Rolling and Sliding: Solving Angular Momentum Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball rolling and sliding on a supporting surface. The solution involves applying the angular momentum theorem and considering the force of friction on the point of contact between the ball and the surface. The mistake in the original calculation was not accounting for the slowing down of the ball due to friction. The solution for the ball's velocity and angular velocity at the moment it starts to roll is given, as well as the time it takes for the ball to start rolling. The conversation then moves on to discussing the work performed by friction on the ball and how to calculate it. The final point of discussion is the velocity of the contact point relative to the supporting surface and how it can be used to calculate the work done by
roadrunner1994
Homework Statement
A homogeneous ball with mass M and radius R is set in
motion on a horizontal floor in such a way that the ball initially (i.e., at
time t = 0) has the translational velocity Vo. We assume that the ball begins
its motion as pure sliding. The coefficient of friction between the ball and
the floor is μ. The motion of the ball between the time t = 0 and t = tr is
a combination of sliding and rolling. At time t = tr the ball begins to roll
without sliding. In the time between t = 0 and t = tr the ball has moved a
distance D along the floor.
(1) Determine tr.
Relevant Equations
-
Hi,
I solved this prolem in the following way.
I have started with the angular momentum theorem:
Iα=fR
As the force of friction vector is attached on point of contact of the ball and the supporting surface, the moment of inetria is:
Ic= MR^2 + Icm = MR^2 + (2/5)MR^2

Ic*a/R=μMgR
tr=7/5(v0/μg)

It seems that I've made a mistake during calculations of moment of inertia, because the right anwer is tr=2/7(v0/μg), but I can't find that mistake.
Thanks for your help!

Likes Magesh and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The ball's velocity is slowing down due to the force of friction. It seems that you haven't taken that into account, have you?

Likes roadrunner1994
roadrunner1994 said:
force of friction vector is attached on point of contact of the ball and the supporting surface
That point of contact is not a fixed axis of rotation

Likes roadrunner1994
You are right, I think the solution will be:

a = -μg
α = (5/2)μg/R

v = v0 - μgt
ω = (5/2)μgt/R

and at the moment when ball starts to roll
v0 - μgt = R* (5/2)μgt/R
t = 2/7(v0/μg)

One more question :smile:
(3) Determine the work W that the forces of friction perform in the time
from t = 0 to t = tr i.e. in the time where the ball was both rolling and
sliding

I suppose I can't just use the equation t0trFvdt, can I?

roadrunner1994 said:
One more question :smile:
(3) Determine the work W that the forces of friction perform in the time
from t = 0 to t = tr i.e. in the time where the ball was both rolling and
sliding

I suppose I can't just use the equation t0trFvdt, can I?
you could simply apply the work-energy theorem or since the force of friction remains constant till time tr you could just use ##W = f.r## where r is the displacement of the ball.

Likes roadrunner1994
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
you could simply apply the work-energy theorem or since the force of friction remains constant till time tr you could just use ##W = f.r## where r is the displacement of the ball.

In this way? W = ΔK = ½Mv^2 + ½Iω^2 - ½M(v0)^2
since
v = v0 - μgt
ω = (5/2)μgt/R
t = 2/7(v0/μg)

the result is negative → W = -1/7[M(v0)^2]
Is it correct?

You subtracted the initial kinetic energy from the final kinetic energy. It comes out negative because kinetic energy has been lost to friction and converted to heat.

Likes roadrunner1994 and Hamiltonian
Thank you :smile:
And for the subsequent subpoint:
Show that W = 0trμMgVc(t)dt, where Vc is the velocity of the contact
point relative to the supporting surface (the floor).

The velocity of the contact point will be the following:
Vc = ωR - v = ωR - v0 + μgt, right?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to rolling and sliding?

In the context of rolling and sliding, angular momentum is important because it helps us understand how objects move when they are both rotating and translating. When an object is rolling, it has both linear and angular momentum, while an object that is sliding only has linear momentum.

3. What is the angular momentum theorem?

The angular momentum theorem states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant if no external torque is applied. In other words, the angular momentum of a system is conserved.

4. How do you solve for angular momentum in a rolling and sliding scenario?

To solve for angular momentum in a rolling and sliding scenario, you need to first calculate the moment of inertia of the object and its angular velocity. Then, use the formula L = Iω to find the object's angular momentum. If the object is both rolling and sliding, you can use the formula L = Iω + mvR, where m is the object's mass and R is the distance from the point of rotation to the center of mass.

5. What are some real-world applications of the angular momentum theorem?

The angular momentum theorem has many practical applications, including in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics, where understanding angular momentum is important for performing spins and flips. It is also used in engineering and physics to analyze the motion of rotating objects, such as wheels and gears.