Riemann Tensor Equation: Simplifying the Riemann-Christoffel Tensor

In summary, the Riemann-Christoffel tensor is defined as:- The Riemann curvature tensor equation can be simplified to- The term in the equation that is multiplied by is the Christoffel symbol.
redtree
The Riemann-Christoffel Tensor (##R^{k}_{\cdot n i j}##) is defined as:

$$
R^{k}_{\cdot n i j}= \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{j n}}{\delta Z^{i}} - \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{i n}}{\delta Z^{j}}+ \Gamma^{k}_{i l} \Gamma^{l}_{j n}- \Gamma^{k}_{j l} \Gamma^{l}_{i n}
$$

My question is that it seems that the equation can be simplified as follows, and I'm wondering if my understanding is correct or not.

Given following equation for the Christoffel symbol (##\Gamma^{k}_{i j}##):

$$
\Gamma^{k}_{i j} = \textbf{Z}^{k} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_{i}}{\delta Z^{j}}
$$Based on this equation, we consider the following term in the Riemann curvature tensor equation

$$

\begin{align}

\Gamma^{k}_{il}\Gamma^{l}_{jn} &= \textbf{Z}^{k} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{l}} \textbf{Z}^{l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{n}}

\\

&=\textbf{Z}^{k l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{l}} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{n}}

\end{align}

$$Similarly:

$$

\begin{align}

\Gamma^{k}_{j l}\Gamma^{l}_{i n} &= \textbf{Z}^{k} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{l}} \textbf{Z}^{l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{n}}

\\

&=\textbf{Z}^{k l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{l}} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{n}}

\\

&=\textbf{Z}^{k l} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_i}{\delta Z^{l}} \frac{\delta \textbf{Z}_j}{\delta Z^{n}}

\end{align}

$$Thus:

$$
\Gamma^{k}_{i l} \Gamma^{l}_{j n}- \Gamma^{k}_{j l} \Gamma^{l}_{i n}=0
$$If this is true, the Riemann curvature tensor can be simply written as follows:

$$
R^{k}_{\cdot n i j}= \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{j n}}{\delta Z^{i}} - \frac{\delta \Gamma^{k}_{i n}}{\delta Z^{j}}
$$

Where is my mistake? I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with your notation, but it seems you use a basis in which the connection vanishes while its derivative does not. This is always possible, but it does not result into a tensor equation since the connections are not tensors.

What you are doing from (4) to (5) does not seem correct. It is difficult to tell since, as pointed out in #2, you are not following the typical notation.

Likes Leonardo Machado
Notation is from Pavel Grinfeld: Introduction to Tensor Analysis and the Calculus of Moving Surfaces
I'm happy to put in different notation; if you could refer a page to me in the notation you prefer, I'm happy to change.
Steps (4) & (5) are really the key point. Why can't the terms be switched?

##\frac{\delta x}{\delta y} \frac{\delta z}{\delta t} = \frac{\delta z}{\delta y} \frac{\delta x}{\delta t}##?

Or similarly:

## \frac{\delta x}{\delta z} \frac{\delta z}{\delta y} = \frac{\delta x}{\delta y} \frac{\delta z}{\delta z} ##?

redtree said:
Why can't the terms be switched?
Why would they be interchangable? They represent different things.

I see the mistake; thanks!

1. What is the Riemann tensor equation?

The Riemann tensor equation is a mathematical equation used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a space. It is also known as the Riemann-Christoffel tensor and is often used in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does the Riemann tensor equation simplify the Riemann-Christoffel tensor?

The Riemann tensor equation simplifies the Riemann-Christoffel tensor by reducing the number of calculation steps required to solve for the curvature of a space. It does this by taking into account symmetries and properties of the Riemann-Christoffel tensor, making the calculations more efficient.

3. What is the significance of the Riemann tensor equation in physics?

The Riemann tensor equation is significant in physics because it is a fundamental tool in understanding the curvature of space and time in the theory of general relativity. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and string theory.

4. Is the Riemann tensor equation difficult to understand?

The Riemann tensor equation can be challenging to understand, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics. However, with some effort and study, it can be grasped and applied in various fields of physics and mathematics.

5. How is the Riemann tensor equation related to other equations in differential geometry?

The Riemann tensor equation is related to other equations in differential geometry, such as the Ricci tensor and the Weyl tensor. These equations all describe different aspects of the curvature of a space and are interconnected through the broader framework of differential geometry.