Right Hand Rule: Explained for the Lost

In summary, the right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a resultant vector in various fields of physics, such as torque and magnetic force. The rule involves using a formula that relates relevant vectors through a cross product, and then screwing the first vector onto the second with the fingers of the right hand and using the thumb to point in the direction of the force. This rule is useful in finding the direction of the resultant vector in equations involving the cross product.
fa08ti
can someone explain the application of the right hand rule? I'm totally lost. i'd like to understand how it's used

Physics news on Phys.org
fa08ti said:
can someone explain the application of the right hand rule? I'm totally lost. i'd like to understand how it's used

Can you tell me the area of physics u want ti use it (torque, mag. force or something else?)

Hi fa08ti! :smile:

In various learning materials a lot of right hand rules and left hand rules are introduced.
I always forget how they work exactly.

Luckily in each field where one is defined, there is a formula relating the relevant vectors with a cross product.
I you use those formulas, you only need one right hand rule.
The one that is related to the cross product.

Do you know what the cross product is?
And if so how to find the direction of the resultant vector?

it's for magnetic force

For magnetic force (Lorentz force) there are 2 formulas:

F = q(v x B)
F = L(I x B)

My methodTM (:smile:) is:
Screw the first vector onto the second vector with the fingers of your right hand and your thumb will point into the direction of the force F.

[itex]\vec{v}X\vec{B}[/itex] means that angle b/w them turns from v to B
open ur fingers ... point them in direction of v ... curl them along the angle so that they go towards B
then thumb gives force

Related to Right Hand Rule: Explained for the Lost

What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a principle used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of a magnetic field, current, or force in a three-dimensional space by using the right hand to represent the three axes.

How does the Right Hand Rule work?

The Right Hand Rule works by assigning the direction of the thumb, index finger, and middle finger to represent the direction of the three axes. The thumb represents the direction of the current or motion, the index finger represents the direction of the magnetic field, and the middle finger represents the resulting force.

Why is the Right Hand Rule important?

The Right Hand Rule is important because it allows scientists and engineers to quickly determine the direction of magnetic fields, current, and forces in a three-dimensional space. This is useful in a variety of applications, including motor design, electromagnetic induction, and particle accelerators.

Can the Right Hand Rule be used for both magnetic fields and electrical currents?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule can be used for both magnetic fields and electrical currents. However, the direction of the thumb and index finger may need to be swapped depending on whether the current is positive or negative.

Are there any variations of the Right Hand Rule?

Yes, there are variations of the Right Hand Rule, such as the Left Hand Rule and the Corkscrew Rule. These variations may be used in different scenarios or to represent different quantities, but they all follow the same basic principle of using the hand to determine direction in a three-dimensional space.