Rotational dynamics of a block in a cone

In summary, the problem involves a small block with mass m placed inside an inverted cone rotating about a vertical axis at a constant height above the apex of the cone. The coefficient of static friction between the block and cone is u. The minimum and maximum values for the time T of one revolution of the cone are determined by considering the forces of gravity, normal, and centrifugal acting on the block. The friction force must be equal or less than the forces trying to move the block in order for it to remain stationary.
Tomforideer
1. Homework Statement [/b]

A small block with mass m is placed inside an inverted cone that is rotating about a vertical axis such that the time for one revolution of the cone is T. The walls of the cone make an angle v with the vertical. The coefficient of static friction is between the block and cone is "u". If the block is to remain at a constant height above the apex of the cone, what are the minimum and maximum values of T?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello guys and gals, really am at a loss here.
In order for the block to remain stationary the static friction force (F) must be larger in magnitude than the forces that try to pull it down or push it up, right?
And F is the Normal force multiplied with the coefficient u.
The force required to keep the block stationary in the x-axis is m*4*pi*r/T^2.
To get the radius i take r=h*tanv.
However identifying all this basic stuff is as far i get. I can't get any farther than this.
I can't seem to identify which forces oppose which forces in the x and y axes.
Badly drawn sketch attached.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Physics.jpg
    Physics.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
First, friction force cannot be larger than the force that try to move it up or down, it can only be equal or less. You can think what would happen otherwise. The block isn't stationary in x direction - it's always moving. And i think you forget gravity. Just draw forces on the block - gravity, normal and centrifugal. Then you might get idea why there is minimum and maximum values of T.

housemartin said:
First, friction force cannot be larger than the force that try to move it up or down, it can only be equal or less. You can think what would happen otherwise. The block isn't stationary in x direction - it's always moving. And i think you forget gravity. Just draw forces on the block - gravity, normal and centrifugal. Then you might get idea why there is minimum and maximum values of T.

Ok thanks ill give it another try.

Related to Rotational dynamics of a block in a cone

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of an object when it is rotating about an axis.

2. How does a block behave when placed in a cone?

When a block is placed in a cone, it experiences a combination of rotational and translational motion.

3. What factors affect the rotational dynamics of a block in a cone?

The rotational dynamics of a block in a cone is affected by the mass and shape of the block, the angle of the cone, and any external forces acting on the block.

4. How does the angle of the cone affect the rotational dynamics of the block?

The angle of the cone determines the magnitude and direction of the gravitational force acting on the block, which affects its rotational dynamics.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational dynamics in a block and cone system?

Some examples include the motion of a spinning top, the behavior of a gyroscope, and the movement of a satellite in orbit around a planet.