Root Test and Integral Test Question

In summary, the Root Test is solvable, and the Integral Test does not require the use of imaginary numbers.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
From K=4 to infinity the Σ (-1)^k (k/e^k)

Converge or diverge?
Use:
a) Ratio Test
b) Root Test
c) Integral Test
d) Alternating series test

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the alternating series test and ratio test I have the correct answer that it converges. These were fairly simple for me to proceed with.
However, I am stuck on the Root test and Integral test.
For the root test I DID get an answer, but it seems corrupt:

Lim as n approaches infinity of (|(-1)^k (k/e^k|))^(1/k)
With some simplification I narrowed it down to
The lim as n-->infinity of (|n^(1/n)|/e)

Which doesn't seem solvable ?

And for the Integral test, I am seeing the answer requires imaginary numbers, etc. which we do not use in this class. Is it possible that the instructor did not realize this? Does this problem demand the use of imaginary numbers, etc? If so, I imagine I would be able to pass on this part.

Thanks for any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Root test: it is solvable. The numerator is a well-known limit problem with a standard answer, but here you do not need the exact limit - it is sufficient to find some upper bound, and that is easier to find.

RJLiberator said:
And for the Integral test, I am seeing the answer requires imaginary numbers, etc.
You can show absolute convergence instead of the (weaker) convergence. There, you don't get issues with complex numbers.

Likes RJLiberator
mfb said:
Root test: it is solvable. The numerator is a well-known limit problem with a standard answer, but here you do not need the exact limit - it is sufficient to find some upper bound, and that is easier to find.

You can show absolute convergence instead of the (weaker) convergence. There, you don't get issues with complex numbers.

Ah, music to my ears. I see exactly what to do with the absolute convergence of the integral test. I took out the (-1)^k and then integrated to get a result o 5/e^4 which concludes absolute convergence.

Now, I will try to work on the root test.

Thank you for your guidance.

mfb said:

For the Root Test:

I took the limit of the numerator and denominator. For the common limit of n^(1/n) the limit is 1. For e, the limit is the constant --> e.
Thus, answer is 1/e and the limit is less then 1 meaning absolute convergence.

Thank you for your guidance.

Q: What is the root test?

The root test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series by taking the nth root of the absolute value of each term and evaluating the limit as n approaches infinity.

Q: How do you use the root test?

To use the root test, take the nth root of each term in the series and evaluate the limit of these roots as n approaches infinity. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another test must be used.

Q: What is the integral test?

The integral test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to an improper integral. If the integral converges, the series also converges. If the integral diverges, the series also diverges. If the integral is inconclusive, the test cannot be used.

Q: How do you use the integral test?

To use the integral test, first determine if the series is positive and decreasing. Then, find the improper integral of the function used in the series. If the improper integral converges, the series also converges. If the improper integral diverges, the series also diverges. If the improper integral is inconclusive, the test cannot be used.

Q: When should the root test be used instead of the integral test?

The root test is typically used when the terms in the series involve factorials or exponents, while the integral test is used for functions that can be easily integrated. Additionally, the root test is often used when the series is in the form of a power series. In general, the root test is more versatile and applicable to a wider range of series.