How Do You Calculate the Final Vector of a Rock Ejected from a Spaceship?

In summary, the equation for the final vector of the rock ejected from a spaceship traveling in the positive Y direction with velocity v1 and ejected at a 90 degree angle to the forward vector with velocity v2 can be represented as y=(v1/v2)x. The variables needed to solve this equation include the speed of the spaceship or the ejection speed of the rock, as well as the final speed of the rock. For more information on vector addition, please refer to the provided link.
DeckSmeck
I fly in a spaceship on a 2d plane (for simplicity sake) in zero G. I eject a rock 90 degrees right to my forward vector. What does the equation look like if I want the final vector of the rock?

I know the final speed of the rock is 100.

What variables need to be known about the ship and rock?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeckSmeck said:
I fly in a spaceship on a 2d plane (for simplicity sake) in zero G. I eject a rock 90 degrees right to my forward vector. What does the equation look like if I want the final vector of the rock?
It will be the equation for a straight line

To get the exact equation, you'll need the speed of your ship and the speed with which you eject the rock (and to be fully accurate, the place on the graph where the rock gets ejected, but for simplicity you could just take that as being the origin.

If, on the other hand, you were "ejecting a photon", you would get a completely different result. It would still be a straight line, but it would be just a horizontal line* since the motion of your ship would have no effect on the photon.

* I'm assuming your ship is traveling in the postie Y direction.

phinds said:
It will be the equation for a straight line

To get the exact equation, you'll need the speed of your ship and the speed with which you eject the rock (and to be fully accurate, the place on the graph where the rock gets ejected, but for simplicity you could just take that as being the origin.

If, on the other hand, you were "ejecting a photon", you would get a completely different result. It would still be a straight line, but it would be just a horizontal line since the motion of your ship would have no effect on the photon.

Speed or velocity?

DeckSmeck said:
Speed or velocity?
speed or velocity WHAT ?

phinds said:
If, on the other hand, you were "ejecting a photon", you would get a completely different result. It would still be a straight line, but it would be just a horizontal line* since the motion of your ship would have no effect on the photon.

* I'm assuming your ship is traveling in the postie Y direction.

Not talking about photons. Just a rock. Talking about photons in a different thread. If you want to talk about photons we can talk there.

phinds said:
speed or velocity WHAT ?
I understand these terms describe different things.

DeckSmeck said:
I understand these terms describe different things.
And what is it that you want to know about as regards this thread. Your post
DeckSmeck said:
Speed or velocity?
was meaningless to me.

phinds said:
And what is it that you want to know about as regards this thread. Your post

was meaningless to me.

Ok. Maybe someone else can come up with an equation. I will check tommorrow.

DeckSmeck said:
Ok. Maybe someone else can come up with an equation. I will check tommorrow.
The equation is utterly trivial. If the plane is flying in the postive Y direction with velocity v1 and the rock is ejected to the right with velocity v2 as the plane passes the origin, then the equation is y=(v1/v2)x

DeckSmeck said:

I know the final speed of the rock is 100.

I recommend reading this link on vector addition:
https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/Lesson-1/Vector-Addition

It looks to me like you also need either the speed of the spaceship or the ejection speed of the rock, since you have specified the final speed of the rock (which seems odd...).

Also:
Speed or velocity?
You will get better responses if you write your questions in complete sentences, containing complete thoughts. I believe I know what this question was referring to, but you should have written it out fully.

1. What causes rocks to be ejected from a spaceship?

Rocks can be ejected from a spaceship due to the force of the spaceship's engines or from collisions with other objects in space.

2. Can the speed of the spaceship affect the ejection of rocks?

Yes, the speed of the spaceship can greatly impact the ejection of rocks. The faster the spaceship is traveling, the more force is exerted on the rocks, causing them to be ejected at a higher velocity.

3. How far can rocks be ejected from a spaceship?

The distance that rocks can be ejected from a spaceship depends on a variety of factors, such as the speed of the spaceship, the size of the rocks, and any external forces acting on the rocks. In some cases, rocks have been known to travel thousands of kilometers away from a spaceship.

4. Are ejected rocks a hazard for other spaceships or objects in space?

Yes, ejected rocks can pose a hazard for other spaceships or objects in space. If they collide with another object, they can cause damage or alter the object's trajectory. It is important for spaceships to carefully monitor and control the ejection of rocks to avoid potential collisions.

5. Can rocks ejected from a spaceship be used for scientific research?

Yes, rocks ejected from a spaceship can be incredibly valuable for scientific research. They can provide insights into the composition and formation of other planets or bodies in our solar system. Scientists can analyze the rocks to learn more about the history and evolution of our universe.