Rotation in spherical coordinates

In summary: You could use a rotation matrix that does the rotation in polar coordinates, or you could use an inverse rotation matrix.
linda300
Hi guys,

This isn't really a homework problem but I just need a bit of help grasping rotations in spherical coordinates.

My main question is,

Is it possible to rotate a vector r about the y-axis by an angle β if r is expressed in spherical coordinates and you don't want to convert r cartesian coordinates to do the rotation (just using 1 rotation matrix?

I've been searching the web for a while in hope for a simple explanation and a straight forward rotation matrix so I can play with it / test it and the only things I have found are based in cartesian coordinates.

Of course the y-axis rotation is just an example for me to learn from but in this case.

I know that in cartesian coordinates the rotation matrix will be:

cos β...0...-sin β
sin β...0...cos β

But you can only apply this to vectors which are represented in cartesian coordinates right? How can I write this rotation matrix in spherical coordinates so I can applying to a vector writing in sphereical coordinates?

Would anyone be able to give me a hand?

Edit:
The correct thing to do would be this right?

What I'm trying to ask is if there is an easier way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm being dumb, but I don't understand what the vector on the right hand end of that equation represents. Is it supposed to be a position vector expressed in spherical coordinates? You can't write conversion to Cartesian in matrix form since it is not a linear transformation.
To get Cartesian coordinates from applying the rightmost matrix, the vector it's applied to would consist of (r, r, r)T.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi linda! :smile:

The vector on the right hand would represent a vector in a local cartesian system. A system that is defined for a specific point in spherical coordinates. It changes when that point changes.

That transformation looks correct.
It would transform a localized vector to another localized vector after a rotation by an angle beta with respect to the y-axis through the point where the vector is localized.
I do not see a way to significantly simplify that.

In advanced computer graphics, a typical way to simplify it (or rather reduce the amount of memory and number of operations to evaluate it), is by doing the same thing using octonions.
But I suspect that is not what you're looking for.

More thoughts...
You could do it very easily if you had a way to transpose the Cartesian coordinates while working only in polar form. Suppose you want to swap x and z. The new polar angles are θ', ϕ'.
sin θ cos ϕ = cos θ'
sin θ sin ϕ = sin θ' sin ϕ'
(whence tan ϕ = tan θ' sin ϕ')
cos θ = sin θ' cos ϕ'
So it's easy to find θ and ϕ from θ' and ϕ'.

1. What is rotation in spherical coordinates?

Rotation in spherical coordinates is a mathematical concept that describes the movement of a point or object in three-dimensional space. It involves rotating an object around a fixed point, known as the origin, using three angles: azimuth, elevation, and distance.

2. How is rotation in spherical coordinates different from rotation in Cartesian coordinates?

The main difference between rotation in spherical coordinates and Cartesian coordinates is the use of different coordinate systems. In Cartesian coordinates, rotation is described using the x, y, and z axes, while in spherical coordinates, it is described using the azimuth, elevation, and distance angles.

3. What is the relationship between spherical coordinates and polar coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are an extension of polar coordinates in two dimensions. While polar coordinates use a distance and angle to describe a point in a two-dimensional plane, spherical coordinates add an additional angle to describe a point in three-dimensional space.

4. How is rotation in spherical coordinates used in physics and engineering?

Rotation in spherical coordinates is used in various fields, including physics and engineering, to describe the movement of objects in three-dimensional space. It is particularly useful in situations where the movement is not constrained to a single plane, as in the case of objects moving in a spherical or curved trajectory.

5. Can rotation in spherical coordinates be visualized?

Yes, rotation in spherical coordinates can be visualized using various tools such as 3D modeling software or physical models. These visualizations can help in understanding the movement and orientation of objects in space and can aid in solving complex rotation problems.