Rotational angular mommentum?

In summary, the barbell in the previous exercise has a negligible angular momentum about its center of mass, due to the fact that the rod it is mounted on rotates. However, the barbell does have a translational momentum about its center of mass.
ohheytai
A barbell consists of two small balls, each with mass 400 grams (0.4 kg), at the ends of a very low mass rod of length d = 35 cm (0.35 m). The center of the barbell is mounted on the end of a low mass rigid rod of length b = 0.525 m (see Figure). The apparatus is started in such a way that although the rod rotates clockwise with angular speed 80 rad/s, the barbell maintains its vertical orientation.

calculate Lrot
Lrot= I[tex]\omega[/tex]
I=mr^2

i tried
(.8kg)*.35^2*80rads/s
and
(.8kg)*.525^2*80rads/s
both are wrong can someone help me?

and i also need help finding the the translational angular momentum too

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the figure? (Post the entire problem if you can.)

yes here it is

Attachments

• WA2.jpg
    WA2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 2,932
ohheytai said:
i tried
(.8kg)*.35^2*80rads/s
I'd say that is correct. There's no angular momentum of the barbell about its center of mass, since it doesn't rotate.

and i also need help finding the the translational [STRIKE]angular [/STRIKE]momentum too
What have you tried? The direction of the translational momentum (not angular) depends on where it is in its motion.

(.8kg)*.35^2*80rads/s is wrong :( and I am just so lost right now. web assign keeps telling me I am wrong and you say I am right so I am so confused right now

ohheytai said:
(.8kg)*.35^2*80rads/s is wrong :( and I am just so lost right now. web assign keeps telling me I am wrong and you say I am right so I am so confused right now
Oops... my bad. That should be 0.525 m, not 0.35. (I got the distances mixed up.) So your other choice was correct:
(.8kg)*.525^2*80rads/s

You need both magnitude and direction. What did you put for the direction?

zero magnitude and no direction

ohheytai said:
zero magnitude and no direction
:confused: You just gave the formula for calculating the magnitude, so how can it be zero magnitude?

the manitude of Ltrans = r*psin theta right? so it would be .8kg*80rads/s*.525m?

for Lrot is 0 magnitude and no direction. i got that part right

ohheytai said:
the manitude of Ltrans = r*psin theta right? so it would be .8kg*80rads/s*.525m?
Yes.

ohheytai said:
for Lrot is 0 magnitude and no direction. i got that part right
So they wanted Lrot about the center of mass, not the axis of rotation (point B in the diagram)? In which case the attempts in your first posts were irrelevant?

i have no idea :(

its wrong i tried -33.6 and positive 33.6 both are wrong :(

same figure in the book
-------------------------------------
11.X.6
The barbell in the previous exercise is mounted on the end of a low-mass rigid rod of length b = 0.9m (Figure 11.22). The apparatus is started in such a way that although the rod rotates clockwise with angular speed w1=15 rad/s, the barbell maintains its vertical orientation.

same figure in the book
Figure 11.22 A barbell pivoted on a low-mass rotating rod. The barbell does not rotate.

(a) Calculate Lrot (both direction and magnitude).
(b) Calculate Ltrans,B (both direction and magnitude).
(c) Calculate Ltot,B (both direction and magnitude).

Answer:
(a)Lrot=0 ; (b) Ltrans = 9.72 kg · m2/s into page; (c)Ltot = 9.72 kg · m2/s into page

Related to Rotational angular mommentum?

1. What is rotational angular momentum?

Rotational angular momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to keep rotating around an axis. It is dependent on the mass, velocity, and distance of the object from the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Linear momentum refers to the motion of an object in a straight line, while rotational angular momentum refers to the motion of an object around an axis. Linear momentum is a vector quantity, while rotational angular momentum is a vector quantity that also has a direction of rotation.

3. How is rotational angular momentum calculated?

Rotational angular momentum (L) is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) of the object by its angular velocity (ω). L = Iω. The moment of inertia is a measure of the object's resistance to rotational motion, while angular velocity is the rate of change of its angular position.

4. What is the conservation of rotational angular momentum?

The conservation of rotational angular momentum states that in a closed system, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if there are no external torques acting on an object, its angular momentum will remain the same.

5. How is rotational angular momentum used in real life?

Rotational angular momentum is used in various real-life applications, such as in machinery, vehicles, and sports. In machinery, it is used to design efficient rotating components, while in vehicles, it is important for stability and control. In sports, rotational angular momentum is used in activities such as figure skating, gymnastics, and diving.