Rotational Dynamics on a stool

In summary, a skinny student of 40 kg sits on a stool with a weight of 20 kg that can rotate. The student is holding two 8 kg bowling balls with his arms outstretched, while being spun at an angular velocity of 2 rad.s-1. When the student pulls his arms in towards him, the angular velocity remains constant due to the conservation of angular momentum. To find the final angular velocity, the student needs to use the equation L=Iw, where L is the angular momentum and I is the moment of inertia. In this case, the student needs to model the person-chair as a cylinder and the weights as point masses to calculate the moment of inertia and determine the final angular velocity.
sauri
A skinny student (40 kg) sits on a stool that can rotate, holding two 8 kg bowling balls with his arms out stretched. The stool weighs 20 kg. The student and stool are spun such that they have an angular velocity of 2 rad.s-1.
When the student pulls his arms in towards him, what happens to his angular velocity and what is his final angular velocity when they rest in his lap?
I know I have to find [tex]\omega[\tex] and I think using [tex]L=I\omega[\tex] should be the key. Only L and I are unknown..any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
sauri said:
A skinny student (40 kg) sits on a stool that can rotate, holding two 8 kg bowling balls with his arms out stretched. The stool weighs 20 kg. The student and stool are spun such that they have an angular velocity of 2 rad.s-1.
When the student pulls his arms in towards him, what happens to his angular velocity and what is his final angular velocity when they rest in his lap?
I know I have to find [tex]\omega[\tex] and I think using [tex]L=I\omega[\tex] should be the key. Only L and I are unknown..any ideas?

Well, there are no net external torques on the system so it sounds like angular momentum should be conserved.

-Dan

So L(initial)=L(final), so we find the kinertic energy (Iw^2)/2, find I and and substitute it to L=Iw and find w?

That's about it. Just a quick note on latex, at the end you need to use [/tex] not [\tex], apart from that, your code is correct. If you want to put code on the same line use the [itex] tags instead of [tex] :smile:

When trying to find I from the k.e equation there was a prob that I ran into. The kinetic energy of the system is not given. K.E=(Iw^2). I don't see how (mv^2)/2 can be used as we do not know v, only w is known.

sauri said:
When trying to find I from the k.e equation there was a prob that I ran into. The kinetic energy of the system is not given. K.E=(Iw^2). I don't see how (mv^2)/2 can be used as we do not know v, only w is known.
It looks like you have to make some assumptions about the persons dimensions and the length of his arms.

Rotational kinetic energy is [tex]\frac{1}{2}I \omega^2[/tex]

Moment of Inertia (I) is [tex]I = mr^2[/tex]

Linear velocity (v) is [tex]v = r \omega[/tex]

where r=2(pi) right?. Then we find v and sbstitute to (mv^2)/2=(Iw^2)/2 and find I which we sunstitute into L=Iw and find L right?. so what's [tex]I = mr^2[/tex] for?

sauri said:
where r=2(pi) right?. Then we find v and sbstitute to (mv^2)/2=(Iw^2)/2 and find I which we sunstitute into L=Iw and find L right?. so what's [tex]I = mr^2[/tex] for?
r is the radius.

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m v^2[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}m (r \omega)^2[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}m r^2 \omega^2[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}I \omega^2[/tex]

The [tex]I = m r^2[/tex] only applies for a point-mass or ring (since all the units of mass have the same I). The moment of inertia for anything else is a sum of the moments of inertia for all of the point-masses that make up the object.

For the original problem, you need to model the person-chair as a cylinder and find the moment of inertia for a cylinder and model the weights as point masses. You can derive the equation for the moment of inertia for a cylinder yourself ([tex]I = \Sigma m_i r_i^2[/tex]) or look up the formula in a book or on-line.

Related to Rotational Dynamics on a stool

1. How does rotational dynamics work on a stool?

Rotational dynamics on a stool involves the study of the movement and forces involved when a person sits on a stool and rotates their body. This can be analyzed using principles of angular velocity, angular acceleration, and torque.

2. What is the relationship between the stool's height and rotational dynamics?

The stool's height can affect rotational dynamics, as it can change the distance between the person's center of mass and the stool's axis of rotation. This can impact the stool's stability and the rotational forces acting on the person.

3. How does the stool's shape impact rotational dynamics?

The stool's shape can also affect rotational dynamics. A stool with a wider base will be more stable and resist tipping over, while a stool with a narrower base may be more prone to tipping. The shape can also impact the distribution of weight and forces acting on the stool.

4. What is the role of friction in rotational dynamics on a stool?

Friction plays a crucial role in rotational dynamics on a stool. It provides the necessary force to prevent the stool from slipping or sliding while the person is rotating. It also affects the stability of the stool and the forces needed to initiate and maintain rotation.

5. How can rotational dynamics on a stool be applied in real-life situations?

Rotational dynamics on a stool has practical applications in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes use their body's rotational motion to perform complex movements and maneuvers. It can also be applied in engineering and design, such as in the construction of amusement park rides or furniture.