Rotational Dynamics (Rotating pulley)

In summary, the problem involves a descending pulley with a radius of 20 cm and a moment of inertia of 0.2 kg m^{2}. The fixed pulley is light and the horizontal plane is frictionless. The task is to find the acceleration of a one kg block attached to the pulley. In order to solve the problem, the tension in both segments of the rope must be determined, which can be found using the equation T=a. The mass of the pulley can be calculated using the given moment of inertia and the shape of the pulley, which can be assumed to be a disk. Additionally, the acceleration of the pulley will be half the acceleration of the block, and the equation a=r*\alpha
ritwik06

Homework Statement

The descending pulley shown in the figure has a radius 20 cm and moment of inertia [tex]0.2 kg m^{2}[/tex]. The fixed pulley is light and the horizontal plane frictionless.
Find the acceleration of the block if its mass is One kg.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1808/diagrammj2.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure whether the lower pulley will rotate or not but as the moment of inertia and the radius is given, I think it will. Please explain this:

Assuming the lower pulley rotates.
Tension in the left segment =T
And in the right segment =T' (since there must be friction present for the lower pulley to rotate)

T=a (a is acceleration of block)

Mg-(T+T')=Ma*0.5 (where M is the mass of the pulley - which is unknown, how will I take this out?)

The acceleration of the pulley will be half the acceleration of the block, isn't it?

Torque=I*angular acceleration
0.2(T'-T)=0.2(a/2R) (R=0.2 m given)

The answer given in my book is 10 m/s2 but I am not sure how to get the mass of the pulley? Where exactly am I going wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you should be able to get the mass from the given moment of inertia --- sometimes also known as the "angular mass" or "mass moment of inertia."

Edited to add: Hint: what shape is the pulley?

Last edited:
physics girl phd said:
you should be able to get the mass from the given moment of inertia --- sometimes also known as the "angular mass" or "mass moment of inertia."

Edited to add: Hint: what shape is the pulley?

It hasnt been provided in th question- the shape of the pulley- Can it be assume to be a disk!

Also I need assistance on this equation of mine!
Do u agree that the 2* acceleration of pulley = acceleration of block(a)

Then while using a=r*[tex]\alpha[/tex]
what shall I put a?? acceleration of pulley or of block?

Related to Rotational Dynamics (Rotating pulley)

What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the movement and behavior of objects that are rotating or in circular motion. It involves the application of Newton's laws of motion to rotating objects and can be used to analyze the behavior of systems like rotating pulleys.

What is a rotating pulley?

A rotating pulley is a mechanical device that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim that rotates around an axis. It is commonly used to change the direction of a force and transmit power by means of a belt or rope passing over the pulley. The rotation of the pulley can also be used to lift or lower objects.

What is the difference between rotational and linear motion?

The main difference between rotational and linear motion is the type of path or trajectory that an object follows. In linear motion, an object moves along a straight line, while in rotational motion, an object moves along a circular path around an axis. Additionally, the forces involved in rotational motion are different from those involved in linear motion.

How is torque related to rotational dynamics?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In rotational dynamics, torque is used to describe the tendency of an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated as the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Torque plays a crucial role in determining the rotational motion and equilibrium of objects.

How can rotational dynamics be applied in real-life situations?

Rotational dynamics is used in various real-life situations, such as in the design and analysis of machines and mechanical systems, such as engines, turbines, and gears. It is also used in sports, such as in the movement of a discus or a ball in a game of football. Additionally, rotational dynamics is used in everyday objects like bicycles, toys, and household appliances that involve rotating parts.