlfriends together i checked them and they were already true. I am not sure if its by manufacturer whether or not they come pre-set.

Good luck on your bike! After your first week on that road bike you'll be thinking about getting one of those plush gel seats you see at walmart DONT DO IT! Just stick with it and you'll get used to it :)

Oh and make sure to TAKE OFF THE FOOT STRAPS. I can't stress this enough, all my friends had their straps on and every one of them had some situation where they couldn't get their feet out in time and ended up wiping out. (city riding)

Great advice there. I almost got pulled under a car that hit me while I was riding, but the pedal straps let me go in time. I was OK - the prognosis for the bike was grim, though.

Well it says:
"Note: Not as pictured, Pedals do NOT come with clip/straps and Forks are BlackCarbon finish NOT Body colored"

I'll likely replace the plastic pedals (I am assuming they will be plastic) with some dual sided aluminum ones anyway. I remember breaking those plastic ones as a kid. There is a local bike shop down the road from me, within riding distance to true the wheels. I want to do all the setup of the derailleur and such myself. I am more than capable, and probably more precise than most at calibration/metrology. I could do the wheels myself, but I don't have the rig to do it.

You could just bring an extra shirt to change into when you get to school. And on rainy days, maybe drive. I also live in Florida, but an hours drive from school. I take my motorcycle in the non-rainy season (when it's cooler anyway) and just drive during the summer months when you can count on afternoon rain. If your schedule allows it, you could just go home before the afternoon rain, or wait it out and go home after. Since I live so far away it's impossible for me to avoid the rain. If it's dry at school, there's still 50 miles of road that could be raining, or might start raining when I pass through. Even on dry days I have a couple plastic grocery bags just in case it does rain. I'd hate to see my expensive books or electronics get ruined.

QuarkCharmer said:
Well it says:
"Note: Not as pictured, Pedals do NOT come with clip/straps and Forks are BlackCarbon finish NOT Body colored"

I'll likely replace the plastic pedals (I am assuming they will be plastic) with some dual sided aluminum ones anyway. I remember breaking those plastic ones as a kid. There is a local bike shop down the road from me, within riding distance to true the wheels. I want to do all the setup of the derailleur and such myself. I am more than capable, and probably more precise than most at calibration/metrology. I could do the wheels myself, but I don't have the rig to do it.

The derailleur i think will come already setup if its anything like the one i got. Its almost completely put together.

lisab said:
I want to urge you to wear a helmet.

Seconded. I'm alive today because I was wearing a helmet when I got sideswiped by an old guy in a pickup truck while riding my bike thirteen years ago. I woke up as the EMTs were loading me into an ambulance. I think the local police still have the cracked helmet for show-and-tells in schools.

No head injury except for that brief concussion. I did have three broken bones elsewhere, and had to spend most of the summer living on the reclining chair in our living room because I couldn't get out of bed easily until the bones healed.

Just to cover the bases, make sure you know what the bylaws and regulations are regarding cycling in your municipality or county. For instance, mine treats cyclists as slow moving, non-licensed vehicles when on the road (with attendant duties to signal, obey traffic signals, stop for pedestrians, etc.) and requires a bell (to signal passes) and reflectors.

My city publishes a bike map, but it was last updated four years ago (and bike trails were greatly revamped within the last two). I was recently delighted to discover that Google Maps now has an option for cyclists, taking them through designated cycling and lower-traffic paths (where available):
http://googlemapsbikethere.org/2010/03/10/google-bike-directions-are-now-live/

For instance, if you like cycle touring, Google estimates it'd take you 11 days to cycle from Rogers Arena in Vancouver (home of the Canucks) to TD Gardens in Boston (home of the Bruins):
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R...AFoA&vpsrc=0&dirflg=b&mra=ls&t=m&z=4&lci=bike

That's a good point about bike rules. For example, at UF in Gainesville you can get a ticket for riding your bike on the side walk, not having a headlight after dark, riding your bike through a crosswalk, or wearing headphones while riding your bike. Other universities do not take the bike rules quite so seriously.

The Florida bike laws are entirely reasonable, and my university apparently has shower facilities for such travel which is news to me. There are no headphone regulations or other rules except for the headlight during night hours which really won't apply to me anyway.