Role of pressure and temperature in chemical reactions

In summary, the conversation touches on the possibility of a chemical reaction occurring at high pressure and low temperature without the use of elevated temperature. The speaker suggests that the effect of increased pressure is equivalent to that of increased temperature in the kinetics of a reaction. The expert confirms that this is technically possible, but not necessary for a reaction to occur. An example is not provided, but the expert mentions that calculations can be done to determine the feasibility of such a reaction.
physea
Hello!

I have a feeling and I would like to know if it is true.
I feel that if a reaction between two gases, takes place in high temperature only (perhaps with the presence of a catalyst), then if we increase the pressure high enough and keep the temperature low, the reaction may still take place.

In other words, I think that it is quite equivalent the effect of increased temperature and increased pressure in the kinetics of a chemical reaction.

Is that true?

Can you give me an example of such reactions?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
At this level of a handwavy generalization the answer is: yes, no, maybe.

Technically yes, elevated temperatures are used to either speed up the reaction (kinetic factor) or to move the equilibrium to the right (thermodynamic factor) to make the reaction practical, but there is nothing that makes them absolutely necessary.

However, if the amount of products at equilibrium present in the mixture is below a single molecule per mole of reactants, do you consider it to mean "reaction took place"? I don't have an example at hand, but it is not difficult to calculate ΔG for such a reaction from estimates of equilibrium constants and it will be in a reasonable range (as in: yes, we know reactions with such ΔG).

Likes Bystander

What is the role of pressure and temperature in chemical reactions?

Pressure and temperature can greatly affect the rate and outcome of a chemical reaction. Pressure refers to the force applied on a substance, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. Both of these factors can influence the speed and efficiency of a chemical reaction.

How does pressure affect a chemical reaction?

An increase in pressure can lead to an increase in the number of collisions between particles, which can result in a faster reaction rate. This is because higher pressure compresses the particles, making them closer together and more likely to collide. However, too much pressure can also have a negative effect on some reactions, such as those involving gases, as it can cause the reactants to become more concentrated and potentially lead to unwanted side reactions.

What is the effect of temperature on chemical reactions?

Temperature plays a crucial role in chemical reactions. An increase in temperature typically leads to an increase in the kinetic energy of particles, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently. This results in a higher reaction rate. Temperature can also affect the stability of reactants and products, as well as the activation energy required for a reaction to occur.

Does pressure or temperature have a greater impact on chemical reactions?

The impact of pressure and temperature on a chemical reaction depends on the specific reaction and its reactants. In some cases, pressure may have a greater effect on the reaction rate, while in others, temperature may be the dominant factor. It is important to carefully consider both pressure and temperature when studying or conducting chemical reactions.

How can pressure and temperature be controlled in chemical reactions?

Pressure and temperature can be controlled by adjusting the conditions in which the reaction takes place. This can include changing the volume of the reaction vessel, adding or removing heat, or using different equipment to alter the pressure. It is important to carefully monitor and control these factors to ensure the desired outcome of the reaction.