Root Locus Sketching: Why Is -0.435 the Breakaway Point?

In summary, the breakaway point for the given system is chosen as -0.435 because it is the only point that lies on the root locus. This is because when solving for the system's characteristic equation, only positive values of K correspond to points on the root locus.
FFX
Hi guys. Firstly the answer to the requirement of the post is all in the picture (problem statement, relevant equations etc.). I'm just wondering if someone could tell me why they use the root -0.435 as the breakaway point? Like I know there's two real roots; -0.435 and -1.61, so obviously one of those two are the breakaway. Is it simply -0.435 because the rule is that two poles can never intersect? Or is it for an additional reason? Like I could apply the two poles never intersection rule to this scenario, but I'm wondering if there's another reason. Such as what were to happen if the roots were -0.435 and -0.675, or is such a thing not possible?
avhj05.png

Physics news on Phys.org
FFX said:
I'm just wondering if someone could tell me why they use the root -0.435 as the breakaway point?
That's the only point that's actually on the root locus.

When you solve for ##\sigma##, you're going to get solutions that correspond to negative values of ##K##, i.e. points that aren't on the root locus. You can figure out what values of ##\sigma## correspond to positive values of ##K## by inserting them into the characteristic equation for your system:
$$
K\frac{(s - z_1)(s - z_2)\dots(s - z_m)}{(s - p_1)(s - p_2)\dots(s - p_n)} = -1 \Leftrightarrow K = -\frac{(s - p_1)(s - p_2)\dots(s - p_n)}{(s - z_1)(s - z_2)\dots(s - z_m)}
$$

Ah that makes sense, thank you!

Related to Root Locus Sketching: Why Is -0.435 the Breakaway Point?

1. What is Root Locus Sketching?

Root Locus Sketching is a graphical method used to analyze the stability of a closed-loop control system. It involves plotting the roots of the characteristic equation of the system as a function of a parameter (usually the proportional gain) to determine the stability of the system for different values of the parameter.

2. How is the breakaway point determined in a Root Locus?

The breakaway point is the point on the root locus plot where the roots of the characteristic equation start to move towards the unstable region. It is determined by finding the intersection of two branches of the root locus, where the angle of departure and angle of arrival are equal.

3. Why is -0.435 considered the breakaway point?

In a root locus plot, the breakaway point is where the roots of the characteristic equation start to move towards the unstable region. The value of -0.435 is the point on the real axis where this occurs, and it represents the value of the proportional gain at which the system becomes unstable.

4. What happens if the breakaway point is located at a negative value?

If the breakaway point is located at a negative value, it means that the system will become unstable for any value of the proportional gain greater than zero. This indicates that the system is not controllable, and the controller needs to be redesigned to improve the stability of the system.

5. Can the breakaway point be controlled in a Root Locus plot?

Yes, the breakaway point can be controlled by adjusting the parameters of the system, such as the controller gains or the system dynamics. By changing these parameters, the breakaway point can be shifted to a more desirable location, allowing for better control and stability of the system.