Rotating y=x^(3)+1 about x=-1 Using Washer Method

In summary, the equation for rotating a circle about its center is y=x^3+1, where x=-1. The washer method is to integrate the equation from a to b of 1+1^(2)-[1+(y-1)^(1/3)]^(2). The answer is 9pi/10.
hvidales

Homework Statement

y=x^(3) +1, x=1, y=1; rotated about x=-1

Homework Equations

Washer Method. Pi * Integral from a to b of [Outer radius]^2-[inner radius]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the shell method version but I wanted to learn the washer way for this one.

Pi* Integral from 1 to 2 of (1+1)^(2)-[1+(y-1)^(1/3)]^(2) dy.
I am sure this is the wrong way to set it up because I get like pi lol. The answer should be 9pi/10. Like I said I know how to do this through the shells but not the washer. I also do not know how one can see that the shells would be easier to use. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You set it up correctly. You must be doing the integration incorrectly.

hvidales said:

Homework Statement

y=x^(3) +1, x=1, y=1; rotated about x=-1

Homework Equations

Washer Method. Pi * Integral from a to b of [Outer radius]^2-[inner radius]^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the shell method version but I wanted to learn the washer way for this one.

Pi* Integral from 1 to 2 of (1+1)^(2)-[1+(y-1)^(1/3)]^(2) dy.
I am sure this is the wrong way to set it up because I get like pi lol. The answer should be 9pi/10. Like I said I know how to do this through the shells but not the washer. I also do not know how one can see that the shells would be easier to use. Thanks for the help!
Looks good.

By the way,
[itex]\displaystyle \int_1^2 \left(4-(1+\sqrt[3]{y-1}\,)^2 \right) dy=\frac{9}{10}[/itex]​

Thank you both for helping out :). I got it thanks to you guys. Yay! I was just integrating wrong. My mistake was that when I squared the 1/3 for some reason I just removed the root instead of making it 2/3 ha. Once again thank you both :)

Related to Rotating y=x^(3)+1 about x=-1 Using Washer Method

1. How do you use the Washer Method to rotate y=x^(3)+1 about x=-1?

To use the Washer Method, you need to first find the radius and height of the washers that will be used to create the solid of revolution. The radius is the distance from the axis of rotation to the function, in this case x=-1. The height is the difference between the upper and lower curves at any given point. Once you have these values, you can use the formula V = π∫(outer radius)^2 - (inner radius)^2 dx to calculate the volume of the solid.

2. What is the purpose of rotating y=x^(3)+1 about x=-1?

The purpose of rotating a function about a given axis is to create a solid of revolution, which can then be used to calculate its volume. In this case, rotating y=x^(3)+1 about x=-1 will create a solid with a unique shape that can be measured using the Washer Method.

3. What is the difference between the Washer Method and the Shell Method?

The Washer Method and the Shell Method are two different techniques used to calculate the volume of a solid of revolution. The main difference is that the Washer Method uses washers (or disks) to create the solid, while the Shell Method uses cylindrical shells. They both have different formulas for calculating volume and can be used for different types of functions and rotations.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the Washer Method for rotation about x=-1?

One common mistake when using the Washer Method is forgetting to square the radii in the formula. It is important to remember that the formula for volume is V = π∫(outer radius)^2 - (inner radius)^2 dx, so the radii must be squared to get the correct result. Another mistake is using the wrong axis of rotation, which can lead to incorrect calculations and an inaccurate volume.

5. Can the Washer Method be used for any function and axis of rotation?

Yes, the Washer Method can be used for any function as long as it is rotated about a single axis. However, it is important to note that the formula may differ depending on the function and axis of rotation. It is always best to double check the formula and make sure it is appropriate for the specific problem at hand.