Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster questions

In summary, the author is considering building or modifying a device inspired by the following: a motor inspired by brushless motors used in other applications, such as model aircraft, drones, and boats; and the advantage of this motor modality is that it uses less power.
Yogi71
Hello,
I am considering an attempt at building or modifying a device inspired by the following, as well as others:

I don't know how I would make a driver for such a thing. Would it need to be software driven for example? Any input to point me in the right direction would be very helpful to me and deeply appreciated.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Could you compare and contrast this modality of electric motor with other modalities? What would you say is the main advantage of this modality for the marine propeller application?
Yogi71 said:
I don't know how I would make a driver for such a thing.
What do you mean by that? Are you asking about whether you need some closed-loop control capability to figure out how to time the changing coil currents in the stator? If so, what are your thoughts? When you do more Google searching and reading about this electric motor modality, how are they controlling the speed of the rotor? Do they use feedback, or just drive it open-loop?

Basically it's a large permanent magnet brushless motor. Plenty are used for all sorts of other applications even model aircraft, drones etc

Yes some sort of electronic device is required to control the speed and to commutate the motor. Brushless motor controller ICs are available but I don't know if any support the number of poles you are talking about and you will need additional electronics (eg power FETs) to interface them to the motor windings. Worth looking at their application notes/design guides.

Likes berkeman
Hi berkman,..." how are they controlling the speed of the rotor?"

I do not yet know how their controller works. I am, at this point, assuming is to be an open loop system, however at least a monitored one. Likely equipped with some emergency controls.

Yogi71 said:
Hi berkman,..." how are they controlling the speed of the rotor?"

I do not yet know how their controller works. I am, at this point, assuming is to be an open loop system, however at least a monitored one. Likely equipped with some emergency controls.
Did you see the good reply by @CWatters ?

Hi berkeman,
The main advantage spoken of in the video was about using less power. More efficiency! As far as "how are they controlling the rotor speed" , at this point I am assuming it is open loop and they slow the firing of the coils. Yet this at some point may need to balance with power to the coils being adjusted.
Not sure exactly how their system works.

Yes I saw that post. I also have pondered that-number of poles- obviously a custom design.

Yogi71 said:
Not sure exactly how their system works.
Well, just keep doing your research and reading, and you'll learn a lot more about this electric motor and other modalities of electric motors.

Hint -- For this marine application, not having to seal the drive shaft that drives the propeller is a big advantage for efficiency and reliability. After you have done more reading, you should be able to explain that hint back to us. :smile:

Last edited:
yogi71 said:
some kind of weird attitude...I did enough reading just now. Here's a hint------delete my account! see ya
Hmm, strange. Fun project and lots of great things to learn doing it. Not sure what the problem is, but I'll close this thread for now. PM me if you'd like it re-opened after you've done more reading. Keep on experimenting and learning. :smile:

(Note -- there has been some cleanup in the thread)

The OP is on a 10-day vacation from the PF. He/she can start a new thread showing more of their research and reading when they return, if they want our help. This thread will remain closed.

Last edited:

1. How does a Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster work?

A Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster uses a combination of magnets and electric currents to generate a magnetic field, which interacts with the Earth's magnetic field to produce thrust. The thruster is mounted on a spacecraft and can be controlled to change its direction and intensity of thrust.

2. What are the advantages of using a Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster?

The main advantage of using a Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster is its efficiency. It requires very little power to operate, making it a cost-effective option for long-term missions. Additionally, it does not require any fuel, reducing the need for refueling and minimizing the weight of the spacecraft.

3. How powerful is a Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster?

The power of a Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster varies depending on the specific model and its application. However, on average, these thrusters can generate up to several hundred millinewtons of thrust, which is enough to maneuver and control a spacecraft in space.

4. What are some potential applications for a Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster?

A Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster can be used for a wide range of applications, including satellite and spacecraft propulsion, as well as in deep space missions. It can also be used for station-keeping, which involves maintaining the position and orientation of a spacecraft in orbit.

5. Is a Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster environmentally friendly?

Yes, a Rolls Royce permanent magnet thruster is considered to be an environmentally friendly option for spacecraft propulsion. It does not produce any harmful emissions or pollutants, making it a sustainable choice for long-term space missions.