RIP PF Member Wolram - A Tribute to a Long-Time Member

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Member Rip
In summary: Woolie, one of the original members of the forum. With that said, PF is such a top notch community that if a person is spoken about with reverence then you know that person was amazing and their passing is a great loss.
I have just been informed, by his sister, that long-time member @wolram passed away back in August. wolram was one of the first PF members and was a mainstay in general discussion since last year. wolram was never shy asking questions and his curiosity was endless. wolram RIP, thank you for your friendship and time at PF.

• Sad
Likes chwala, Fervent Freyja, jim mcnamara and 29 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to hear the sad news. RIP, Wollie.

1640279603308.png

• Sad
Likes PhDeezNutz, Evo, pinball1970 and 7 others
Already lost many close ones to COVID this year, and some closer ones are still fighting the battle against a deadlier illness. Another sad news pours in. 😫 RIP, @wolram. We shall miss you!

• Sad
Likes Evo, sysprog, pinball1970 and 4 others
Oh dear, this is deeply saddening. :(

Likes Evo and Greg Bernhardt
His "All around the world" quiz thread a few years ago was a really enjoyable and comforting distraction for me at a time when I really needed it. I miss him, especially after going back and rereading old posts.

Likes Evo, sysprog, collinsmark and 2 others
WOOLIE RAM! NO! May you and your metal detector find hoards of gold up in heaven. I regret never being able to take you up on your kind invitations to come visit. :sorry::cry:

• Love
Likes sysprog, pinball1970, Wrichik Basu and 5 others
Very sad to hear. He was a valued member.

Likes Evo, sysprog and pinball1970
:frown:

Likes Evo, sysprog and pinball1970
Sorry to hear this news.

Based on his user name, wolram, my guess that his last name was actually Marlow, the reverse or wolram.

• Informative
Likes Hamiltonian, Evo, BillTre and 2 others
Mark44 said:
Based on his user name, wolram, my guess that his last name was actually Marlow, the reverse or wolram.
Yes, Robin Marlow, of Bishops Itchington, Warwickshire, England (as he previously posted in various places in these forums).

• Informative
Likes Evo, Astronuc and Greg Bernhardt
Mark44 said:
Sorry to hear this news.

I thought that maybe the name had something to do with its resemblance to 'wolfram' (tungsten).
(RIP, wolram).

Last edited:
Likes Hamiltonian and Evo
I remember the time he was working, trying to repair, a large vat of fondant (a thick sugary paste, often used to cover cakes) and he fell in head first, he was covered from the head down with pink goop.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes Borek, Wrichik Basu, BillTre and 5 others
I’m sorry for your loss. I didn’t know him and I didn’t see many of his posts.

With that said, PF is such a top notch community that if a person is spoken about with reverence then you know that person was amazing and their passing is a great loss.

R.I.P.

Likes chwala, Evo, Wrichik Basu and 3 others

What was Wolram's contribution to the PF community?

Wolram was a long-time member of the PF community who was known for his insightful and thought-provoking contributions to discussions on various scientific topics. He was particularly knowledgeable in the fields of physics and mathematics, and his posts were always well-researched and backed by evidence.

How did Wolram's passing affect the PF community?

Wolram's passing was a great loss to the PF community, as he was a respected and valued member for many years. His absence has been deeply felt by his fellow members, who have expressed their condolences and shared memories of his contributions.

What was Wolram's personality like?

From his posts and interactions with other members, it was clear that Wolram was a kind, passionate, and curious individual. He was always willing to engage in discussions and help others understand complex scientific concepts. He was also known for his sense of humor and his ability to make even the most technical topics interesting and accessible.

How can we honor Wolram's memory?

Many PF members have suggested creating a dedicated section or thread in the forum to remember and honor Wolram's contributions. Others have suggested making a donation to a charity or organization related to his interests in science and education. Ultimately, the best way to honor his memory is to continue engaging in meaningful discussions and promoting the pursuit of knowledge and understanding, just as Wolram did.

What legacy does Wolram leave behind?

Wolram's legacy is one of excellence, curiosity, and community. He will be remembered for his intellectual contributions to the PF community and his dedication to promoting scientific understanding. His passion for learning and sharing knowledge will continue to inspire others for years to come.