Rope on Table Kleppner-Mechanics

In summary, the problem involves a rope with mass M and length l lying on a frictionless table, with a portion of length l0 hanging through a hole. The initial condition is that the rope is at rest. The task is to find a general solution for x(t), the length of rope through the hole. There is some confusion over the assumptions about the shape and movement of the rope, and how it passes through the hole, which can lead to different ODEs.
MARX

Homework Statement

A rope of mass M and length l lies on a frictionless table, with a short portion, l0 hanging through a hole. Initially the rope is at rest. a. Find a general solution for x(t), the length of rope through the hole.

Homework Equations

UPLOADED

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution uploaded. Where did I go wrong! My differential equation is different than Kleppner's.
Thanks

UPLOADED
IMG_0036.JPG
[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    951.9 KB · Views: 881
Physics news on Phys.org
What is P ?

BvU said:
What is P ?
Linear Momentum going down positive

That the only thing that moves ?

BvU said:
That the only thing that moves ?
Rope on table moving along horizontally not down so yes
I am summing momentum along the vertical direction

So where does the motion of the horizontal part of the rope come from :rolleyes: ? Spontaneity ?

MARX said:
A rope of mass M and length l lies on a frictionless table
It is unclear whether it lies in a formless heap or in a straight line. If in a line then it is unclear exactly how it passes through the hole. You have assumed a heap. Can you find a different assumption which matches the book equation?

I am still not sure from replies either way what difference it makes?
are you suggesting there is also Tension Up on top of the moving piece? needs factored to the force? would it not be zero anyways if we consider the nonmoving part of the rope ie no forces there HORIZANTALLY so T = 0 ? and no friction so rope should slide towards hole freely?

MARX said:
the nonmoving part of the rope
If the portion on the table is straight then there are no nonmoving (indeed, no non-accelerating) parts.

haruspex said:
If the portion on the table is straight then there are no nonmoving (indeed, no non-accelerating) parts.
Thank you. I see. You are correct. But now the question is how do I find ∫ F dt between t and t+dt

MARX said:
Thank you. I see. You are correct. But now the question is how do I find ∫ F dt between t and t+dt
As I mentioned in post #7, if the tabletop portion is straight there is still a question mark over exactly how it passes through the hole.
Most likely, the question setter assumes work is conserved. E.g. imagine a hole in the form of a smooth tube bent into an arc, horizontal at the top and vertical below. In this way, the horizontal momentum of the rope across the table gets converted into vertical momentum without KE loss.
At the other extreme, as each dx of rope reaches the top of the hole it effectively slams into a wall, losing all its momentum and KE.
These scenarios will lead to different ODEs.

haruspex said:
As I mentioned in post #7, if the tabletop portion is straight there is still a question mark over exactly how it passes through the hole.
Most likely, the question setter assumes work is conserved. E.g. imagine a hole in the form of a smooth tube bent into an arc, horizontal at the top and vertical below. In this way, the horizontal momentum of the rope across the table gets converted into vertical momentum without KE loss.
At the other extreme, as each dx of rope reaches the top of the hole it effectively slams into a wall, losing all its momentum and KE.
These scenarios will lead to different ODEs.
Got it. Ok thanks so much.

What is the "Rope on Table Kleppner-Mechanics" problem?

The "Rope on Table Kleppner-Mechanics" problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves a rope of known length and mass hanging over the edge of a table. The problem requires the calculation of the tension and acceleration of the rope as it falls to the ground.

Why is this problem important in physics?

This problem is important in physics because it allows students to apply concepts such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and rotational motion to a real-life scenario. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What assumptions are made in solving this problem?

There are a few assumptions made in solving this problem, including: the rope is massless, the table is frictionless, and the rope is inextensible. These assumptions allow for simplified calculations and make the problem more manageable.

What are the key equations used to solve this problem?

The key equations used to solve the "Rope on Table Kleppner-Mechanics" problem are Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), the work-energy theorem, and the principle of conservation of energy. These equations help determine the tension and acceleration of the rope at different points in time.

What are some common mistakes made when solving this problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving this problem include forgetting to account for the weight of the rope, not properly setting up the free body diagram, and using incorrect units. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check all calculations to avoid these mistakes.