Rotation of Axes: 5x^3+10x^2+20x+15

In summary, the equation for the new coordinate system after rotating 5x^3+10x^2+20x+15 through an angle of 45 degrees is given by the parametric equation New X= xcos(theta)+ycos(theta) and New Y=-xsin(theta)+ycos(theta). In order to find an explicit formula for the relationship between X and Y, the original equation can be substituted into the parametric equations and solved for the parameter x. Alternatively, an explicit formula may be obtained by eliminating the parameter x from the parametric equations.
Ledsnyder

Homework Statement

5x^3+10x^2+20x+15 is rotated through the angle 45 degrees to new xy coordinate system.Whats the equation to the coordinate system?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

New X= xcos(theta)+ycos(theta) New Y=-xsin(theta)+ycos(theta)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ledsnyder said:

Homework Statement

5x^3+10x^2+20x+15 is rotated through the angle 45 degrees to new xy coordinate system.Whats the equation to the coordinate system?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

New X= xcos(theta)+ycos(theta) New Y=-xsin(theta)+ycos(theta)

So...? Show the rest of your work.

I have the equations.I just don't know how to find the new equation based on the coordinates.

Ledsnyder said:
I have the equations.I just don't know how to find the new equation based on the coordinates.

What is preventing you from putting in ##y = 5x^3+10x^2+20x+15## into the expressions for ##X## and ##Y##? This will, at least, give you a "parametric" form of the relationship between ##X## and ##Y## along the curve (the parameter will be ##x##). It might be harder if you want an explicit formula of the form ##Y = f(X)## (or maybe ##G(X,Y) = 0##) in which the parameter ##x## has been eliminated, but I suggest you give it a try. Or have you already done that?

1. What is the general form of a polynomial function?

The general form of a polynomial function is f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where an is the leading coefficient, n is the degree of the polynomial, and a0 is the constant term.

2. How can I determine the degree of a polynomial function?

The degree of a polynomial function is the highest exponent in the function. In this case, the degree is 3 because the term with the highest exponent is 5x3.

3. What is the relationship between the rotation of axes and polynomial functions?

The rotation of axes is a transformation that allows us to change the orientation of the coordinate system, making it easier to graph certain functions. In this case, rotating the axes can help us graph the polynomial function 5x^3+10x^2+20x+15 in a more convenient way.

4. How can I rotate the axes of a polynomial function?

To rotate the axes, we use the rotation matrix [cosθ -sinθ; sinθ cosθ], where θ is the angle of rotation. We multiply this matrix by the coordinates of each point in the original graph to obtain the coordinates of the rotated points. This will result in a new graph with a rotated coordinate system.

5. Can I rotate the axes of any polynomial function?

Yes, you can rotate the axes of any polynomial function. However, it may not always be necessary or helpful to do so. It depends on the function and the purpose of the graph. In some cases, it may be easier to graph the function without rotating the axes.