Rigid binding material that can dissolve?

In summary: Thanks for the link.In summary, the tungsten shot needs to be bound together with a substance that can be dissolved, but it is very brittle. Adding a fiber reinforcement might help.
TenaciousB
Hello there! I am working on a project where we need to bind together 2mm Tungsten shot into a solid shape. The shapes are around 10mm x 10mm x 12mm. I need to be able to reclaim the Tungsten beads after use. Thus far I have found that water soluable wax has been a good substance, however it is very brittle. If the form is dropped it will shatter. I am looking for a possible additive that I could put into the wax that would give it some flexibility but yet still be able to dissolve either by heat or water or some solvent.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Maybe if you mixed short, say 2 mm, fibres of Kevlar into the wax, that would give it the initial strength, and then be released during the recovery, when the wax is dissolved.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
Have you tried paraffin wax? It's easily removed with hot water, and is probably not too brittle for your application. If it is too hard and brittle, you can soften it by melting it and adding some oil. The oil could be anything from motor oil to mineral oil. Cooking oil might work.

There are other waxes available. McMaster-Carr has a selection: https://www.mcmaster.com/, and enter search term wax. McMaster-Carr is an excellent place to look when you are not sure exactly what you are looking for. They have a huge selection of stuff that you never heard of.

The suggestion by @Baluncore of adding a fiber reinforcement is good. Here is a source for other fibers that could be used for reinforcement: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/fillers.html. The flocked cotton fiber and milled glass fiber are both used to add strength to epoxy, so should do the same for wax. Another good company to deal with.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think to look at McMaster. I am planning on trying parrafin soon, its much cheaper than the specials waxes.

1. What is a rigid binding material that can dissolve?

A rigid binding material that can dissolve is a substance that can form strong bonds between different materials, but can also be dissolved in a solvent. This allows for easy removal or disassembly of the bonded materials.

2. What are some examples of rigid binding materials that can dissolve?

Some examples of rigid binding materials that can dissolve include certain types of adhesives, glues, and resins. These materials are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and crafts.

3. How does a rigid binding material that can dissolve work?

A rigid binding material that can dissolve works by forming strong bonds between materials through chemical reactions. However, when exposed to a specific solvent, the bonds between the materials can be broken, allowing for easy separation.

4. What are the benefits of using a rigid binding material that can dissolve?

The benefits of using a rigid binding material that can dissolve include easy disassembly and removal of bonded materials, reduced waste and environmental impact, and the ability to reuse or recycle materials.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a rigid binding material that can dissolve?

Some limitations or drawbacks of using a rigid binding material that can dissolve include the need for specific solvents to break the bonds, potential for weaker bonds compared to permanent adhesives, and limited applications in certain industries.