Rotational Motion with a Suspended Hinge

In summary, the problem involves a thin rod being suddenly pushed with a horizontal force of 12.7 N at either the bottom end or midpoint. The goal is to find the acceleration of the center of mass in both cases, as well as the horizontal force exerted by the hinge and the point where the impulse can be applied with no horizontal force from the hinge. The equations used include Fnet = ma and torque = moment of inertia times angular acceleration.
MF92
The Problem:
A thin rod of mass 0.490 kg and length 1.16 m is at rest, hanging vertically from a strong, fixed hinge at its top end. Suddenly, a horizontal impulsive force (12.7) N is applied to it.
a) Suppose the force acts at the bottom end of the rod. Find the acceleration of its center of mass.
(b) Find the horizontal force the hinge exerts.
(c) Suppose the force acts at the midpoint of the rod. Find the acceleration of this point.
(d) Find the horizontal hinge reaction force.
(e) Where can the impulse be applied so that the hinge will exert no horizontal force? This point is called the center of percussion.

2. Homework Equations
Fnet=ma
Fnet=m(accelertaiton of center of mass)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I attempted to use the Fnet equation to solve for the acceleration but I got the wrong answer. I'm nor sure how to fiqure out the parts b or d and I'm sure that once I fiqure our part a part c wil be fairly easy. I'm kinda running around in circles with this problem. If someone could just give me a jumping off point, not necessarily the answer, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the relation torque = moment of inertia times angular acceleration, too.

ehild

Last edited:
Thank you very much , that helped a lot! It was that push in the right direction that I needed.

Related to Rotational Motion with a Suspended Hinge

1. What is rotational motion with a suspended hinge?

Rotational motion with a suspended hinge refers to the movement of an object or system around a fixed axis of rotation, while being supported by a hinge or pivot point.

2. What is the significance of a suspended hinge in rotational motion?

The suspended hinge serves as the axis of rotation for the object or system, allowing it to rotate freely in a fixed plane. It also provides stability and support for the object during rotational motion.

3. How is rotational motion with a suspended hinge different from other types of motion?

Rotational motion with a suspended hinge is a type of rotational motion, which is different from linear or translational motion. In rotational motion, the object or system moves along a circular path, while in linear motion, it moves in a straight line.

4. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion with a suspended hinge?

Some common examples of rotational motion with a suspended hinge include a pendulum, a swing set, a revolving door, and a Ferris wheel. These objects all have a fixed point of rotation (hinge or pivot) and move in a circular path around it.

5. How is rotational motion with a suspended hinge related to conservation of angular momentum?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of an object or system remains constant in the absence of external torques. In rotational motion with a suspended hinge, the angular momentum is conserved as the object or system rotates around the fixed axis of rotation.