Rocket: Learn Rocket Science for NASA Student Launch Initiative

In summary, Rozy is a college student looking to form a group to compete in NASA's student launch initiative, but lacks knowledge in rocketry and is seeking resources to learn more. They are studying mechanical engineering and hoping to emphasize in aerospace engineering, and are considering asking professors and posting flyers to find interested individuals. They are also wondering if there are any local rocketry groups in their area.
Rozy_94
Hi! So I'm a college student and I was looking at trying to get together a group to compete in NASA's student launch initiative. However I don't really know anything about rocketry and don't know where to start. I'm currently studying mechanical engineering and planning on emphasizing in aerospace engineering but I was hoping that someone could point in in the right direction with maybe a book or website that would be helpful in learning about that type of rocketry. Thanks so much!
-Rozy

Physics news on Phys.org
Rozy_94 said:
Hi! So I'm a college student and I was looking at trying to get together a group to compete in NASA's student launch initiative. However I don't really know anything about rocketry and don't know where to start. I'm currently studying mechanical engineering and planning on emphasizing in aerospace engineering but I was hoping that someone could point in in the right direction with maybe a book or website that would be helpful in learning about that type of rocketry. Thanks so much!
-Rozy

Welcome to the PF.

Have you asked around in the ME department to find out if there are any professors who might also be interested in forming such a group? Maybe post a flyer on the department's bulletin board asking if others are interested. There may be a local rocketry group in your area as well. Where are you located?

1. What is the NASA Student Launch Initiative?

The NASA Student Launch Initiative (NSLI) is a competition that challenges teams of middle school, high school, and college students to design, build, and launch a reusable rocket with a scientific or engineering payload. The goal of the program is to inspire and educate the next generation of scientists, engineers, and astronauts.

2. Who can participate in the NSLI?

The NSLI is open to middle school, high school, and college students in the United States. Teams can be made up of students from multiple grade levels and schools, and can be affiliated with organizations such as schools, clubs, or youth groups.

3. What is the purpose of the "Rocket: Learn Rocket Science for NASA Student Launch Initiative" course?

The purpose of this course is to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the science behind rocket design and launch. It covers topics such as propulsion, aerodynamics, and materials science, and prepares students to design and build their own rocket for the NSLI competition.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to take this course?

No prior knowledge or experience is necessary to take this course. It is designed for students who are interested in learning about rocket science and participating in the NSLI, regardless of their previous background in science or engineering.

5. How will this course benefit me if I am not participating in the NSLI?

Even if you are not participating in the NSLI competition, this course can still provide you with a valuable understanding of rocket science and its applications. The concepts and skills you will learn in this course can be applied to a variety of fields and may even inspire you to pursue a career in aerospace engineering or related fields.