Rocks thrown off of a skateboard

In summary, the final velocity of the skateboard can be calculated using the conservation of linear momentum equation, where m1 represents the person and skateboard, and m2 represents the rocks. The horizontal component of the initial velocity of the rocks (108 cos(15)) must be taken into account, and the final velocity of the rocks must be subtracted from the final velocity of the skateboard to account for the skateboard's velocity with respect to a stationary observer. This paradox can be explained by considering the relative velocities of the rocks and skateboard, and how the kinetic energy of each object changes as a result of the ejection of the rocks.
Skate

Homework Statement

A person sits on a skateboard and wants to propel themselves. The persons mass is 150 lbm whihile the skateboard mass can be ignored. The person has a bucket with 1 kg rocks totaling 10 kg. The rocks are ejected at a rate of 1 kg/s and a velocity of 108 mph with respect to the skateboarder. The rocks leave the hand at an angle of 15 degrees above the horizontal plane. Assume drag and friction are negligible.

a) Calculate the final velocity of the skateboard
b) From the skateboards perspective, each rock has the same relative velocity as it is thrown. However, since the skateboard is speeding up, it appears to an inertial observer that the velocity of each rock diminishes. Consequently, the kinetic energy of each rock decreases. However, the skateboard gains a constant amount of kinetic energy as each rock is thrown. Explain this paradox and use equations as necessary.

Homework Equations

Conservation of linear momentum

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

The Attempt at a Solution

Object 1 applies to the person and the skateboard. Object 2 applies to the rocks. m1=68.04 kg (150 lbm), m2=10 kg. I understand that v1i=0 and v2i=108 mph, but I don't understand how to interpret the final speed of the rocks (v2f) in order to find the final speed of the skateboard (v1f) and I also don't know how the 15 degree angle comes into the mix. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Skate said:

Homework Statement

A person sits on a skateboard and wants to propel themselves. The persons mass is 150 lbm whihile the skateboard mass can be ignored. The person has a bucket with 1 kg rocks totaling 10 kg. The rocks are ejected at a rate of 1 kg/s and a velocity of 108 mph with respect to the skateboarder. The rocks leave the hand at an angle of 15 degrees above the horizontal plane. Assume drag and friction are negligible.

a) Calculate the final velocity of the skateboard
b) From the skateboards perspective, each rock has the same relative velocity as it is thrown. However, since the skateboard is speeding up, it appears to an inertial observer that the velocity of each rock diminishes. Consequently, the kinetic energy of each rock decreases. However, the skateboard gains a constant amount of kinetic energy as each rock is thrown. Explain this paradox and use equations as necessary.

Homework Equations

Conservation of linear momentum

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f

The Attempt at a Solution

Object 1 applies to the person and the skateboard. Object 2 applies to the rocks. m1=68.04 kg (150 lbm), m2=10 kg. I understand that v1i=0 and v2i=108 mph,
To begin with this is wrong. It is the horizontal speed that is relevant here, 108cos(15).

but I don't understand how to interpret the final speed of the rocks (v2f) in order to find the final speed of the skateboard (v1f) and I also don't know how the 15 degree angle comes into the mix. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
initially, if the person and skate board are stationary, both v1i and v2i are 0. So your equation is m1v1f+ m2v2f= 0. Set v2f equal to 108 cos(15) and solve for v1f.

that would neglect that the velocities sought are likely with respect to a stationary observer. the rock leaves the hand at a horizontal velocity of 108 cos (15) _relative to the skateboarder_ who's velocity is not yet known. so the final rock velocity is 108cos(15)-v2f, where v2f is the velocity of the skateboarder with respect to a stationary observer.

1. What causes a skateboard to throw off rocks?

Skateboards can throw off rocks when they encounter rough surfaces or debris on the ground. This can also happen when the skateboard is moving at a high speed, causing it to kick up rocks and other objects on the ground.

2. Can rocks thrown off of a skateboard cause damage?

Yes, rocks thrown off of a skateboard can cause damage to people, property, and the environment. It is important to be mindful of where you are skateboarding and to avoid throwing off rocks in areas where it can cause harm.

3. How can I prevent rocks from being thrown off of my skateboard?

You can prevent rocks from being thrown off of your skateboard by regularly checking and maintaining your skateboard's wheels. Smooth and clean wheels are less likely to kick up rocks and debris. Additionally, be mindful of the surfaces you are skateboarding on to avoid rough and uneven terrain.

4. Is it dangerous to ride a skateboard on rocky surfaces?

Yes, riding a skateboard on rocky surfaces can be dangerous. It can cause the skateboard to lose control and potentially lead to injuries. It is important to choose skateboarding locations carefully and avoid rocky surfaces if possible.

5. Can the type of skateboard affect the amount of rocks thrown off?

Yes, the type of skateboard can affect the amount of rocks thrown off. Skateboards with larger and softer wheels are less likely to throw off rocks compared to skateboards with smaller and harder wheels. The design and shape of the skateboard can also play a role in how much rocks are kicked up.